Hummers have the potential to make big gains in MPG

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Aug 2008, 03:27 pm   #1 (permalink)
aol@aol.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Hummers have the potential to make big gains in MPG

link here.... http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080810/...ilpipe_power_2
  Reply With Quote
Old 12 Aug 2008, 07:16 pm   #2 (permalink)
Bob & Holly Wilson
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Hummers have the potential to make big gains in MPG

aol@aol.com <geneccc@gmail.com> wrote:

> link here.... http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080810/...ilpipe_power_2


Uh, hummers are choking up the dealer lots and coming off lease without
buyers. So why should anyone care?

The sooner hummpers are melted down into scrap steel, the sooner more
Prius can be produced.

Bob Wilson

  Reply With Quote
Old 12 Aug 2008, 07:30 pm   #3 (permalink)
Michelle Steiner
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Hummers have the potential to make big gains in MPG

In article <1ilkq0x.1u00wkyiuhna7N%bwilson4use@hotmail.com> ,
bwilson4use@hotmail.com (Bob & Holly Wilson) wrote:

> The sooner hummpers are melted down into scrap steel, the sooner more
> Prius can be produced.


I don't think that a scarcity of steel is hindering Prius production.

--
Donate to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society; help send Michelle to the marathon.
<http://www.active.com/donate/tntdms/tntdmsMSteine>
  Reply With Quote
Old 12 Aug 2008, 08:09 pm   #4 (permalink)
David Kelly
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Hummers have the potential to make big gains in MPG

aol@aol.com wrote:
> link here.... http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080810/...ilpipe_power_2


Oooh! 10% improvement! Whoopie! Lets throw *lots* of government funding
at that project!

I like this one better: http://www.theonion.com/content/node/83979,
submitted it to toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com but was rejected by the
list censors. No sense of humor.
  Reply With Quote
Old 13 Aug 2008, 08:32 am   #5 (permalink)
Bob & Holly Wilson
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Hummers have the potential to make big gains in MPG

Michelle Steiner <michelle@michelle.org> wrote:

> In article <1ilkq0x.1u00wkyiuhna7N%bwilson4use@hotmail.com> ,
> bwilson4use@hotmail.com (Bob & Holly Wilson) wrote:
>
> > The sooner hummpers are melted down into scrap steel, the sooner more
> > Prius can be produced.

>
> I don't think that a scarcity of steel is hindering Prius production.


True, it is the nickel and copper used in the Hummer that needs
recycling. <grins>

Bob Wilson
  Reply With Quote
Old 13 Aug 2008, 08:59 am   #6 (permalink)
Was Istoben
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Hummers have the potential to make big gains in MPG


"Bob & Holly Wilson" <bwilson4use@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1illrd8.1qxsl1axx4qgN%bwilson4use@hotmail.com ...
> Michelle Steiner <michelle@michelle.org> wrote:
>
>> In article <1ilkq0x.1u00wkyiuhna7N%bwilson4use@hotmail.com> ,
>> bwilson4use@hotmail.com (Bob & Holly Wilson) wrote:
>>
>> > The sooner hummpers are melted down into scrap steel, the sooner more
>> > Prius can be produced.

>>
>> I don't think that a scarcity of steel is hindering Prius production.

>
> True, it is the nickel and copper used in the Hummer that needs
> recycling. <grins>
>
> Bob Wilson


Yep. Too bad about the battery shortage. Reduced demand is driving the
price of gas down. Gee, who would have guessed? It's like the 70's all
over again. Now that this generation has learned it's lesson, we'll have
another pinto era and then start advertising big, hollow SUVs again.

  Reply With Quote
Old 14 Aug 2008, 06:30 am   #7 (permalink)
NorthTxPriusClub
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Hummers have the potential to make big gains in MPG

On Aug 12, 8:09 pm, David Kelly <n4...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> a...@aol.com wrote:
> > link here....http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080810/...ilpipe_power_2

>
> Oooh! 10% improvement! Whoopie! Lets throw *lots* of government funding
> at that project!
>
> I like this one better:http://www.theonion.com/content/node/83979,
> submitted it to toyota-pr...@yahoogroups.com but was rejected by the
> list censors. No sense of humor.


i think you totally missed the point it is a simple (and likely
relatively inexpensive) device that can pull a 10% improvement from
thin air. It looks like it may even be possible to do a retrofit on
existing vehicles.

If this thing works and can be fitted to most the vehicles in America
it alone would provide the equivalent of ANWR and the continental
shelves could in ten years.

I can't believe I am hearing that sort of dismissive comment coming
from a Prius board.

It's time EVERYONE realized there will be no gun with a single silver
bullet to solve our energy problem but if we are lucky there may be a
silver shotgun. This idea is but one pellet from that shotgun.
  Reply With Quote
Old 14 Aug 2008, 06:41 am   #8 (permalink)
Bob & Holly Wilson
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Prius forum [Re: Hummers ...]

NorthTxPriusClub <steven.ivy@gmail.com> wrote:

....
> I can't believe I am hearing that sort of dismissive comment coming
> from a Prius board.


Well let that be a lesson learned. If you really want to sell Hummer
improvements, find a forum full of Hummer owners.

I know! I know where!! Find a used car lot. They have a lot of Hummers
there. No doubt they would love to see you and your gadget. Heck, you
might even help them sell some.

Bob Wilson
  Reply With Quote
Old 14 Aug 2008, 09:55 pm   #9 (permalink)
David Kelly
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Hummers have the potential to make big gains in MPG

NorthTxPriusClub wrote:
>
> i think you totally missed the point it is a simple (and likely
> relatively inexpensive) device that can pull a 10% improvement from
> thin air. It looks like it may even be possible to do a retrofit on
> existing vehicles.


A 10% improvement is trivial, there are many inexpensive proven ways to
get a measly 10%. Narrower tires. Higher tire pressure (the Obama
solution). Smaller engine. Drafting the vehicle in front of you.

One of the most effective and inexpensive means is the Chicken Egg and
Duct Tape solution. Duct tape a chicken egg to the gas pedal and don't
break it while driving.

However the referenced device only achieves 5% on a Suburban, with a
*goal* of 10%. I was being generous by giving credit for the full 10%.

Something they seem to be forgetting is that when one cools the exhaust
pipe the engine efficiency goes down. Hot tip among racers is to wrap
exhausts to keep them hot.

I think a thermoelectric generator would be more practical on the radiator.

Years ago I worked on a prototype being proposed to the National Guard
for their many lightly used Diesel trucks, many dating back to WW-II
surplus. The proposal used a thermoelectric generator and burner cooled
by the vehicle engine's cooling system. The electricity was to charge
the 48V battery every month or so. The heat would serve as a block
warmer for starting the engine in cold temperatures.

I was only an engineer on the project so I don't really know why it was
rejected other than the impression I got was much the same as what
happened when the automatic dishwasher was introduced. Housewives
actually *liked* the ritual of washing dishes after a meal. They liked
directing and participating in a coordinated family task. It seemed the
National Guard liked sending guys out in the fields every month to start
the trucks. That is was good practice and training for diagnosing
problems an keeping the old things running. That we were asking for
money for a product that eliminated what they thought was a useful exercise.

As I remember the thermoelectric generator was not cheap, and it didn't
generate much electricity relative to the heat it was provided.
  Reply With Quote
Old 14 Aug 2008, 11:15 pm   #10 (permalink)
Michelle Steiner
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Hummers have the potential to make big gains in MPG

In article <abeb9$48a4f014$d8ba94f9$6613@KNOLOGY.NET>,
David Kelly <n4hhe@yahoo.com> wrote:

> A 10% improvement is trivial, there are many inexpensive proven ways
> to get a measly 10%. Narrower tires. Higher tire pressure (the Obama
> solution).


Well, first of all, it is not the Obama solution; it is a solution
recommended by US Government agencies and various automotive groups.
Secondly, it's not "higher tire pressure"; it is "proper tire pressure".

--
Donate to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society; help send Michelle to the marathon.
<http://www.active.com/donate/tntdms/tntdmsMSteine>
  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:05 pm.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.