Green vehicles of 2007

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Apr 2007, 09:44 pm   #1 (permalink)
Spam away
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Green vehicles of 2007

A good summary of the 12 best and worst green vehicles.
http://www.greenercars.com/bestof.html

In the best list it's all Asian makes. Most here know who they are!
In the worst Mercedes has 4 places and Chrysler has 2, giving DC 50% of
the worst vehicles.
  Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2007, 12:56 pm   #2 (permalink)
Dori A Schmetterling
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Green vehicles of 2007

Doesn't pass any So What? test.

No analysis of fleet make-up and total energy cost.

The Toyota Prius is particularly good at salving rich Hollywood stars'
consciences.

A friend has one. Not that fuel efficient.

DAS
--
For direct replies replace nospam with schmetterling
---
"Spam away" <Trashhere@spam.net> wrote in message
news:Trashhere-6CF17C.19440619042007@news.telus.net...
>A good summary of the 12 best and worst green vehicles.
> http://www.greenercars.com/bestof.html
>
> In the best list it's all Asian makes. Most here know who they are!
> In the worst Mercedes has 4 places and Chrysler has 2, giving DC 50% of
> the worst vehicles.



  Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2007, 01:19 pm   #3 (permalink)
Chuck Olson
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Green vehicles of 2007


"Spam away" <Trashhere@spam.net> wrote in message
news:Trashhere-6CF17C.19440619042007@news.telus.net...
> A good summary of the 12 best and worst green vehicles.
> http://www.greenercars.com/bestof.html
>
> In the best list it's all Asian makes. Most here know who they are!
> In the worst Mercedes has 4 places and Chrysler has 2, giving DC 50% of
> the worst vehicles.


The Honda Civic GX as a compressed natural gas user is touted #1 in this
rating. Great! Remember when the Diesel Rabbit came out and a number of
carmakers decided this was the way to save money on gasoline?. Right. Diesel
oil that had been running maybe 70% to 90% of the cost of gasoline suddenly
shot up to prices consistently (to this day) higher than gasoline, despite
the easier (I believe) process of refining. I guess we can all count on
winter home heating costs to skyrocket, now. Great!

However even apart from this wonderful development, we still have the CNG
engine idling for hours in big city rush hour traffic, while the Prius just
turns on its engine every now and then to recharge the battery most
efficiently when needed. I'm sure that Civic GX is real green then.

Chuck


  Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2007, 02:54 pm   #4 (permalink)
Tomes
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Green vehicles of 2007

"Dori A Schmetterling" ...
> Doesn't pass any So What? test.
>
> No analysis of fleet make-up and total energy cost.
>
> The Toyota Prius is particularly good at salving rich Hollywood stars'
> consciences.
>
> A friend has one. Not that fuel efficient.
>

Why do you say this exactly? I get about 53 MPG these days on mine. I am
pretty happy with that so far.
Tomes


  Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2007, 03:24 pm   #5 (permalink)
DH
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Green vehicles of 2007

"Dori A Schmetterling" <info@nospam.co.uk> wrote in message
news:NrydnZyes5RCY7XbnZ2dnUVZ8tqinZ2d@pipex.net...
> Doesn't pass any So What? test.
>
> No analysis of fleet make-up and total energy cost.
>
> The Toyota Prius is particularly good at salving rich Hollywood stars'
> consciences.
>
> A friend has one. Not that fuel efficient.
>
> DAS


Not that fuel efficient compared to what?

I don't have a Prius, yet, but three of my friends do. None live in
Hollywood. They all love their Priuses and are very happy with the gas
mileage. They get 45 to 53 in town, where they would normally get, at best,
in the upper 20's with an economy car. We have a lot of l-o-n-g stoplights
here and a car that recaptures braking energy and doesn't idle saves a LOT
of fuel.

And they're happy with the highway fuel economy but the improvement is not
as impressive - they typically get 45-48 on the highway and a Corolla,
driven reasonably, might achieve low 40's.

> For direct replies replace nospam with schmetterling
> ---
> "Spam away" <Trashhere@spam.net> wrote in message
> news:Trashhere-6CF17C.19440619042007@news.telus.net...
>>A good summary of the 12 best and worst green vehicles.
>> http://www.greenercars.com/bestof.html
>>
>> In the best list it's all Asian makes. Most here know who they are!
>> In the worst Mercedes has 4 places and Chrysler has 2, giving DC 50% of
>> the worst vehicles.




--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

  Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2007, 03:31 pm   #6 (permalink)
Go Mavs
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Green vehicles of 2007

My Yaris has been getting hella good gas mileage... and it is non hybrid...
I think I have actually been getting over the listed mpg....


"DH" <dh@stargate.com> wrote in message
news:46291529$0$16377$88260bb3@free.teranews.com.. .
> "Dori A Schmetterling" <info@nospam.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:NrydnZyes5RCY7XbnZ2dnUVZ8tqinZ2d@pipex.net...
>> Doesn't pass any So What? test.
>>
>> No analysis of fleet make-up and total energy cost.
>>
>> The Toyota Prius is particularly good at salving rich Hollywood stars'
>> consciences.
>>
>> A friend has one. Not that fuel efficient.
>>
>> DAS

>
> Not that fuel efficient compared to what?
>
> I don't have a Prius, yet, but three of my friends do. None live in
> Hollywood. They all love their Priuses and are very happy with the gas
> mileage. They get 45 to 53 in town, where they would normally get, at
> best, in the upper 20's with an economy car. We have a lot of l-o-n-g
> stoplights here and a car that recaptures braking energy and doesn't idle
> saves a LOT of fuel.
>
> And they're happy with the highway fuel economy but the improvement is not
> as impressive - they typically get 45-48 on the highway and a Corolla,
> driven reasonably, might achieve low 40's.
>
>> For direct replies replace nospam with schmetterling
>> ---
>> "Spam away" <Trashhere@spam.net> wrote in message
>> news:Trashhere-6CF17C.19440619042007@news.telus.net...
>>>A good summary of the 12 best and worst green vehicles.
>>> http://www.greenercars.com/bestof.html
>>>
>>> In the best list it's all Asian makes. Most here know who they are!
>>> In the worst Mercedes has 4 places and Chrysler has 2, giving DC 50% of
>>> the worst vehicles.

>
>
>
> --
> Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2007, 03:35 pm   #7 (permalink)
Robert Reynolds
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Green vehicles of 2007

Chuck Olson wrote:

>
> However even apart from this wonderful development, we still have the CNG
> engine idling for hours in big city rush hour traffic, while the Prius just
> turns on its engine every now and then to recharge the battery most
> efficiently when needed. I'm sure that Civic GX is real green then.
>
> Chuck
>



What are the side effects of manufacturing these batteries anyway?
  Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2007, 06:59 pm   #8 (permalink)
The Henchman
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Green vehicles of 2007


"Robert Reynolds" <robbie@kcnet.com> wrote in message
news:132i5co8gr3l4e4@corp.supernews.com...
> Chuck Olson wrote:
>
>>
>> However even apart from this wonderful development, we still have the CNG
>> engine idling for hours in big city rush hour traffic, while the Prius
>> just
>> turns on its engine every now and then to recharge the battery most
>> efficiently when needed. I'm sure that Civic GX is real green then.
>>
>> Chuck
>>

>
>
> What are the side effects of manufacturing these batteries anyway?


Nickel is in batteries. Go look up the environmental damages cause by
mining and smelting nickel. Also the prius is prolly only a car that lasts
for 100 000 miles or so making it a short-life car. Great for our
landfills.

I equate driving a Toyota prius as creating more damage to our environment
than a Hummer, which should get you 300 000 miles in it's life and without
all those toxic batteries.

Want good gas mileage and curb destruction of the environment?? Then drive
a chevy Aveo or a Scion and drive the speed limit


  Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2007, 08:13 pm   #9 (permalink)
The Henchman
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Green vehicles of 2007


"Robert Reynolds" <robbie@kcnet.com> wrote in message
news:132imerbks566c0@corp.supernews.com...
> The Henchman wrote:
>> "Robert Reynolds" <robbie@kcnet.com> wrote in message
>> news:132i5co8gr3l4e4@corp.supernews.com...


> I'm not highly concerned about CO2 anyway. The thing that bugs me is the
> damage from pumping, transporting, and refining petroleum. Add to that
> the exotic metals and nonbiodegradable modern chemicals that get dumped
> every day and you have a big problem. I'm tired of the political hacks
> who talk about nothing but CO2 as if it were causing a problem, which it
> isn't.


You and I are in agreement!! And do some readin up on the environmental
destruction that solar panels cause when being manufactured, and they
require batteries as well, batteries that must remain over 50% charged.


  Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2007, 08:26 pm   #10 (permalink)
Robert Reynolds
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Green vehicles of 2007

The Henchman wrote:
> "Robert Reynolds" <robbie@kcnet.com> wrote in message
> news:132i5co8gr3l4e4@corp.supernews.com...
>> Chuck Olson wrote:
>>
>>> However even apart from this wonderful development, we still have the CNG
>>> engine idling for hours in big city rush hour traffic, while the Prius
>>> just
>>> turns on its engine every now and then to recharge the battery most
>>> efficiently when needed. I'm sure that Civic GX is real green then.
>>>
>>> Chuck
>>>

>>
>> What are the side effects of manufacturing these batteries anyway?

>
> Nickel is in batteries. Go look up the environmental damages cause by
> mining and smelting nickel. Also the prius is prolly only a car that lasts
> for 100 000 miles or so making it a short-life car. Great for our
> landfills.
>
> I equate driving a Toyota prius as creating more damage to our environment
> than a Hummer, which should get you 300 000 miles in it's life and without
> all those toxic batteries.
>
> Want good gas mileage and curb destruction of the environment?? Then drive
> a chevy Aveo or a Scion and drive the speed limit
>
>


I'm not highly concerned about CO2 anyway. The thing that bugs me is
the damage from pumping, transporting, and refining petroleum. Add to
that the exotic metals and nonbiodegradable modern chemicals that get
dumped every day and you have a big problem. I'm tired of the political
hacks who talk about nothing but CO2 as if it were causing a problem,
which it isn't.
  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:53 am.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.