Wall street journal

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Mar 2009, 08:10 pm   #1 (permalink)
in2dadark
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Wall street journal

I've been getting the wall street journal off and on for about the
last 6 years. Funny thing is I never pay for it. They send me a
'professional courtesy' offer of 99$ for a year of online and home
delivery. I say yes send it. I don't pay and after a month to 6 weeks
they cancel and send a bill with threats of collection.

Two to three weekd later I get the same offer and send it in and my
subscription starts anew with no more collection attempts on the old
account. This has gone on for the last several years until finally
tonight I called and cancelled because I don't have time to read it.

Truth is , lately, the news in the journal is something I've seen on
tv or read about online by the time I get to my PO box at 11 or 12. It
didn't use to be that way. Used to be what I read in the journal would
appear the next day or two in other papers.

I think the WSJ's advantage is dwindling fast and their attempting to
keep up the subscriber numbers by 'giving' away their paper in a
thinly veiled way. Anyone else seeing this.

When I called to cancel tonight they practically begged me not to. I
said but I've NEVER paid for your paper in several years. They acted
like they didn't hear that...LOL ..What a riot..
  Reply With Quote
Old 02 Mar 2009, 08:33 pm   #2 (permalink)
Jeff
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Wall street journal

On Mar 2, 9:10*pm, in2dadark <in2dad...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I've been getting the wall street journal off and on for about the
> last 6 years. Funny thing is I never pay for it. They send me a
> 'professional courtesy' offer of 99$ for a year of online and home
> delivery. I say yes send it. I don't pay and after a month to 6 weeks
> they cancel and send a bill with threats of collection.
>
> Two to three weekd later I get the same offer and send it in and my
> subscription starts anew with no more collection attempts on the old
> account. This has gone on for the last several years until finally
> tonight I called and cancelled because I don't have time to read it.


In other words, you refused to pay for something you asked for.

In other words, stealing.

Jeff
  Reply With Quote
Old 02 Mar 2009, 09:08 pm   #3 (permalink)
Fat Moe
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Wall street journal

in2dadark wrote:
> I've been getting the wall street journal off and on for about the
> last 6 years. Funny thing is I never pay for it. They send me a
> 'professional courtesy' offer of 99$ for a year of online and home
> delivery. I say yes send it. I don't pay and after a month to 6 weeks
> they cancel and send a bill with threats of collection.
>
> Two to three weekd later I get the same offer and send it in and my
> subscription starts anew with no more collection attempts on the old
> account. This has gone on for the last several years until finally
> tonight I called and cancelled because I don't have time to read it.
>
> Truth is , lately, the news in the journal is something I've seen on
> tv or read about online by the time I get to my PO box at 11 or 12. It
> didn't use to be that way. Used to be what I read in the journal would
> appear the next day or two in other papers.
>
> I think the WSJ's advantage is dwindling fast and their attempting to
> keep up the subscriber numbers by 'giving' away their paper in a
> thinly veiled way. Anyone else seeing this.
>
> When I called to cancel tonight they practically begged me not to. I
> said but I've NEVER paid for your paper in several years. They acted
> like they didn't hear that...LOL ..What a riot..

I used to get the WSJ paper and online. But the financial news now is
all about the same. And printed papers are like GM their time has come
and gone.
Newsweek? I subscribed to that for years, but finally let it drop a
few years ago. I read everything they had online Sunday and got the
printed backup on Wed.
Satellite TV gets my bucks now, and the ISP both of which went up last
month.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02 Mar 2009, 09:23 pm   #4 (permalink)
Mark A
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Wall street journal

"in2dadark" <in2dadark@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:038ac6c3-9164-4395-9f82-e3d0d821ef36@q9g2000yqc.googlegroups.com...
> I've been getting the wall street journal off and on for about the
> last 6 years. Funny thing is I never pay for it. They send me a
> 'professional courtesy' offer of 99$ for a year of online and home
> delivery. I say yes send it. I don't pay and after a month to 6 weeks
> they cancel and send a bill with threats of collection.
>
> Two to three weekd later I get the same offer and send it in and my
> subscription starts anew with no more collection attempts on the old
> account. This has gone on for the last several years until finally
> tonight I called and cancelled because I don't have time to read it.
>
> Truth is , lately, the news in the journal is something I've seen on
> tv or read about online by the time I get to my PO box at 11 or 12. It
> didn't use to be that way. Used to be what I read in the journal would
> appear the next day or two in other papers.
>
> I think the WSJ's advantage is dwindling fast and their attempting to
> keep up the subscriber numbers by 'giving' away their paper in a
> thinly veiled way. Anyone else seeing this.
>
> When I called to cancel tonight they practically begged me not to. I
> said but I've NEVER paid for your paper in several years. They acted
> like they didn't hear that...LOL ..What a riot..


The people you talked to are not responsible for the profitability of the
company, so whether you paid or didn't pay is not their concern. They are
measured (and I do mean "measured") by the number of customers they retain
when you call them to cancel.

But keep in mind that the media doesn't just make money on subscriptions, in
fact they make most of their money on advertising. The more subscribers they
have (paid or free) the more they can charge for advertising. That is why
they want to keep you even if you don't pay for it.


  Reply With Quote
Old 03 Mar 2009, 07:42 am   #5 (permalink)
Retired VIP
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Wall street journal

On Mon, 2 Mar 2009 18:10:23 -0800 (PST), in2dadark
<in2dadark@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I've been getting the wall street journal off and on for about the
>last 6 years. Funny thing is I never pay for it. They send me a
>'professional courtesy' offer of 99$ for a year of online and home
>delivery. I say yes send it. I don't pay and after a month to 6 weeks
>they cancel and send a bill with threats of collection.
>
>Two to three weekd later I get the same offer and send it in and my
>subscription starts anew with no more collection attempts on the old
>account. This has gone on for the last several years until finally
>tonight I called and cancelled because I don't have time to read it.
>
>Truth is , lately, the news in the journal is something I've seen on
>tv or read about online by the time I get to my PO box at 11 or 12. It
>didn't use to be that way. Used to be what I read in the journal would
>appear the next day or two in other papers.
>
>I think the WSJ's advantage is dwindling fast and their attempting to
>keep up the subscriber numbers by 'giving' away their paper in a
>thinly veiled way. Anyone else seeing this.
>
>When I called to cancel tonight they practically begged me not to. I
>said but I've NEVER paid for your paper in several years. They acted
>like they didn't hear that...LOL ..What a riot..


Wow! Here is a guy who admits to stealing the WSJ over the years. Now
he's bitching because he isn't getting his money's worth.

Think about it asshole. If they hadn't had the cost of supplying you
with free papers, they would have had more money to put into news
gathering. Maybe they wouldn't have had to sell the company either.

Jack j
  Reply With Quote
Old 03 Mar 2009, 12:03 pm   #6 (permalink)
rigger
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Wall street journal

On Mar 2, 6:33*pm, Jeff <jeff....@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 2, 9:10*pm, in2dadark <in2dad...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > I've been getting the wall street journal off and on for about the
> > last 6 years. Funny thing is I never pay for it. They send me a
> > 'professional courtesy' offer of 99$ for a year of online and home
> > delivery. I say yes send it. I don't pay and after a month to 6 weeks
> > they cancel and send a bill with threats of collection.

>
> > Two to three weekd later I get the same offer and send it in and my
> > subscription starts anew with no more collection attempts on the old
> > account. This has gone on for the last several years until finally
> > tonight I called and cancelled because I don't have time to read it.

>
> In other words, you refused to pay for something you asked for.
>
> In other words, stealing.
>
> Jeff


******************************
"In other words, stealing."
******************************
I think they describe the perp correctly when
they call it "petty" theft.

dennis
in nca
  Reply With Quote
Old 03 Mar 2009, 12:25 pm   #7 (permalink)
Conscience
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Wall street journal

On 2009-03-03 10:03:13 -0800, rigger <dgrup@aol.com> said:

> On Mar 2, 6:33*pm, Jeff <jeff....@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mar 2, 9:10*pm, in2dadark <in2dad...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I've been getting the wall street journal off and on for about the
>>> last 6 years. Funny thing is I never pay for it. They send me a
>>> 'professional courtesy' offer of 99$ for a year of online and home
>>> delivery. I say yes send it. I don't pay and after a month to 6 weeks
>>> they cancel and send a bill with threats of collection.

>>
>>> Two to three weekd later I get the same offer and send it in and my
>>> subscription starts anew with no more collection attempts on the old
>>> account. This has gone on for the last several years until finally
>>> tonight I called and cancelled because I don't have time to read it.

>>
>> In other words, you refused to pay for something you asked for.
>>
>> In other words, stealing.
>>
>> Jeff

>
> ******************************
> "In other words, stealing."
> ******************************
> I think they describe the perp correctly when
> they call it "petty" theft.


Agreed.

  Reply With Quote
Old 03 Mar 2009, 08:12 pm   #8 (permalink)
Jeff
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Wall street journal

On Mar 2, 10:08*pm, Fat Moe <Fat...@BubbleWorld.Com> wrote:
> in2dadark wrote:
> > I've been getting the wall street journal off and on for about the
> > last 6 years. Funny thing is I never pay for it. They send me a
> > 'professional courtesy' offer of 99$ for a year of online and home
> > delivery. I say yes send it. I don't pay and after a month to 6 weeks
> > they cancel and send a bill with threats of collection.

>
> > Two to three weekd later I get the same offer and send it in and my
> > subscription starts anew with no more collection attempts on the old
> > account. This has gone on for the last several years until finally
> > tonight I called and cancelled because I don't have time to read it.

>
> > Truth is , lately, the news in the journal is something I've seen on
> > tv or read about online by the time I get to my PO box at 11 or 12. It
> > didn't use to be that way. Used to be what I read in the journal would
> > appear the next day or two in other papers.

>
> > I think the WSJ's advantage is dwindling fast and their attempting to
> > keep up the subscriber numbers by 'giving' away their paper in a
> > thinly veiled way. Anyone else seeing this.

>
> > When I called to cancel tonight they practically begged me not to. I
> > said but I've NEVER paid for your paper in several years. They acted
> > like they didn't hear that...LOL ..What a riot..

>
> I used to get the WSJ paper and online. But the financial news now is
> all about the same. * And printed papers are like GM their time has come
> and gone.
> * Newsweek? *I subscribed to that for years, but finally let it drop a
> few years ago. *I read everything they had online Sunday and got the
> printed backup on Wed.
> * Satellite TV gets my bucks now, and the ISP both of which went up last
> month.


The problem with this is that the satellite TV providers (like DISH
network) and the ISP don't provide much content. They deliver it.

In the near future, I think content providers, like WSJ and NYT will
start to charge for reading their papers online, kind of like NPR,
except with NPR your contributions are voluntary. And I will gladly
pay for it.

I don't get newspapers regularly (except the Science Times on Tuesday
with the New York Times), because most of the paper is thrown out
unread, and I don't like the ads, another waste of paper.

I do, however, like getting the Economist magazine as well as some
science related ones, like Science and Scientific American.

JEff
  Reply With Quote
Old 04 Mar 2009, 04:25 pm   #9 (permalink)
in2dadark
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Wall street journal

On Mar 2, 9:33*pm, Jeff <jeff....@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 2, 9:10*pm, in2dadark <in2dad...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > I've been getting the wall street journal off and on for about the
> > last 6 years. Funny thing is I never pay for it. They send me a
> > 'professional courtesy' offer of 99$ for a year of online and home
> > delivery. I say yes send it. I don't pay and after a month to 6 weeks
> > they cancel and send a bill with threats of collection.

>
> > Two to three weekd later I get the same offer and send it in and my
> > subscription starts anew with no more collection attempts on the old
> > account. This has gone on for the last several years until finally
> > tonight I called and cancelled because I don't have time to read it.

>
> In other words, you refused to pay for something you asked for.
>
> In other words, stealing.
>
> Jeff


uh huh..What's your point.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04 Mar 2009, 04:26 pm   #10 (permalink)
in2dadark
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Wall street journal

On Mar 2, 10:23*pm, "Mark A" <some...@someone.com> wrote:
> "in2dadark" <in2dad...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
> news:038ac6c3-9164-4395-9f82-e3d0d821ef36@q9g2000yqc.googlegroups.com...
>
>
>
>
>
> > I've been getting the wall street journal off and on for about the
> > last 6 years. Funny thing is I never pay for it. They send me a
> > 'professional courtesy' offer of 99$ for a year of online and home
> > delivery. I say yes send it. I don't pay and after a month to 6 weeks
> > they cancel and send a bill with threats of collection.

>
> > Two to three weekd later I get the same offer and send it in and my
> > subscription starts anew with no more collection attempts on the old
> > account. This has gone on for the last several years until finally
> > tonight I called and cancelled because I don't have time to read it.

>
> > Truth is , lately, the news in the journal is something I've seen on
> > tv or read about online by the time I get to my PO box at 11 or 12. It
> > didn't use to be that way. Used to be what I read in the journal would
> > appear the next day or two in other papers.

>
> > I think the WSJ's advantage is dwindling fast and their attempting to
> > keep up the subscriber numbers by 'giving' away their paper in a
> > thinly veiled way. Anyone else seeing this.

>
> > When I called to cancel tonight they practically begged me not to. I
> > said but I've NEVER paid for your paper in several years. They acted
> > like they didn't hear that...LOL ..What a riot..

>
> The people you talked to are not responsible for the profitability of the
> company, so whether you paid or didn't pay is not their concern. They are
> measured (and I do mean "measured") by the number of customers they retain
> when you call them to cancel.
>
> But keep in mind that the media doesn't just make money on subscriptions,in
> fact they make most of their money on advertising. The more subscribers they
> have (paid or free) the more they can charge for advertising. That is why
> they want to keep you even if you don't pay for it.- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -


Yep.. I agree.
  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:52 am.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.