synthetic ATF?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Oct 2008, 11:42 am   #1 (permalink)
mrdarrett@gmail.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default synthetic ATF?

Is synthetic Dexron (VI?) recommended in auto trans, '93-'01 camry?

I thought I read somewhere about a guy putting in synthetic ATF, then
his car wouldn't move anymore... ???

Michael
  Reply With Quote
Old 02 Oct 2008, 02:33 pm   #2 (permalink)
ransley
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: synthetic ATF?

On Oct 2, 11:42*am, mrdarr...@gmail.com wrote:
> Is synthetic Dexron (VI?) recommended in auto trans, '93-'01 camry?
>
> I thought I read somewhere about a guy putting in synthetic ATF, then
> his car wouldn't move anymore... ???
>
> Michael


I use it in a 01, it is rated for it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02 Oct 2008, 08:16 pm   #3 (permalink)
johngdole@hotmail.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: synthetic ATF?

I should have posted the Dexron VI info in this thread.

Yes, Dexron VI is backward compatible. However, the only approved
formulation is actually a synthetic-blend, including the one marketed
by Mobil.

Mobil-1 synthetic ATF, which is approved for 2005 and earlier Dexron
(II / III)applications, is not approved for the new Dexron VI
applications, like the GM Hydramatic 6L/6T LePelletier designs.




On Oct 2, 9:42*am, mrdarr...@gmail.com wrote:
> Is synthetic Dexron (VI?) recommended in auto trans, '93-'01 camry?
>
> I thought I read somewhere about a guy putting in synthetic ATF, then
> his car wouldn't move anymore... ???
>
> Michael


  Reply With Quote
Old 02 Oct 2008, 08:27 pm   #4 (permalink)
johngdole@hotmail.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: synthetic ATF?

Looks like for the Aisin A series transmission people can choose
either the fully synthetic Mobil-1 ATF or the blend, Mobil Dexron VI.

It's not that oil companies don't make fully synthetic Dexron VI, it's
that the only GM approved formulation is a synthetic-blend, developed
jointly with Petro-Canada and Afton.


GM Rolls Out Dexron-VI
http://www.imakenews.com/lng/e_artic...kBc,b16hwRCn,w

General Motors DEXRONŽ-VI Global Service-Fill Specification
http://www.hollonoil.com/DEXRON-VI-S...ll_Release.pdf

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...on_VI_ATF.aspx
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...hetic_ATF.aspx



On Oct 2, 9:42*am, mrdarr...@gmail.com wrote:
> Is synthetic Dexron (VI?) recommended in auto trans, '93-'01 camry?
>
> I thought I read somewhere about a guy putting in synthetic ATF, then
> his car wouldn't move anymore... ???
>
> Michael


  Reply With Quote
Old 03 Oct 2008, 03:30 pm   #5 (permalink)
Daniel
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: synthetic ATF?

mrdarr...@gmail.com wrote:
> I thought I read somewhere about a guy putting in synthetic ATF, then
> his car wouldn't move anymore... ???

===
Not likely.
Just read the label to be sure the formula complies with the
requirements for your year.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03 Oct 2008, 04:13 pm   #6 (permalink)
Pszemol
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: synthetic ATF?

<mrdarrett@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:7d43c299-50bf-4e68-93e7-74c0d9d921f1@d45g2000hsc.googlegroups.com...
> Is synthetic Dexron (VI?) recommended in auto trans, '93-'01 camry?
>
> I thought I read somewhere about a guy putting in synthetic ATF, then
> his car wouldn't move anymore... ???


Why would you divert from the manufacturer recommended Dexron II/III?
Do you expect any better operations on Dexron VI ??

I have recently purchased 2 cases of the cheapest ATF at SamsClub
and drained & refilled my 1995, 4-cyl camry auto tranny 6 times...
It did not have the drain&fill done for long time and the camry had
240 thousand miles on the odometer. The fluid was pitch black...
It was still black after 3 times. That is why I decided to do it couple
more times. After 6 or 7 times (I have lost the track) the fluid on the
dipstick is looking like new and tranny is working without problems.
It is easy with toyotas having the drain plug on tranny, you do not need
to drop the pan like with other cars.

  Reply With Quote
Old 03 Oct 2008, 10:55 pm   #7 (permalink)
johngdole@hotmail.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: synthetic ATF?

I wonder if a high mileage ATF might work better if the clutch pack is
becoming marginal -- use after repeated drain/refill with cheaper dino
Dexron to clean things up.

I wonder if Dexron VI's "prevent transmission vibration" works better
on a worn transmission than a high mileage ATF. Dexron VI's chemistry
will outlast Dexron II and III significantly and better resist high
temperature acid forming, however.



On Oct 3, 2:13*pm, "Pszemol" <Psze...@PolBox.com> wrote:
> Why would you divert from the manufacturer recommended Dexron II/III?
> Do you expect any better operations on Dexron VI ??
>
> I have recently purchased 2 cases of the cheapest ATF at SamsClub
> and drained & refilled my 1995, 4-cyl camry auto tranny 6 times...
> It did not have the drain&fill done for long time and the camry had
> 240 thousand miles on the odometer. The fluid was pitch black...
> It was still black after 3 times. That is why I decided to do it couple
> more times. After 6 or 7 times (I have lost the track) the fluid on the
> dipstick is looking like new and tranny is working without problems.
> It is easy with toyotas having the drain plug on tranny, you do not need
> to drop the pan like with other cars.


  Reply With Quote
Old 03 Oct 2008, 11:54 pm   #8 (permalink)
Pszemol
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: synthetic ATF?

<johngdole@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:355e6e39-7d02-4ba5-a0e4-8cf1bc5473db@p31g2000prf.googlegroups.com...
> I wonder if a high mileage ATF might work better if the clutch pack is
> becoming marginal -- use after repeated drain/refill with cheaper dino
> Dexron to clean things up.


What additives does it have compared to a regular ATF?

> I wonder if Dexron VI's "prevent transmission vibration" works better
> on a worn transmission than a high mileage ATF. Dexron VI's chemistry
> will outlast Dexron II and III significantly and better resist high
> temperature acid forming, however.


Well, I am not sure I am ready to try it and experiment with my car :-)
I am happy with it as it is right now. And it tranny will start slipping...
Well, it is 13/14-years old car - it is the time to get a new one ;-)

  Reply With Quote
Old 05 Oct 2008, 08:39 pm   #9 (permalink)
johngdole@hotmail.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: synthetic ATF?

From reading Pennzoil and Valvoline websites, the first things are
seal conditioners and additional detergents (as in all high mileage
(HM) products). If the problem came from dirty valve body and seal
related pressure losses then these may help.

Many HM fluids are also thicker in viscosity, offering better film
protection at higher temperatures. As far as how Pennzoil offers HM
advantage in "prevent clutch wear and reduce shudder" I don not know.

As I mentioned in another thread, I do think for Toyota's Aisin A-
series transmission, from the strart, the best care is frequent
changes of dino ATF and strainer, so as to minimize the wear particles
in the system. Cheap dino ATF (Dexron III) has the cost advantage
here. It's not the fluid life but the wear particles I'm more
concerned about.

Dexron III should have a severe service interval of no more than
30~35K miles; blends (like Dexron VI) 50K miles; full synthetics 60K
miles (Amsoil). Intervals double for normal service.

So how some manufacturers claim their ATF is "lifetime fill" is beyond
me. I guess "lifetime" is no more than 100-120K miles then!


On Oct 3, 9:54 pm, "Pszemol" <Psze...@PolBox.com> wrote:
> What additives does it have compared to a regular ATF?


> Well, I am not sure I am ready to try it and experiment with my car :-)
> I am happy with it as it is right now. And it tranny will start slipping...
> Well, it is 13/14-years old car - it is the time to get a new one ;-)

  Reply With Quote
Old 06 Oct 2008, 08:16 am   #10 (permalink)
Pszemol
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: synthetic ATF?

<johngdole@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:ca9c343c-5ff1-43e7-8ed3-7fec2b33a62a@b38g2000prf.googlegroups.com...
> From reading Pennzoil and Valvoline websites, the first things are
> seal conditioners and additional detergents (as in all high mileage
> (HM) products). If the problem came from dirty valve body and seal
> related pressure losses then these may help.
>
> Many HM fluids are also thicker in viscosity, offering better film
> protection at higher temperatures. As far as how Pennzoil offers HM
> advantage in "prevent clutch wear and reduce shudder" I don not know.
>
> As I mentioned in another thread, I do think for Toyota's Aisin A-
> series transmission, from the strart, the best care is frequent
> changes of dino ATF and strainer, so as to minimize the wear particles
> in the system. Cheap dino ATF (Dexron III) has the cost advantage
> here. It's not the fluid life but the wear particles I'm more
> concerned about.


That is why I have done drain and fill several times to flush the system.

> Dexron III should have a severe service interval of no more than
> 30~35K miles; blends (like Dexron VI) 50K miles; full synthetics 60K
> miles (Amsoil). Intervals double for normal service.


I agree - mine was really black - I am not sure if the last time I payed
for the flush they did anything at all. It was not that old but totally
black.

> So how some manufacturers claim their ATF is "lifetime fill" is beyond
> me. I guess "lifetime" is no more than 100-120K miles then!


From the manufacturer point of view, lifetime could be the power train
warranty period like 60-70k miles or so :-)

  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:55 pm.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.