Roof racks for 2005 camry

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Oct 2008, 01:22 pm   #1 (permalink)
Peter Browry
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Roof racks for 2005 camry

Hi there:

Has anyone installed roof racks on a recent camry and what is
the experience or price?

I just called the local dealer and they told me that the racks for
my 2005 camry are removable, have small plastic parts inside the 4 doors
of the car while the total cost (parts and installation) is close to $700.

Thank you,

/PB
  Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2008, 02:09 pm   #2 (permalink)
SMS
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Roof racks for 2005 camry

Peter Browry wrote:
> Hi there:
>
> Has anyone installed roof racks on a recent camry and what is
> the experience or price?
>
> I just called the local dealer and they told me that the racks for
> my 2005 camry are removable, have small plastic parts inside the 4 doors
> of the car while the total cost (parts and installation) is close to $700.
>
> Thank you,
>
> /PB


What are you trying to carry?

You can get a Thule base system for less than $300. Wait for a 20% off
sale at REI, or sign up for the Border's Rewards program for a discount
at Campmor.

400xt Aero Foot
LB50 Load Bars
2113 Fit Kit
Lock cylinders (buy a lot so you have all of them with the same key for
all the attachments).

"http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___77190"
"http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___74115"
"http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___74120"
"http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___74396"
  Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2008, 02:33 pm   #3 (permalink)
ransley
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Roof racks for 2005 camry

On Oct 30, 1:22*pm, Peter Browry <pbro...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi there:
>
> Has anyone installed roof racks on a recent camry and what is
> the experience or price?
>
> I just called the local dealer and they told me that the racks for
> my 2005 camry are removable, have small plastic parts inside the 4 doors
> of the car while the total cost (parts and installation) is close to $700..
>
> Thank you,
>
> /PB


700 so knowing dealers ripoffs you can find one for 233.33 if you shop
  Reply With Quote
Old 02 Nov 2008, 11:26 pm   #4 (permalink)
VideoVic46
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Roof racks for 2005 camry

I've used a Thule with 52" bars ($330 on sale from REI) on my 2000 XLE for 8
years with functional success. The roof has developed wavy areas of stress
from the weight of carrying a kayak or sheets of plywood for various
projects. I had no idea the roof was thin sheet metal, or I would have
reinforced it with solid urethane foam or a layer or two of epoxy/fiberglass
to stiffen the highly flexible metal.

Fortunately, the mis-shapened roof is not a big deal to me... more into
functionality, and the Camry exceeds my expectations for reliability and
return on investment.

I carry the racks in the trunk, and carry lumber, canoes, kayaks, MDF (4
sheets weighing about 200 lbs). It takes less than 10 minutes to install
them and a 80 lb. boat on top. Road speeds with canoes and kayaks often
exceed 80 mph... but there has never been a bad sound or obvious stress
problem, only the minor deformation... worth $100s come time to trade or
sell.

Vic

"Peter Browry" <pbrowry@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:gecu1c$60f$1@dailyplanet.umd.edu...
> Hi there:
>
> Has anyone installed roof racks on a recent camry and what is
> the experience or price?
>
> I just called the local dealer and they told me that the racks for
> my 2005 camry are removable, have small plastic parts inside the 4 doors
> of the car while the total cost (parts and installation) is close to $700.
>
> Thank you,
>
> /PB



  Reply With Quote
Old 04 Nov 2008, 04:41 pm   #5 (permalink)
Peter Browry
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Roof racks for 2005 camry

On 11/03/08 00:26, VideoVic46 wrote:<br>
> I've used a Thule with 52" bars ($330 on sale from REI) on my 2000 XLE for 8
> years with functional success. The roof has developed wavy areas of stress
> from the weight of carrying a kayak or sheets of plywood for various
> projects. I had no idea the roof was thin sheet metal, or I would have
> reinforced it with solid urethane foam or a layer or two of epoxy/fiberglass
> to stiffen the highly flexible metal.
>
> Fortunately, the mis-shapened roof is not a big deal to me... more into
> functionality, and the Camry exceeds my expectations for reliability and
> return on investment.
>
> I carry the racks in the trunk, and carry lumber, canoes, kayaks, MDF (4
> sheets weighing about 200 lbs). It takes less than 10 minutes to install
> them and a 80 lb. boat on top. Road speeds with canoes and kayaks often
> exceed 80 mph... but there has never been a bad sound or obvious stress
> problem, only the minor deformation... worth $100s come time to trade or
> sell.
>
> Vic



Vic:

Thank you for the information you provided above.

Out of curiosity: why/how the roof has developed wavy areas if you use the Thule racks?
Did you place on the racks much more weight than the one suggested for the Thule racks?
Are the wave areas close to the rack locks, i.e. near the doors?

I want the racks for similar reasons (ie kayaks) and would like to avoid any car damage.

Thank you,

/PB
  Reply With Quote
Old 16 Nov 2008, 11:15 am   #6 (permalink)
VideoVic46
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Roof racks for 2005 camry

The waves showed up slowly and have grown over time. Texas summer heat may
have exaggerated them. There is no distinct wave/stress pattern, and the
areas affected are not around the base areas of the Thule feet, but further
out more toward the corners of the moon roof. They are clearly visible
looking across the roof, but measure less than 1/32" at the greatest depth.

Be sure not to let sand and grit collect under the feet... which will
scratch the finish.

Good luck.

V-

"Peter Browry" <pbrowry@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:geqj3c$33b$1@dailyplanet.umd.edu...
> On 11/03/08 00:26, VideoVic46 wrote:<br>
>> I've used a Thule with 52" bars ($330 on sale from REI) on my 2000 XLE
>> for 8 years with functional success. The roof has developed wavy areas of
>> stress from the weight of carrying a kayak or sheets of plywood for
>> various projects. I had no idea the roof was thin sheet metal, or I would
>> have reinforced it with solid urethane foam or a layer or two of
>> epoxy/fiberglass to stiffen the highly flexible metal.
>>
>> Fortunately, the mis-shapened roof is not a big deal to me... more into
>> functionality, and the Camry exceeds my expectations for reliability and
>> return on investment.
>>
>> I carry the racks in the trunk, and carry lumber, canoes, kayaks, MDF (4
>> sheets weighing about 200 lbs). It takes less than 10 minutes to install
>> them and a 80 lb. boat on top. Road speeds with canoes and kayaks often
>> exceed 80 mph... but there has never been a bad sound or obvious stress
>> problem, only the minor deformation... worth $100s come time to trade or
>> sell.
>>
>> Vic

>
>
> Vic:
>
> Thank you for the information you provided above.
>
> Out of curiosity: why/how the roof has developed wavy areas if you use the
> Thule racks?
> Did you place on the racks much more weight than the one suggested for the
> Thule racks?
> Are the wave areas close to the rack locks, i.e. near the doors?
>
> I want the racks for similar reasons (ie kayaks) and would like to avoid
> any car damage.
>
> Thank you,
>
> /PB



  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:36 am.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.