Ethanol Question

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Dec 2008, 09:40 am   #1 (permalink)
Yardclerk
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Ethanol Question

I have a 2002 Camry with the 4-cyl engine. Approximately 58000 miles on
it.

Is it safe to use gasoline with 10% ethanol in it? Are there any
preparations I might need to make to do so?

Appreciate anyt info anyone might have.



  Reply With Quote
Old 14 Dec 2008, 10:06 am   #2 (permalink)
jimhigh66
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Ethanol Question

As far as I know all "modern" cars are designed to use the 10% ethanol
blend. We've used plenty of it in a number of cars (inccluding older
carburated) without any problem. Whether it makes good sense to use it is
another matter. The way it's manufactured here in the US it takes a lot of
fossil fuel to make it plus the corn consumption tends to drive food
prices up. In addition there's less energy in alcohol compared to
gasoline so mileage suffers slightly. (I live in corn country -- my
neighbors wouldn't like those comments.) I don't use it much anymore even
though it's cheaper here (subsidized).

--
Message posted using http://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/....toyota.camry/
More information at http://www.talkaboutautos.com/faq.html

  Reply With Quote
Old 14 Dec 2008, 10:08 am   #3 (permalink)
Mark A
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Ethanol Question

"Yardclerk" <jpattillo1@cox.net> wrote in message
news:jN91l.18754$R43.8895@newsfe08.iad...
>I have a 2002 Camry with the 4-cyl engine. Approximately 58000 miles on
>it.
>
> Is it safe to use gasoline with 10% ethanol in it? Are there any
> preparations I might need to make to do so?
>
> Appreciate anyt info anyone might have.


It is actually safer for your car than it is for you. There have been
reports that it affects humans in an adverse manor.

Just about every major city is required to use gas that is up to 10%
ethanol. There is not anything else you need to do.


  Reply With Quote
Old 14 Dec 2008, 12:06 pm   #4 (permalink)
ransley
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Ethanol Question

On Dec 14, 9:40*am, "Yardclerk" <jpattil...@cox.net> wrote:
> I have a 2002 Camry with the 4-cyl engine. * Approximately 58000 miles on
> it.
>
> Is it safe to use gasoline with 10% ethanol in it? *Are there any
> preparations I might need to make to do so?
>
> Appreciate anyt info anyone might have.


Ethanol is all there has been here in the midwest and probably most of
the US for 20+ years. Alcohol absorbes water that allows it to be
burned instead on sitting at the bottom of your tank. Alcohol has less
energy-BTU, than gasolene but higher Octane, it Raises gasolenes
Octane level. I have used 10%+ alcohol since 68, we used to get crap
gas in Europe that 10% alcohol was needed to keep the new 390 4 barrel
Ford from knocking and not moving. Alchohol of 15-20% or whatever you
wish wont hurt anything, its just to much alcohol needs different
metering since it is harder to start and run the car cold and power is
reduced. I buy denatured alcohol by the gallon and add it to gas and
winshield fluid in winter. Heat and other "gas line antifreezes" are
alcohol, and were bigger business before gas carried alcohol in it. If
you get bad gas, Alcohol is a good way to get it better by removing
its water content. You still buy crap gas sometimes, when its winter
and below zero f , I always add more. To old gas of antiques in
storage Alcohol just saved me from draining a gas tank old old gas.
Alcohol is a good solvent, it keeps things, fuel system clean, alcohol
is good to drink, it makes you happy and it makes your car happy. To
bad you cant say to the judge my car was drunk, not me. E85 is
overpriced for the energy it contains. If your gas has no alcohol
added then add some, it removes water.
  Reply With Quote
Old 14 Dec 2008, 08:57 pm   #5 (permalink)
jimhigh66
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Ethanol Question

Ransley makes a good point about water absorbtion. One place I do NOT use
ethanol is with 2 stroke engines that use an oil mix (I have a PPC and an
ultralight with Rotax 2-strokes.) The "conventional wisdom" is that
ethanol modifies the fuel-oil mixture ratio. But some users claim use
with no problem. I'll stick with the Rotax recommendations. There's also
information that the rubber compounds used in fuel pumps, for example, back
in the middle of the last century won't withstand ethanol.

--
Message posted using http://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/....toyota.camry/
More information at http://www.talkaboutautos.com/faq.html

  Reply With Quote
Old 14 Dec 2008, 09:56 pm   #6 (permalink)
ransley
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Ethanol Question

On Dec 14, 8:57*pm, "jimhigh66" <mounthig...@aol.com> wrote:
> Ransley makes a good point about water absorbtion. *One place I do NOT use
> ethanol is with 2 stroke engines that use an oil mix (I have a PPC and an
> ultralight with Rotax 2-strokes.) *The "conventional wisdom" is that
> ethanol modifies the fuel-oil mixture ratio. *But some users claim use
> with no problem. *I'll stick with the Rotax recommendations. *There'salso
> information that the rubber compounds used in fuel pumps, for example, back
> in the middle of the last century won't withstand ethanol. *
>
> --
> Message posted usinghttp://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/alt.autos.toyota.camry/
> More information athttp://www.talkaboutautos.com/faq.html


Here all we get is 10% alcohol and my 2 stroke 83 Lawnboy is fine and
everyone uses 2 stroke lawn equipment. More than 10% I would not do,
it has to do with the oil loosing effectiveness and alcohol, I think.
  Reply With Quote
Old 15 Dec 2008, 12:50 am   #7 (permalink)
Sharx35
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Ethanol Question



"ransley" <Mark_Ransley@Yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:8f71e891-f22c-420c-8ad4-478b795c57ce@c36g2000prc.googlegroups.com...
> On Dec 14, 8:57 pm, "jimhigh66" <mounthig...@aol.com> wrote:
>> Ransley makes a good point about water absorbtion. One place I do NOT use
>> ethanol is with 2 stroke engines that use an oil mix (I have a PPC and an
>> ultralight with Rotax 2-strokes.) The "conventional wisdom" is that
>> ethanol modifies the fuel-oil mixture ratio. But some users claim use
>> with no problem. I'll stick with the Rotax recommendations. There's also
>> information that the rubber compounds used in fuel pumps, for example,
>> back
>> in the middle of the last century won't withstand ethanol.
>>
>> --
>> Message posted
>> usinghttp://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/alt.autos.toyota.camry/
>> More information athttp://www.talkaboutautos.com/faq.html

>
> Here all we get is 10% alcohol and my 2 stroke 83 Lawnboy is fine and
> everyone uses 2 stroke lawn equipment. More than 10% I would not do,
> it has to do with the oil loosing effectiveness and alcohol, I think.



Most of us HERE use FOUR stroke engines. Two stroke engines STINK STINK
STINK and usually smoke, too.

  Reply With Quote
Old 15 Dec 2008, 07:07 am   #8 (permalink)
ransley
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Ethanol Question

On Dec 15, 12:50*am, "Sharx35" <shar...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> "ransley" <Mark_Rans...@Yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
> news:8f71e891-f22c-420c-8ad4-478b795c57ce@c36g2000prc.googlegroups.com...
>
>
>
>
>
> > On Dec 14, 8:57 pm, "jimhigh66" <mounthig...@aol.com> wrote:
> >> Ransley makes a good point about water absorbtion. One place I do NOT use
> >> ethanol is with 2 stroke engines that use an oil mix (I have a PPC andan
> >> ultralight with Rotax 2-strokes.) The "conventional wisdom" is that
> >> ethanol modifies the fuel-oil mixture ratio. But some users claim use
> >> with no problem. I'll stick with the Rotax recommendations. There's also
> >> information that the rubber compounds used in fuel pumps, for example,
> >> back
> >> in the middle of the last century won't withstand ethanol.

>
> >> --
> >> Message posted
> >> usinghttp://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/alt.autos.toyota.camry/
> >> More information athttp://www.talkaboutautos.com/faq.html

>
> > Here all we get is 10% alcohol and my 2 stroke 83 Lawnboy is fine and
> > everyone uses 2 stroke lawn equipment. More than 10% I would not do,
> > it has to do with the oil loosing effectiveness and alcohol, I think.

>
> Most of us HERE use FOUR stroke engines. Two stroke engines STINK STINK
> STINK and usually smoke, too.- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -


HERE, you mean nobody HERE goes fishing with a small motor, rode a
motorbike, cuts their grass, trims, blows leaves, cuts wood, does
their snow, so everyone HERE you say is a indoor lazy condo bore. Who
makes a chainsaw, leaf blower, trimmer, snow blower, as cheap, light,
and reliable as Echo-Sthil, the lawn industry needs 4 stroke but now
they are just to expensive in that class. Maybe you can afford a 500$
4 stroke Honda trimmer.
  Reply With Quote
Old 15 Dec 2008, 07:40 pm   #9 (permalink)
Sharx35
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Ethanol Question



"ransley" <Mark_Ransley@Yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:cd6d25c3-4794-4a59-a699-1ffa6a78bbc9@a37g2000pre.googlegroups.com...
> On Dec 15, 12:50 am, "Sharx35" <shar...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> "ransley" <Mark_Rans...@Yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> news:8f71e891-f22c-420c-8ad4-478b795c57ce@c36g2000prc.googlegroups.com...
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> > On Dec 14, 8:57 pm, "jimhigh66" <mounthig...@aol.com> wrote:
>> >> Ransley makes a good point about water absorbtion. One place I do NOT
>> >> use
>> >> ethanol is with 2 stroke engines that use an oil mix (I have a PPC and
>> >> an
>> >> ultralight with Rotax 2-strokes.) The "conventional wisdom" is that
>> >> ethanol modifies the fuel-oil mixture ratio. But some users claim use
>> >> with no problem. I'll stick with the Rotax recommendations. There's
>> >> also
>> >> information that the rubber compounds used in fuel pumps, for example,
>> >> back
>> >> in the middle of the last century won't withstand ethanol.

>>
>> >> --
>> >> Message posted
>> >> usinghttp://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/alt.autos.toyota.camry/
>> >> More information athttp://www.talkaboutautos.com/faq.html

>>
>> > Here all we get is 10% alcohol and my 2 stroke 83 Lawnboy is fine and
>> > everyone uses 2 stroke lawn equipment. More than 10% I would not do,
>> > it has to do with the oil loosing effectiveness and alcohol, I think.

>>
>> Most of us HERE use FOUR stroke engines. Two stroke engines STINK STINK
>> STINK and usually smoke, too.- Hide quoted text -
>>
>> - Show quoted text -

>
> HERE, you mean nobody HERE goes fishing with a small motor, rode a
> motorbike, cuts their grass, trims, blows leaves, cuts wood, does
> their snow, so everyone HERE you say is a indoor lazy condo bore. Who
> makes a chainsaw, leaf blower, trimmer, snow blower, as cheap, light,
> and reliable as Echo-Sthil, the lawn industry needs 4 stroke but now
> they are just to expensive in that class. Maybe you can afford a 500$
> 4 stroke Honda trimmer.


All of my standard-sized lawnmowers have ALWAYS been 4 stroke..and that
goes back more than 20 years.
Ditto for snow blowers. For trimmers, I've always used electric.



  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:23 pm.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.