How to remove engine oil sludge if you have it?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Dec 2008, 04:17 pm   #1 (permalink)
mrdarrett@gmail.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default How to remove engine oil sludge if you have it?

Let's say that you discover engine sludge in your car for whatever
reason (maybe you bought it used, maybe a relative you gave the car to
didn't change the oil in 3 years...)

Would a simple oil+filter change every 1,000 miles or so dissolve the
sludge over time?

What's the recommended way of removing engine oil sludge?

I don't have the sludge, but I'm just wondering how hard (or easy) it
is to get rid of.

Thanks,

Michael
  Reply With Quote
Old 15 Dec 2008, 04:24 pm   #2 (permalink)
Mark A
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: How to remove engine oil sludge if you have it?

<mrdarrett@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:2de6886b-3fcb-4570-af6d-c30cd0fa5e84@d42g2000prb.googlegroups.com...
> Let's say that you discover engine sludge in your car for whatever
> reason (maybe you bought it used, maybe a relative you gave the car to
> didn't change the oil in 3 years...)
>
> Would a simple oil+filter change every 1,000 miles or so dissolve the
> sludge over time?
>
> What's the recommended way of removing engine oil sludge?
>
> I don't have the sludge, but I'm just wondering how hard (or easy) it
> is to get rid of.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Michael


I have heard (but don't know for a fact) that using synthetic oil will help
to remove the sludge. I do know one thing, using synthetic oil will
definitely prevent sludge from occurring in the first place (unless you
never change your oil).

I would stay away from Castrol Syntec (for reasons that I don't want to get
into here). I think that some of the other manufacturers like Pennzoil are
discounting their synthetics in order to break into the market dominated by
Mobil 1.

If I know I had sludge, I would probably use Mobil 1 Extended Performance
synthetic for the first few changes until the sludge is gone. It will cost a
little bit more (maybe about $7 more than regular Mobil 1 for 4-5 quarts),
but sludge is a very serious issue.


  Reply With Quote
Old 15 Dec 2008, 06:21 pm   #3 (permalink)
Nobody Important
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: How to remove engine oil sludge if you have it?

Me, I'd put the valve cover back on and sell that thing quick.

If not, try autorx (auto-rx.com). Never used it myself.

Also ask on the forums at bobistheoilguy.com .

mrdarrett@gmail.com wrote:
> Let's say that you discover engine sludge in your car for whatever
> reason (maybe you bought it used, maybe a relative you gave the car to
> didn't change the oil in 3 years...)
>
> Would a simple oil+filter change every 1,000 miles or so dissolve the
> sludge over time?
>
> What's the recommended way of removing engine oil sludge?
>
> I don't have the sludge, but I'm just wondering how hard (or easy) it
> is to get rid of.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Michael

  Reply With Quote
Old 15 Dec 2008, 07:29 pm   #4 (permalink)
johngdole@hotmail.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: How to remove engine oil sludge if you have it?

LOL. That's a good way to "fix" it. Problem solved!

On Dec 15, 4:21*pm, Nobody Important <Dr.Xen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Me, I'd put the valve cover back on and sell that thing quick.
>
> If not, try autorx (auto-rx.com). *Never used it myself.
>
> Also ask on the forums at bobistheoilguy.com .

  Reply With Quote
Old 15 Dec 2008, 07:36 pm   #5 (permalink)
ransley
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: How to remove engine oil sludge if you have it?

On Dec 15, 4:17*pm, mrdarr...@gmail.com wrote:
> Let's say that you discover engine sludge in your car for whatever
> reason (maybe you bought it used, maybe a relative you gave the car to
> didn't change the oil in 3 years...)
>
> Would a simple oil+filter change every 1,000 miles or so dissolve the
> sludge over time?
>
> What's the recommended way of removing engine oil sludge?
>
> I don't have the sludge, but I'm just wondering how hard (or easy) it
> is to get rid of.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Michael


Remove the engine that will remove it, where do you expect it to go,
if anything loosens it it will clog the filter up quickly, if it runs
good just change the oil when you should, at around 3000
  Reply With Quote
Old 15 Dec 2008, 07:40 pm   #6 (permalink)
johngdole@hotmail.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: How to remove engine oil sludge if you have it?

Mild cases of the disease can be fixed by repeated, short-interval oil
changes. (The dislodged particles are then caught by the oil filter).
Preferred oils are those with higher levels of detergents, such as
High Mileage oils. Mobil-1 web site FAQ: "if you believe your engine
may have sludge through less-than-adequate maintenance practices,
Mobil 1 High Mileage may be the more suitable selection."

In severe cases, I guess dislodged particles may choke up things or
already did, and most likely be the end of that engine.




On Dec 15, 2:17*pm, mrdarr...@gmail.com wrote:
> Let's say that you discover engine sludge in your car for whatever
> reason (maybe you bought it used, maybe a relative you gave the car to
> didn't change the oil in 3 years...)
>
> Would a simple oil+filter change every 1,000 miles or so dissolve the
> sludge over time?
>
> What's the recommended way of removing engine oil sludge?
>
> I don't have the sludge, but I'm just wondering how hard (or easy) it
> is to get rid of.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Michael


  Reply With Quote
Old 15 Dec 2008, 07:53 pm   #7 (permalink)
johngdole@hotmail.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: How to remove engine oil sludge if you have it?

I prefer Mobil-1 for synthetics, but I would think British Petroleum's
Castrol would work too, no? I like Castrol's GT Low Moisture Activity
(LMA) brake fluid (Valvoline synthetic low moisture activity DOT 3/4
too). Good stuff.

If I need a synthetic oil and can't find it in Mobil-1, then Valvoline
is the other "mass market" brand I'll use. For example, their fully
synthetic line of ATFs.



On Dec 15, 2:24*pm, "Mark A" <some...@someone.com> wrote:
> I would stay away from Castrol Syntec (for reasons that I don't want to get
> into here). I think that some of the other manufacturers like Pennzoil are
> discounting their synthetics in order to break into the market dominated by
> Mobil 1.
>
> If I know I had sludge, I would probably use Mobil 1 Extended Performance
> synthetic for the first few changes until the sludge is gone. It will cost a
> little bit more (maybe about *$7 more than regular Mobil 1 for 4-5 quarts),
> but sludge is a very serious issue.


  Reply With Quote
Old 15 Dec 2008, 08:01 pm   #8 (permalink)
johngdole@hotmail.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: How to remove engine oil sludge if you have it?

Mark - side tracking a bit.

Did you ever check with transtarindustries.com on that V40
transmission filter and filter housing gasket? Again, the new formula
Mobil-1 ATF works here, or the dino Mobil 3309.

But you know the rebadged Mobil 3309 sold as Toyota T-IV is actually
cheaper than dino Mobil 3309! Same bottle, different color/labeling.




On Dec 15, 5:36*pm, ransley <Mark_Rans...@Yahoo.com> wrote:
> Remove the engine that will remove it, where do you expect it to go,
> if anything loosens it it will clog the filter up quickly, if it runs
> good just change the oil when you should, at around 3000


  Reply With Quote
Old 15 Dec 2008, 08:05 pm   #9 (permalink)
mrdarrett@gmail.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: How to remove engine oil sludge if you have it?

On Dec 15, 5:40 pm, johngd...@hotmail.com wrote:
> Mild cases of the disease can be fixed by repeated, short-interval oil
> changes. (The dislodged particles are then caught by the oil filter).
> Preferred oils are those with higher levels of detergents, such as
> High Mileage oils. Mobil-1 web site FAQ: "if you believe your engine
> may have sludge through less-than-adequate maintenance practices,
> Mobil 1 High Mileage may be the more suitable selection."
>
> In severe cases, I guess dislodged particles may choke up things or
> already did, and most likely be the end of that engine.
>
> On Dec 15, 2:17 pm, mrdarr...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > Let's say that you discover engine sludge in your car for whatever
> > reason (maybe you bought it used, maybe a relative you gave the car to
> > didn't change the oil in 3 years...)

>
> > Would a simple oil+filter change every 1,000 miles or so dissolve the
> > sludge over time?

>
> > What's the recommended way of removing engine oil sludge?

>
> > I don't have the sludge, but I'm just wondering how hard (or easy) it
> > is to get rid of.

>
> > Thanks,

>
> > Michael



Ah, high-mileage oils...

Is looking under the valve cover the only/standard way of checking for
sludge?

Thanks,

Michael
  Reply With Quote
Old 15 Dec 2008, 08:15 pm   #10 (permalink)
johngdole@hotmail.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: How to remove engine oil sludge if you have it?

For Toyota oil sludges, where high cylinder head temperature cooks
oils into sludge cakes, yes take off the valve cover and see if the
sludge plugged up the oil drain holes back into the crankcase and
caused oil starvation.

For traditional sludge, where extended intervals (moisture, particles,
acids, etc etc) cause more and more contaminants to precipitate out to
the bottom of the oil pan and form sludge, the pan should be dropped
and see if the oil pick-up tube is plugged up with sludge.


On Dec 15, 6:05*pm, mrdarr...@gmail.com wrote:
> Is looking under the valve cover the only/standard way of checking for
> sludge?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Michael


  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:13 am.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.