94 camry 4 cyl LE - Cooling problem.. Fans don't run when engine is hot

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Dec 2008, 01:57 pm   #1 (permalink)
Ramakrishna Devisetti
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default 94 camry 4 cyl LE - Cooling problem.. Fans don't run when engine is hot

Hi,

I have 1994 Toyota Camry LE, 4cyl

Since past 10 days, always my temperature sensor on Dashboard shows "High"

I did following

1. Checked the coolant levels (level is full in recovery tank)
2. Radiator upper and lower hoses has different temperature (Upper one is
hot and lower one is cold)
3. When temperature sensor shows "Hot"... Fans were not running
4. When engine was very cold and started the engine, Fans were running first
2-3 mts and stopped.

So with above symptoms, what would be the problem for Cooling failure ??

a) Is it Thermostat problem ?? Is it easy to replace (DIY ??)
b) Where is the Fans Fuse (in case, if it needs to be changed) ??

Regards,
Rama


  Reply With Quote
Old 22 Dec 2008, 04:22 pm   #2 (permalink)
ransley
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 94 camry 4 cyl LE - Cooling problem.. Fans don't run when engineis hot

On Dec 22, 1:57*pm, "Ramakrishna Devisetti" <ra...@cisco.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have 1994 Toyota Camry LE, 4cyl
>
> Since past 10 days, *always my temperature sensor on Dashboard shows "High"
>
> I did following
>
> 1. Checked the coolant levels *(level is full in recovery tank)
> 2. Radiator upper *and lower hoses has different temperature (Upper oneis
> hot and lower one is cold)
> 3. When temperature sensor shows "Hot"... Fans were not running
> 4. When engine was very cold and started the engine, Fans were running first
> 2-3 mts and stopped.
>
> So with above symptoms, what would be the problem for Cooling failure ??
>
> a) Is it Thermostat problem ?? * Is it easy to replace (DIY ??)
> b) Where is the Fans Fuse (in case, if it needs to be changed) ??
>
> Regards,
> Rama


Its not the coolant thermostat, is it cold out, by Hot , what shows
hot, is it hotter than before. Turn on the AC if its above 55f and
fans should run or dont drive it, you will ruin it overheating it. But
does coolant release into the bottle. If its cool out run the heater.
Check the fuse for the cooling fan. Dont drive it if its overheating.
If fans come on with the AC on and its warm out turn it on. At 35f and
above my fan rarely runs. How cold is it outside. Is it highway
driving or city.
  Reply With Quote
Old 22 Dec 2008, 07:44 pm   #3 (permalink)
Leftie
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 94 camry 4 cyl LE - Cooling problem.. Fans don't run when engineis hot

ransley wrote:
> On Dec 22, 1:57 pm, "Ramakrishna Devisetti" <ra...@cisco.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have 1994 Toyota Camry LE, 4cyl
>>
>> Since past 10 days, always my temperature sensor on Dashboard shows "High"
>>
>> I did following
>>
>> 1. Checked the coolant levels (level is full in recovery tank)
>> 2. Radiator upper and lower hoses has different temperature (Upper one is
>> hot and lower one is cold)
>> 3. When temperature sensor shows "Hot"... Fans were not running
>> 4. When engine was very cold and started the engine, Fans were running first
>> 2-3 mts and stopped.
>>
>> So with above symptoms, what would be the problem for Cooling failure ??
>>
>> a) Is it Thermostat problem ?? Is it easy to replace (DIY ??)
>> b) Where is the Fans Fuse (in case, if it needs to be changed) ??
>>
>> Regards,
>> Rama

>
> Its not the coolant thermostat, is it cold out, by Hot , what shows
> hot, is it hotter than before. Turn on the AC if its above 55f and
> fans should run or dont drive it, you will ruin it overheating it. But
> does coolant release into the bottle. If its cool out run the heater.
> Check the fuse for the cooling fan. Dont drive it if its overheating.
> If fans come on with the AC on and its warm out turn it on. At 35f and
> above my fan rarely runs. How cold is it outside. Is it highway
> driving or city.



Ransley, you need to try to do a better job of expressing yourself.
Question marks at the end of questions, and separate sentences for
separate ideas would be a good start. I got the drift of this, but had
to read it twice. Someone new to this stuff would probably be lost.

The first thing to check is the operation of the thermostat. If the
gauge steadily rises after the engine is started, with no drops back
into the cooler zone, the thermostat is probably not opening.
  Reply With Quote
Old 24 Dec 2008, 01:37 pm   #4 (permalink)
Daniel
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 94 camry 4 cyl LE - Cooling problem.. Fans don't run when engineis hot

Leftie wrote:

> The first thing to check is the operation of the thermostat. If the
> gauge steadily rises after the engine is started, with no drops back
> into the cooler zone, the thermostat is probably not opening.


=================

True. Check the thermostat first. Make sure it is installed facing the
correct direction, nor reversed. Also insure the "jiggle" valve is
aligned with the mark in the housing.

But you also say the fans are not coming on.

That sensor is in the lower radiator tank. I think if you remove the
connection, the fail safe is the fans turn on.
  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:41 am.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.