Camry 2005 LE Brake Pads

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Apr 2009, 10:32 am   #1 (permalink)
wbraczko@gmail.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Camry 2005 LE Brake Pads

I would like to share my positive experience Camry 2005 (bought it
brand new).
After about 40,000 km on my Camry, I have purchased new brake pads
anticipating the change (this was my previous experienced with cars
that I have owned). Few days ago, during routine check, I have
checked the pads on my Camry with ~90,000 km, and there is stil ~6 mm
left on them. I have followed some posts on this news group, and
smebody recommended to change them when they down to 2-3 mm, which
means a year or more of driving on the original brake pads!
  Reply With Quote
Old 02 Apr 2009, 08:49 am   #2 (permalink)
Dave P
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Camry 2005 LE Brake Pads

all the new toyotas that ihave owned. they have gone 60.000 to
65.000,miles on the first set of brakes . the 2nd set only goes 30000
to 40000 miles altho they were done at the toyota dealership.have had
one corolla and 2 camrys

  Reply With Quote
Old 02 Apr 2009, 09:53 am   #3 (permalink)
SMS
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Camry 2005 LE Brake Pads

Dave P wrote:
> all the new toyotas that ihave owned. they have gone 60.000 to
> 65.000,miles on the first set of brakes . the 2nd set only goes 30000
> to 40000 miles altho they were done at the toyota dealership.have had
> one corolla and 2 camrys


Don't assume that the dealer is using OEM pads. I've even had a dealer
use the wrong oil in an oil change (they used their bulk oil rather than
what the vehicle required). Anything to cut costs.


  Reply With Quote
Old 02 Apr 2009, 08:20 pm   #4 (permalink)
johngdole@hotmail.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Camry 2005 LE Brake Pads

That's a reason why I always specify Akebono ProAct ceramic pads from
rockauto.com or other online places. These are very long lasting
(~60-90K miles), certainly not the 25-30K deals in typical non-
performance driving.

With dealer pads one never knows which batch Toyota happens to be
buying. You'll get maybe Akebono, NBK (which I personally consider
junk), Sumitomo seems to be available now don't know about these.

Also need to make sure the calipers are not binding (and properly
lubed) and eating up the pads.


On Apr 2, 7:53*am, SMS <scharf.ste...@geemail.com> wrote:
> Don't assume that the dealer is using OEM pads. I've even had a dealer
> use the wrong oil in an oil change (they used their bulk oil rather than
> what the vehicle required). Anything to cut costs.


  Reply With Quote
Old 02 Apr 2009, 08:21 pm   #5 (permalink)
johngdole@hotmail.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Camry 2005 LE Brake Pads

Well, some owners even reported Toyota not using the OEM coolant. But
all dealers are independently owned businesses.

On Apr 2, 6:49*am, kentuckydav...@webtv.net (Dave P) wrote:
> all the new *toyotas *that ihave owned. *they have gone 60.000 *to
> 65.000,miles *on the first set of brakes . *the 2nd set only goes 30000
> to 40000 *miles altho they were done at the toyota dealership.have had
> one corolla *and 2 camrys


  Reply With Quote
Old 07 Apr 2009, 11:22 am   #6 (permalink)
wbraczko@gmail.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Camry 2005 LE Brake Pads

On Apr 2, 9:20*pm, johngd...@hotmail.com wrote:
> That's a reason why I always specify Akebono ProAct ceramic pads from
> rockauto.com or other online places. These are very long lasting
> (~60-90K miles), certainly not the 25-30K deals in typical non-
> performance driving.
>
> With dealer pads one never knows which batch Toyota happens to be
> buying. You'll get maybe Akebono, NBK (which I personally consider
> junk), Sumitomo seems to be available now don't know about these.
>
> Also need to make sure the calipers are not binding (and properly
> lubed) and eating up the pads.
>
> On Apr 2, 7:53*am, SMS <scharf.ste...@geemail.com> wrote:
>
> > Don't assume that the dealer is using OEM pads. I've even had a dealer
> > use the wrong oil in an oil change (they used their bulk oil rather than
> > what the vehicle required). Anything to cut costs.


Is there a way of visually inspecting the pads and telling about their
quality? The ones that I bought at Toyota dealer, have "TOYOTA
AK PA533-EE" stamp on them and additional small print: "7515DA".
The pad surface has tiny silver clour spots, possibly suggesting that
they are ceramic... Also, I thought that buying at the Toyota dealer
is much safer, since there is probably some "matching" between rotors
and the pads. This is just my guess, since my knowlege is very
limited in this area. I am so impress with the front brakes on my
Camry, that I am willing to pay a premium on buying the parts from a
Toyota dealer, with an expectation that the the brakes would perfom as
well as the original.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07 Apr 2009, 11:57 pm   #7 (permalink)
johngdole@hotmail.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Camry 2005 LE Brake Pads

Excellent!! You have Akebono-made brake pads (AK edge code). However,
the aftermarkets by Akebono (ProAct) have friction codes of FF
(0.35-0.45 coefficient), IIRC.

Your "EE" friction code is the 0.25-0.35 at 250 degF and 600 degF.
Actually kinda mediocre for Akebono. So maybe the Toyota formulation
is a cheaper formulation. Because EE pads have a 0-25% chance of
fading at 600 degF.

But if it works and it's Akebono (for normal driving), go for it.


On Apr 7, 9:22*am, "wbrac...@gmail.com" <wbrac...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there a way of visually inspecting the pads and telling about their
> quality? *The ones that I bought at Toyota dealer, have "TOYOTA
> AK * * PA533-EE" stamp on them and additional small print: "7515DA".
> The pad surface has tiny silver clour spots, possibly suggesting that
> they are ceramic... Also, I thought that buying at the Toyota dealer
> is much safer, since there is probably some "matching" between rotors
> and the pads. *This is just my guess, since my knowlege is very
> limited in this area. *I am so impress with the front brakes on my
> Camry, that I am willing to pay a premium on buying the parts from a
> Toyota dealer, with an expectation that the the brakes would perfom as
> well as the original.


  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:52 am.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.