Fix air conditioning using the kit in store?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 May 2009, 04:06 pm   #1 (permalink)
cpliu
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Fix air conditioning using the kit in store?

I drive a 94 Toyota Camry 4 cyl. I've not recharged my refrigerant
until 2 to 3 years ago. The recharged refrigerant didn't even last.
When I really needed it the next summer, no cool air. The store I went
for recharge refused to check my car on why it went out so quickly.

I noticed some DIY kit to fix and recharge (R134A) the air
conditioning. It's getting close to summer again. I'm pondering about
trying out these kit. If you've tried it before with success and
failure, can you share your experience on these products? If they
work, it would be considerably cheaper than going to a store ($150 on
my wasted recharge).

Thanks for the info,

  Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2009, 04:59 pm   #2 (permalink)
Vic Smith
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Fix air conditioning using the kit in store?

On Fri, 29 May 2009 14:06:10 -0700 (PDT), cpliu
<spamfreeliu@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I drive a 94 Toyota Camry 4 cyl. I've not recharged my refrigerant
>until 2 to 3 years ago. The recharged refrigerant didn't even last.
>When I really needed it the next summer, no cool air. The store I went
>for recharge refused to check my car on why it went out so quickly.
>
>I noticed some DIY kit to fix and recharge (R134A) the air
>conditioning. It's getting close to summer again. I'm pondering about
>trying out these kit. If you've tried it before with success and
>failure, can you share your experience on these products? If they
>work, it would be considerably cheaper than going to a store ($150 on
>my wasted recharge).
>

If you get cool air for the summer with a can or two, do it.
That's not a "fix."
If that doesn't work, you're only out 10-20 bucks, and you'll have to
get it fixed by a pro.
Expect to pay for a test to find what's wrong.
A/C specialist is the best bet.
I wouldn't put anything but R134A in.
Don't use any of that stop leak junk.
Read up a little on the car before you fool with it.
Might need some ounces of oil too.
Since you call a shop a store, if you fool around near the engine,
make sure your tie or sleeves don't get caught in the fan or belt.
I recommend you take it to a shop, and not do anything yourself
unless you are willing to learn a bit about it and follow common
automotive safety rules.

--Vic
  Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2009, 08:35 pm   #3 (permalink)
HLS
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Fix air conditioning using the kit in store?


"Vic Smith" <thismailautodeleted@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:vul0259vbf2tjbfpfgj04jqm94p8e9cmdp@4ax.com...
> On Fri, 29 May 2009 14:06:10 -0700 (PDT), cpliu
> <spamfreeliu@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>I drive a 94 Toyota Camry 4 cyl. I've not recharged my refrigerant
>>until 2 to 3 years ago. The recharged refrigerant didn't even last.
>>When I really needed it the next summer, no cool air. The store I went
>>for recharge refused to check my car on why it went out so quickly.
>>
>>I noticed some DIY kit to fix and recharge (R134A) the air
>>conditioning. It's getting close to summer again. I'm pondering about
>>trying out these kit. If you've tried it before with success and
>>failure, can you share your experience on these products? If they
>>work, it would be considerably cheaper than going to a store ($150 on
>>my wasted recharge).
>>

> If you get cool air for the summer with a can or two, do it.
> That's not a "fix."
> If that doesn't work, you're only out 10-20 bucks, and you'll have to
> get it fixed by a pro.
> Expect to pay for a test to find what's wrong.
> A/C specialist is the best bet.
> I wouldn't put anything but R134A in.
> Don't use any of that stop leak junk.
> Read up a little on the car before you fool with it.
> Might need some ounces of oil too.
> Since you call a shop a store, if you fool around near the engine,
> make sure your tie or sleeves don't get caught in the fan or belt.
> I recommend you take it to a shop, and not do anything yourself
> unless you are willing to learn a bit about it and follow common
> automotive safety rules.
>
> --Vic

I agree with Vic..
Yes, you can recharge your vehicle which uses R134a with a kit.
If you follow the instructions, everything should go well.

But if you are leaking, the repair will be short lived.

Dont just add refrigerant because you think it is not cool enough.

  Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2009, 10:43 pm   #4 (permalink)
johngdole@hotmail.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Fix air conditioning using the kit in store?

Around 1995 or so Toyota issued a total recall for all expansion
valves used because of corrosion and leaks. Did you ever have that
valve replaced free under the recall?

I suspect the later valves may not be any better, except that Toyota
put it under the 3-year comprehensive warranty?

Sounds like you have a leak somwhere. Better see an AC specialist.


On May 29, 2:06*pm, cpliu <spamfree...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I drive a 94 Toyota Camry 4 cyl. I've not recharged my refrigerant
> until 2 to 3 years ago. The recharged refrigerant didn't even last.
> When I really needed it the next summer, no cool air. The store I went
> for recharge refused to check my car on why it went out so quickly.
>
> I noticed some DIY kit to fix and recharge (R134A) the air
> conditioning. It's getting close to summer again. I'm pondering about
> trying out these kit. If you've tried it before with success and
> failure, can you share your experience on these products? If they
> work, it would be considerably cheaper than going to a store ($150 on
> my wasted recharge).
>
> Thanks for the info,


  Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2009, 10:45 pm   #5 (permalink)
johngdole@hotmail.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Fix air conditioning using the kit in store?


Look under the hood. There should be a sticker telling you exactly
what type of refrigerant you have. 94 is during the transition time
between R12 and 134a. So check to make sure.

You should not be mixing different refrigerants, and besides, the
connectors won't fit.
  Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2009, 10:50 pm   #6 (permalink)
Scott Dorsey
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Fix air conditioning using the kit in store?

cpliu <spamfreeliu@yahoo.com> wrote:
>I drive a 94 Toyota Camry 4 cyl. I've not recharged my refrigerant
>until 2 to 3 years ago. The recharged refrigerant didn't even last.
>When I really needed it the next summer, no cool air. The store I went
>for recharge refused to check my car on why it went out so quickly.


So, you have a leak. The "store" probably has no way of checking for
leaks. You need to go to a mechanic.

>I noticed some DIY kit to fix and recharge (R134A) the air
>conditioning. It's getting close to summer again. I'm pondering about
>trying out these kit. If you've tried it before with success and
>failure, can you share your experience on these products? If they
>work, it would be considerably cheaper than going to a store ($150 on
>my wasted recharge).


Have you considered going to a mechanic who can actually pump the system
down and find the leak? If the DIY kit contains a leak finder and a
set of spare seals and hoses, though, you might be in the right ballpark.

$150 seems a bit much just to pump the system down and refill it. They
DID pump it down, right?
--scott
--
"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
  Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2009, 12:21 am   #7 (permalink)
liu
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Fix air conditioning using the kit in store?

>
> Have you considered going to a mechanic who can actually pump the system
> down and find the leak? *If the DIY kit contains a leak finder and a
> set of spare seals and hoses, though, you might be in the right ballpark.
>
> $150 seems a bit much just to pump the system down and refill it. *They
> DID pump it down, right?


I went to Valvoline to have it recharged. I don't recall the mechnic
mentioned the pump the system down. If they did tell me, I probably
forgot too. I will see a mechanic if nothig else works. The State
inspection has already got $400 out of my pocket with these uncritical
fixes on a car that may worth ~$1,000. I would probably have to endure
the hot summer if I can't figure it out.
  Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2009, 12:23 am   #8 (permalink)
liu
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Fix air conditioning using the kit in store?

On May 29, 11:43*pm, johngd...@hotmail.com wrote:
> Around 1995 or so Toyota issued a total recall for all expansion
> valves used because of corrosion and leaks. Did you ever have that
> valve replaced free under the recall?
>
> I suspect the later valves may not be any better, except that Toyota
> put it under the 3-year comprehensive warranty?
>
> Sounds like you have a leak somwhere. Better see an AC specialist.
>
> On May 29, 2:06*pm, cpliu <spamfree...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>

no, I didn't and it never had problem until 2 to 3 years ago.

Thank you all for the information.
  Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2009, 10:13 am   #9 (permalink)
m6onz5a
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Fix air conditioning using the kit in store?

On May 29, 5:06*pm, cpliu <spamfree...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I drive a 94 Toyota Camry 4 cyl. I've not recharged my refrigerant
> until 2 to 3 years ago. The recharged refrigerant didn't even last.
> When I really needed it the next summer, no cool air. The store I went
> for recharge refused to check my car on why it went out so quickly.
>
> I noticed some DIY kit to fix and recharge (R134A) the air
> conditioning. It's getting close to summer again. I'm pondering about
> trying out these kit. If you've tried it before with success and
> failure, can you share your experience on these products? If they
> work, it would be considerably cheaper than going to a store ($150 on
> my wasted recharge).
>
> Thanks for the info,


If you decide to replace the compressor here is a video on doing it
properly. http://www.4s.com/fourseasons/Video/...07_320X240.wmv
  Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2009, 09:13 pm   #10 (permalink)
johngdole@hotmail.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Fix air conditioning using the kit in store?

First of all, a good mechanic/shop is hard to find. Your experience
isn't alone.

If you can rule out electrical or mechanical issues and are sure that
the cause is a leak (and therefore low refrigerant), then that leak
should be fixed followed by a recharge. See Interdynamics site on
finding the leaks. There is a limit on how much DIY an owner can do,
but following their steps should help cut down on the costs.

http://www.id-usa.com/how_to_faqs_acleak.asp



On May 29, 2:06*pm, cpliu <spamfree...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I noticed some DIY kit to fix and recharge (R134A) the air
> conditioning. It's getting close to summer again. I'm pondering about
> trying out these kit. If you've tried it before with success and
> failure, can you share your experience on these products? If they
> work, it would be considerably cheaper than going to a store ($150 on
> my wasted recharge).

  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:20 am.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.