Engine Light on 2000 Camry

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Jun 2009, 07:00 pm   #1 (permalink)
camryguy89
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Engine Light on 2000 Camry

Hello All, A few weeks ago, as I was driving home from work, my engine
light randomly turned on. Not noticing any difference in the drive of
the car, I didn't take it in to get diagnosed right away. Later on
that day, I tightened my gas cap, thinking that it may have come
loose. A few days later the light mysteriously shut off. A few days
ago, the light turned back on. i haven't put gas in the car since last
week, so I know it wasn't the cap. However, I did take the cap out and
tighten it back in once again. Has anyone had a problem like this
before? I'm not too concerned over it as the drive-ability of the car
hasn't changed. (None that I could notice anyways). Just to get it
diagnosed is going to run me about 50 bucks at a local service center.
Thanks in advance for any help!

2000 Toyota Camry LE
4 Cyl.
197,000 kms
  Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2009, 08:42 am   #2 (permalink)
mred
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Engine Light on 2000 Camry

On Jun 21, 8:00*pm, camryguy89 <anthonyza...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello All, A few weeks ago, as I was driving home from work, my engine
> light randomly turned on. Not noticing any difference in the drive of
> the car, I didn't take it in to get diagnosed right away. Later on
> that day, I tightened my gas cap, thinking that it may have come
> loose. A few days later the light mysteriously shut off. A few days
> ago, the light turned back on. i haven't put gas in the car since last
> week, so I know it wasn't the cap. However, I did take the cap out and
> tighten it back in once again. Has anyone had a problem like this
> before? I'm not too concerned over it as the drive-ability of the car
> hasn't changed. (None that I could notice anyways). Just to get it
> diagnosed is going to run me about 50 bucks at a local service center.
> Thanks in advance for any help!
>
> 2000 Toyota Camry LE
> 4 Cyl.
> 197,000 kms


I had the same problem on my `02 at around 129,000 k

It was diagnosed as the vacuum switch on the charcoal canister.

After the diaganosis the light went out for about 50 k and then came
on again.

Diagnosis was about $35.00-$40.00 Canadian

I got a price of over $500.00+ Canadian to replace this vacuum switch
from the dealer.

Not just having got off a turnip truck ?I went to two other dealers
for a price to replace the vacuum switch.


Both said about $125.00 +taxes. so I went with the closest dealer
after getting a written estimate on their letterhead for the job.

(This prevents any surprise "we didnt count on **** extras over 10% of
the bill, as prescribed by law.)


And thats what it cost me and the light is still out and car runs
fine.

Incidentally you dont really need the vacuum switch until its time for
your emissions test.

The emissions test comes up in August so I`ll see if its ok then.

Hope this helps

Ed




  Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2009, 10:13 pm   #3 (permalink)
john
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Engine Light on 2000 Camry

You need to read out the code with an OBD-II scanner. In the US many
parts stores will read them for free. You may have a completely
different problem.

If it's evaporative system related I don't think the gas cap was ever
the problem. Back in 97 the problem was the then new canister design,
a real flop. But the later ones shouldn't disintegrate from the inside
and the vacuum switching valve may be the culprit.

I'm not sure if the following is the correct one, but looks like it,
$48.79 USD + shipping.

http://info.rockauto.com/SMP/SMPDetail3.html?CP419.html



On Jun 21, 5:00*pm, camryguy89 <anthonyza...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello All, A few weeks ago, as I was driving home from work, my engine
> light randomly turned on. Not noticing any difference in the drive of
> the car, I didn't take it in to get diagnosed right away. Later on
> that day, I tightened my gas cap, thinking that it may have come
> loose. A few days later the light mysteriously shut off. A few days
> ago, the light turned back on. i haven't put gas in the car since last
> week, so I know it wasn't the cap. However, I did take the cap out and
> tighten it back in once again. Has anyone had a problem like this
> before? I'm not too concerned over it as the drive-ability of the car
> hasn't changed. (None that I could notice anyways). Just to get it
> diagnosed is going to run me about 50 bucks at a local service center.
> Thanks in advance for any help!
>
> 2000 Toyota Camry LE
> 4 Cyl.
> 197,000 kms


  Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2009, 03:52 am   #4 (permalink)
Sharx35
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Engine Light on 2000 Camry


"mred" <mred@295.ca> wrote in message
news:3bc00c72-7e19-4313-9c86-ad80860af308@r16g2000vbn.googlegroups.com...
> On Jun 21, 8:00 pm, camryguy89 <anthonyza...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello All, A few weeks ago, as I was driving home from work, my engine
>> light randomly turned on. Not noticing any difference in the drive of
>> the car, I didn't take it in to get diagnosed right away. Later on
>> that day, I tightened my gas cap, thinking that it may have come
>> loose. A few days later the light mysteriously shut off. A few days
>> ago, the light turned back on. i haven't put gas in the car since last
>> week, so I know it wasn't the cap. However, I did take the cap out and
>> tighten it back in once again. Has anyone had a problem like this
>> before? I'm not too concerned over it as the drive-ability of the car
>> hasn't changed. (None that I could notice anyways). Just to get it
>> diagnosed is going to run me about 50 bucks at a local service center.
>> Thanks in advance for any help!
>>
>> 2000 Toyota Camry LE
>> 4 Cyl.
>> 197,000 kms

>
> I had the same problem on my `02 at around 129,000 k
>
> It was diagnosed as the vacuum switch on the charcoal canister.
>
> After the diaganosis the light went out for about 50 k and then came
> on again.
>
> Diagnosis was about $35.00-$40.00 Canadian
>
> I got a price of over $500.00+ Canadian to replace this vacuum switch
> from the dealer.
>
> Not just having got off a turnip truck ?I went to two other dealers
> for a price to replace the vacuum switch.
>
>
> Both said about $125.00 +taxes. so I went with the closest dealer
> after getting a written estimate on their letterhead for the job.
>
> (This prevents any surprise "we didnt count on **** extras over 10% of
> the bill, as prescribed by law.)
>
>
> And thats what it cost me and the light is still out and car runs
> fine.
>
> Incidentally you dont really need the vacuum switch until its time for
> your emissions test.
>
> The emissions test comes up in August so I`ll see if its ok then.
>
> Hope this helps
>
> Ed


Since Alberta has no emission testing that is compulsory, I did nothing when
I had that diagnosis.....years ago. 99 Camry STILL runs perfectly fine
WITHOUT any repairs on bogus symptoms.


>
>
>
>




  Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2009, 10:04 am   #5 (permalink)
mred
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Engine Light on 2000 Camry

On Jun 23, 4:52*am, "Sharx35" <shar...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> "mred" <m...@295.ca> wrote in message
>
> news:3bc00c72-7e19-4313-9c86-ad80860af308@r16g2000vbn.googlegroups.com...
>
>
>
>
>
> > On Jun 21, 8:00 pm, camryguy89 <anthonyza...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hello All, A few weeks ago, as I was driving home from work, my engine
> >> light randomly turned on. Not noticing any difference in the drive of
> >> the car, I didn't take it in to get diagnosed right away. Later on
> >> that day, I tightened my gas cap, thinking that it may have come
> >> loose. A few days later the light mysteriously shut off. A few days
> >> ago, the light turned back on. i haven't put gas in the car since last
> >> week, so I know it wasn't the cap. However, I did take the cap out and
> >> tighten it back in once again. Has anyone had a problem like this
> >> before? I'm not too concerned over it as the drive-ability of the car
> >> hasn't changed. (None that I could notice anyways). Just to get it
> >> diagnosed is going to run me about 50 bucks at a local service center.
> >> Thanks in advance for any help!

>
> >> 2000 Toyota Camry LE
> >> 4 Cyl.
> >> 197,000 kms

>
> > I had the same problem on my `02 at around 129,000 k

>
> > It was diagnosed as the vacuum switch on the charcoal canister.

>
> > After the diaganosis the light went *out for about 50 k and then came
> > on again.

>
> > Diagnosis was about $35.00-$40.00 Canadian

>
> > I got a price of over $500.00+ Canadian to replace this vacuum switch
> > from the *dealer.

>
> > Not just having got off a turnip truck ?I went to two other dealers
> > for a price to replace the vacuum switch.

>
> > Both said about $125.00 +taxes. so I went with the closest dealer
> > after getting a written estimate on their letterhead for the job.

>
> > (This prevents any surprise "we didnt count on **** extras over 10% of
> > the bill, as prescribed by law.)

>
> > And thats what it cost me and the light is still out and car runs
> > fine.

>
> > Incidentally you dont really need the vacuum switch until its time for
> > your emissions test.

>
> > The emissions test comes up in August so I`ll see if its ok then.

>
> > Hope this helps

>
> > Ed

>
> Since Alberta has no emission testing that is compulsory, I did nothing when
> I had that diagnosis.....years ago. 99 Camry STILL runs perfectly fine
> WITHOUT any repairs on bogus symptoms.


I wouldnt have done it either except for the emissions test.I really
dont know what action the vacuum switch on the canister has on
emissions.

I am mechanicall adept up to a point (having worked on my own cars for
over 60 years until I got too much arthritis to do it myself anymore)
but these new cars have me baffled.
  Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jun 2009, 03:00 pm   #6 (permalink)
camryguy89
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Engine Light on 2000 Camry

Just to Update: The light did shut off once again. It is so weird.
Next tome the light turns on, I will take the car in to get diagnosed
appropriately. Thanks for all the help and great reply's!

  Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jun 2009, 08:23 am   #7 (permalink)
norm46
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Engine Light on 2000 Camry

On Jun 27, 4:00*pm, camryguy89 <anthonyza...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just to Update: The light did shut off once again. It is so weird.
> Next tome the light turns on, I will take the car in to get diagnosed
> appropriately. Thanks for all the help and great reply's!


Been there done that. Different grades of petrol will do that when the
seasons change but it really is one or both O2 sensors. One in the
engine area and the other near the cat converter. Replaced the engine
one and went fine for awhile the light on again so replaced the other
one. No light for over a year. Repairs were less the $100 US. 1999
Camry CE with 4 cylinders.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08 Aug 2009, 08:59 pm   #8 (permalink)
camryguy89
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Engine Light on 2000 Camry

The light turned on once again, this time, I jumped at the opportunity
and took it in to the service center for a diagnoses. I was told that
the car is sensing odd temperature fluctuations. They tested the heat
valve and it was working properly. In addition, I haven`t noticed any
odd climbs in temperature to suddenly fall to a cold temperature. They
reset the check codes, so the light is off once again. Should I have
it looked over by toyota? or just forget about it?
  Reply With Quote
Old 11 Aug 2009, 09:05 pm   #9 (permalink)
Jason James
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Engine Light on 2000 Camry


"camryguy89" <anthonyzadeh@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:f72d6b71-6150-42f7-b89f-6d60c3810598@f33g2000vbm.googlegroups.com...
> The light turned on once again, this time, I jumped at the opportunity
> and took it in to the service center for a diagnoses. I was told that
> the car is sensing odd temperature fluctuations. They tested the heat
> valve and it was working properly. In addition, I haven`t noticed any
> odd climbs in temperature to suddenly fall to a cold temperature. They
> reset the check codes, so the light is off once again. Should I have
> it looked over by toyota? or just forget about it?


Because Toyota charge like wounded bulls,..I'd wait and see if you can glean
anything more from your gauges etc. It doesnt look like anything is in
danger of blowing up.

Jason


  Reply With Quote
Old 23 Aug 2009, 08:28 pm   #10 (permalink)
camryguy89
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Engine Light on 2000 Camry

I took the car to Toyota and had them Diagnose it. Turns out it needs
a new thermostat. The price installed is about 90 bucks Canadian. No
light yet. Thanks for all the input and help from other Camry drivers!

  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:25 pm.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.