Camry door frame weatherstrips

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Jun 2009, 02:39 am   #1 (permalink)
Built_Well
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Camry door frame weatherstrips

Is it okay to use the general Armor All spray on the door frame
weatherstrips of a 2006 Camry? I've used the product on the
dashboard and plastic pieces, but never on the weatherstripping,
which is that black rubber-looking stuff tracing the edges of
the doors so rain doesn't get in.

Is there a better, specialty product for the weatherstripping?
The maintenance guide for a 1987 Oldsmobile Delta 88 recommends
silicone grease (GM Part Number 1052863 or equivalent). I don't
recall reading anything in the Toyota manual about weather-
stripping maintenance. Will Armor All spray be sufficient?


  Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2009, 06:45 am   #2 (permalink)
badgolferman
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Camry door frame weatherstrips

Built_Well, 6/26/2009,2:39:48 AM, wrote:

> Is it okay to use the general Armor All spray on the door frame
> weatherstrips of a 2006 Camry? I've used the product on the
> dashboard and plastic pieces, but never on the weatherstripping,
> which is that black rubber-looking stuff tracing the edges of
> the doors so rain doesn't get in.
>
> Is there a better, specialty product for the weatherstripping?
> The maintenance guide for a 1987 Oldsmobile Delta 88 recommends
> silicone grease (GM Part Number 1052863 or equivalent). I don't
> recall reading anything in the Toyota manual about weather-
> stripping maintenance. Will Armor All spray be sufficient?


Why do you want to polish the weather-stripping? Do you have too much
time on your hands?


  Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2009, 07:08 am   #3 (permalink)
C. E. White
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Camry door frame weatherstrips


"badgolferman" <REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:xn0gbuyls294ffv002@news.albasani.net...
> Built_Well, 6/26/2009,2:39:48 AM, wrote:
>
>> Is it okay to use the general Armor All spray on the door frame
>> weatherstrips of a 2006 Camry? I've used the product on the
>> dashboard and plastic pieces, but never on the weatherstripping,
>> which is that black rubber-looking stuff tracing the edges of
>> the doors so rain doesn't get in.
>>
>> Is there a better, specialty product for the weatherstripping?
>> The maintenance guide for a 1987 Oldsmobile Delta 88 recommends
>> silicone grease (GM Part Number 1052863 or equivalent). I don't
>> recall reading anything in the Toyota manual about weather-
>> stripping maintenance. Will Armor All spray be sufficient?

>
> Why do you want to polish the weather-stripping? Do you have too
> much
> time on your hands?


Years ago I had an Audi and in the owners manual they recommended
using a silicone lubricant of a sort on the weatherstriping. I used it
seemed to help with wind noise. I assume it kept the rubber soft and
improved the door seal against the metal.

However, I wouldn't use Armor All on anything.

Ed


  Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2009, 07:34 am   #4 (permalink)
Tegger
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Camry door frame weatherstrips

Built_Well <Built_Well_Toyota@hotmail.com> wrote in news:4a446d4f$0$35399
$892e0abb@auth.newsreader.octanews.com:

> Is it okay to use the general Armor All spray on the door frame
> weatherstrips of a 2006 Camry? I've used the product on the
> dashboard and plastic pieces, but never on the weatherstripping,
> which is that black rubber-looking stuff tracing the edges of
> the doors so rain doesn't get in.
>
> Is there a better, specialty product for the weatherstripping?
> The maintenance guide for a 1987 Oldsmobile Delta 88 recommends
> silicone grease (GM Part Number 1052863 or equivalent). I don't
> recall reading anything in the Toyota manual about weather-
> stripping maintenance. Will Armor All spray be sufficient?
>
>




Don't use Armor-All. Use nothing, or use silicone. Sil-Glyde is good. It
comes in a tube. You can get that at any auto parts place in the same
location they sell Permatex silicone sealants.

If I were you, I'd use nothing at all. The rubbers used these days are very
durable and stay pliable for ages. Besides, lubricants also make dust stick
to your weatherstripping, which makes them messy.

--
Tegger

  Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2009, 08:42 am   #5 (permalink)
matrixxx09
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Camry door frame weatherstrips

On Jun 26, 7:08*am, "C. E. White" <cewhi...@removemindspring.com>
wrote:
> "badgolferman" <REMOVETHISbadgolfer...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
> news:xn0gbuyls294ffv002@news.albasani.net...
>
>
>
>
>
> > Built_Well, 6/26/2009,2:39:48 AM, wrote:

>
> >> Is it okay to use the general Armor All spray on the door frame
> >> weatherstrips of a 2006 Camry? *I've used the product on the
> >> dashboard and plastic pieces, but never on the weatherstripping,
> >> which is that black rubber-looking stuff tracing the edges of
> >> the doors so rain doesn't get in.

>
> >> Is there a better, specialty product for the weatherstripping?
> >> The maintenance guide for a 1987 Oldsmobile Delta 88 recommends
> >> silicone grease (GM Part Number 1052863 or equivalent). *I don't
> >> recall reading anything in the Toyota manual about weather-
> >> stripping maintenance. *Will Armor All spray be sufficient?

>
> > Why do you want to polish the weather-stripping? *Do you have too
> > much
> > time on your hands?

>
> Years ago I had an Audi and in the owners manual they recommended
> using a silicone lubricant of a sort on the weatherstriping. I used it
> seemed to help with wind noise. I assume it kept the rubber soft and
> improved the door seal against the metal.
>
> However, I wouldn't use Armor All on anything.
>
> Ed


I actually don't use Armor All on anything, but can you explain why I
shouldn't be?

And what DO you use in the car, if anything?

  Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2009, 08:56 am   #6 (permalink)
C. E. White
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Camry door frame weatherstrips


"matrixxx09" <matrixxx09@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:af566434-ad56-4ebe-8a5f-916d5df97583@v2g2000vbb.googlegroups.com...

> I actually don't use Armor All on anything, but can you explain why
> I
> shouldn't be?


It seems to be Armor All makes the plastic shinny for a while, but it
leaves some sort of greasy stuff that ends up on the windshield. I
figure this is at least as bad as the original out gassing from the
plastic. My parents never used anything on their dashes / seats and
those items in their cars seemed to hold up better than the same parts
in cars owned by people who constantly applied Amour All to these
parts. The last dash I had that cracked had been constantly Amour
All'd (but that was 30 years ago).

Here are some references you might find interesting:

http://www.f150online.com/forums/int...r-all-bad.html
http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-det...r-all-bad.html

> And what DO you use in the car, if anything?


Mild soapy water when I have the time. For my truck, that might be
once a year. I think the dirt makes an exellent UV protectant . The
car gets the dash and seats wiped down once a month or so with a damp
rag.

Ed


  Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2009, 09:13 am   #7 (permalink)
matrixxx09
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Camry door frame weatherstrips

On Jun 26, 8:56*am, "C. E. White" <cewhi...@removemindspring.com>
wrote:
> "matrixxx09" <matrixx...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
> news:af566434-ad56-4ebe-8a5f-916d5df97583@v2g2000vbb.googlegroups.com...
>
> > I actually don't use Armor All on anything, but can you explain why
> > I
> > shouldn't be?

>
> It seems to be Armor All makes the plastic shinny for a while, but it
> leaves some sort of greasy stuff that ends up on the windshield. I
> figure this is at least as bad as the original out gassing from the
> plastic. My parents never used anything on their dashes / seats and
> those items in their cars seemed to hold up better than the same parts
> in cars owned by people who constantly applied Amour All to these
> parts. The last dash I had that cracked had been constantly Amour
> All'd (but that was 30 years ago).
>
> Here are some references you might find interesting:
>
> http://www.f150online.com/forums/int...r-all-bad.html


Thanks. I used it years ago and never had any problems, but I do
remember it wasn't good to splash onto the windshield. I also may not
have had the car long enough for the problem to present itself.

>
> > And what DO you use in the car, if anything?

>
> Mild soapy water when I have the time. For my truck, that might be
> once a year. I think the dirt makes an exellent UV protectant . The
> car gets the dash and seats wiped down once a month or so with a damp
> rag.
>
> Ed


Do you see any problem with water with a bit of vinegar in it?

  Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2009, 09:41 am   #8 (permalink)
Scott Dorsey
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Camry door frame weatherstrips

In article <4a446d4f$0$35399$892e0abb@auth.newsreader.octanew s.com>,
Built_Well <Built_Well_Toyota@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Is it okay to use the general Armor All spray on the door frame
>weatherstrips of a 2006 Camry? I've used the product on the
>dashboard and plastic pieces, but never on the weatherstripping,
>which is that black rubber-looking stuff tracing the edges of
>the doors so rain doesn't get in.
>
>Is there a better, specialty product for the weatherstripping?
>The maintenance guide for a 1987 Oldsmobile Delta 88 recommends
>silicone grease (GM Part Number 1052863 or equivalent). I don't
>recall reading anything in the Toyota manual about weather-
>stripping maintenance. Will Armor All spray be sufficient?


If your issue is reducing squeaking noises, either one will probably be
as good as the other. If your issue is making them look nice and shiny,
the Armor-All is probably more effective.

Neither one will really extend the life of the gasket, but neither one
will hurt it either.
--scott
--
"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
  Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2009, 11:22 am   #9 (permalink)
HLS
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Camry door frame weatherstrips


"Tegger" <invalid@invalid.inv> wrote in message
news:Xns9C364CE92AACFtegger@208.90.168.18...

> If I were you, I'd use nothing at all. The rubbers used these days are
> very
> durable and stay pliable for ages. Besides, lubricants also make dust
> stick
> to your weatherstripping, which makes them messy.
>
> --
> Tegger


I tend to agree. If I were going to use something, I might use Ruglyde, or
a homemade
version of it. It is little more than a solution of castile soap (potassium
soap) in water,
and can clean and lubricate rubber.

  Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2009, 12:09 pm   #10 (permalink)
Hachiroku ハチロク
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Camry door frame weatherstrips

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 01:39:48 -0500, Built_Well wrote:

> Is it okay to use the general Armor All spray on the door frame
> weatherstrips of a 2006 Camry? I've used the product on the
> dashboard and plastic pieces, but never on the weatherstripping,
> which is that black rubber-looking stuff tracing the edges of
> the doors so rain doesn't get in.
>
> Is there a better, specialty product for the weatherstripping?
> The maintenance guide for a 1987 Oldsmobile Delta 88 recommends
> silicone grease (GM Part Number 1052863 or equivalent). I don't
> recall reading anything in the Toyota manual about weather-
> stripping maintenance. Will Armor All spray be sufficient?


Quite the discussion going on here...

I have used Armor-All almost since the day it hit the market. The gaskets
on my '85 Corolla GTS are still soft and pliable and look like new. I
don't really see a problem with it.

Silicone grease it what's usually recommended, but I've heard stories
about that, too. I used that on another old Toyota and the gaskets stayed
like new also.

Using nothing isn't recommended, unless you have a source for gaskets
cheap. I have two cars that nothing was used on the gaskets and the have
rips and stick to the doors and the trunk.

I have recently tried using Pledge, but mostly for the instrument cluster
and the dash and other plastic pieces. It shines as well and lasts as long
as Armor-All, but doesn't 'flash off' and fog the windshield.

Of course, as you can probably guess, I tend to keep my Toyotas a long
time. If you're going to trade the car in in a year or two, don't worry!



  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:02 pm.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.