Help - Overdrive Off Broken

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Jul 2009, 04:52 pm   #1 (permalink)
James F. Shearouse
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Help - Overdrive Off Broken

I have a 1995 2.2L 4-cyl Camry Wagon, auto trans. with 257,500 miles.
It runs like new, original engine & tranny. Without fanfare or noise
the "overdrive off" quit working. The book says this can be a
"circuit problem". All the connections seem to be in place, though.
The transaxle shifts great, and I can drive the car this way, but in
snow or ice or going down a steep hill it would be nice to take it out
of overdrive to have better control or so the engine can slow the
descent. The dealership mechanics replaced a "transmission switch"
which did nothing except make them some money. It's exactly the same
as when I took it in for repair. (They probably laid off or retired
the mechanic that could fix it.) What might cause the overdrive off
to stop working? What faulty part or connection should I look for to
fix this?
Thanks for any ideas that come this way.
  Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jul 2009, 10:41 pm   #2 (permalink)
john
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Help - Overdrive Off Broken

Ummm, if the OD OFF switch didn't turn it off, then the dealer was
reasonably correct to inspect the switch. Of course, we assume they
would find that it failed before changing.

So you're saying the new switch didn't turn OD off? Does the OD OFF
light come on? If so it may point to your transmission ECU. That would
be bad news ($$).

On Jul 13, 2:52*pm, James F. Shearouse <dr...@netzero.net> wrote:
> I have a 1995 2.2L 4-cyl Camry Wagon, auto trans. with 257,500 miles.
> It runs like new, original engine & tranny. *Without fanfare or noise
> the "overdrive off" quit working. *The book says this can be a
> "circuit problem". *All the connections seem to be in place, though.
> The transaxle shifts great, and I can drive the car this way, but in
> snow or ice or going down a steep hill it would be nice to take it out
> of overdrive to have better control or so the engine can slow the
> descent. *The dealership mechanics replaced a "transmission switch"
> which did nothing except make them some money. *It's exactly the same
> as when I took it in for repair. *(They probably laid off or retired
> the mechanic that could fix it.) *What might cause the overdrive off
> to stop working? *What faulty part or connection should I look for to
> fix this?
> Thanks for any ideas that come this way.


  Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jul 2009, 03:16 pm   #3 (permalink)
Dr.Dad
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Help - Overdrive Off Broken

Nope. No ODO light. No overdrive off.

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 20:41:07 -0700 (PDT), john <johngdole@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Ummm, if the OD OFF switch didn't turn it off, then the dealer was
>reasonably correct to inspect the switch. Of course, we assume they
>would find that it failed before changing.
>
>So you're saying the new switch didn't turn OD off? Does the OD OFF
>light come on? If so it may point to your transmission ECU. That would
>be bad news ($$).
>
>On Jul 13, 2:52*pm, James F. Shearouse <dr...@netzero.net> wrote:
>> I have a 1995 2.2L 4-cyl Camry Wagon, auto trans. with 257,500 miles.
>> It runs like new, original engine & tranny. *Without fanfare or noise
>> the "overdrive off" quit working. *The book says this can be a
>> "circuit problem". *All the connections seem to be in place, though.
>> The transaxle shifts great, and I can drive the car this way, but in
>> snow or ice or going down a steep hill it would be nice to take it out
>> of overdrive to have better control or so the engine can slow the
>> descent. *The dealership mechanics replaced a "transmission switch"
>> which did nothing except make them some money. *It's exactly the same
>> as when I took it in for repair. *(They probably laid off or retired
>> the mechanic that could fix it.) *What might cause the overdrive off
>> to stop working? *What faulty part or connection should I look for to
>> fix this?
>> Thanks for any ideas that come this way.


  Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jul 2009, 04:24 pm   #4 (permalink)
dsi1
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Help - Overdrive Off Broken

Dr.Dad wrote:
> Nope. No ODO light. No overdrive off.


Have you verified that the lamp has not burnt-out?

>
> On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 20:41:07 -0700 (PDT), john <johngdole@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Ummm, if the OD OFF switch didn't turn it off, then the dealer was
>> reasonably correct to inspect the switch. Of course, we assume they
>> would find that it failed before changing.
>>
>> So you're saying the new switch didn't turn OD off? Does the OD OFF
>> light come on? If so it may point to your transmission ECU. That would
>> be bad news ($$).
>>
>> On Jul 13, 2:52 pm, James F. Shearouse <dr...@netzero.net> wrote:
>>> I have a 1995 2.2L 4-cyl Camry Wagon, auto trans. with 257,500 miles.
>>> It runs like new, original engine & tranny. Without fanfare or noise
>>> the "overdrive off" quit working. The book says this can be a
>>> "circuit problem". All the connections seem to be in place, though.
>>> The transaxle shifts great, and I can drive the car this way, but in
>>> snow or ice or going down a steep hill it would be nice to take it out
>>> of overdrive to have better control or so the engine can slow the
>>> descent. The dealership mechanics replaced a "transmission switch"
>>> which did nothing except make them some money. It's exactly the same
>>> as when I took it in for repair. (They probably laid off or retired
>>> the mechanic that could fix it.) What might cause the overdrive off
>>> to stop working? What faulty part or connection should I look for to
>>> fix this?
>>> Thanks for any ideas that come this way.

>

  Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jul 2009, 06:43 am   #5 (permalink)
ransley
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Help - Overdrive Off Broken

On Jul 13, 4:52*pm, James F. Shearouse <dr...@netzero.net> wrote:
> I have a 1995 2.2L 4-cyl Camry Wagon, auto trans. with 257,500 miles.
> It runs like new, original engine & tranny. *Without fanfare or noise
> the "overdrive off" quit working. *The book says this can be a
> "circuit problem". *All the connections seem to be in place, though.
> The transaxle shifts great, and I can drive the car this way, but in
> snow or ice or going down a steep hill it would be nice to take it out
> of overdrive to have better control or so the engine can slow the
> descent. *The dealership mechanics replaced a "transmission switch"
> which did nothing except make them some money. *It's exactly the same
> as when I took it in for repair. *(They probably laid off or retired
> the mechanic that could fix it.) *What might cause the overdrive off
> to stop working? *What faulty part or connection should I look for to
> fix this?
> Thanks for any ideas that come this way.


I would leave it alone if it works, using the motor as a brake with
that many miles is asking it to break. I never turn mine off anyway
  Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jul 2009, 12:11 pm   #6 (permalink)
Dr.Dad
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Help - Overdrive Off Broken

Thanks for the suggestion. Actually, it isn't the lamp that matters.
The button switch on the shift lever no longer takes the car out of
overdrive with or without the lamp. There is a way to put the car
into self-diagnostic mode to have it send a troubleshooting code by
means of the odo lamp, but the lamp does have to turn on in order to
do that. My Haynes manual says that if the odo light does not come on
to take the car to the dealer to have him run a circuit check.
Apparently the dealer was not able to track it down, although I was
hoping. He's done a good job before on repairs to this car, but it is
also possible he has replaced his diagnostic equipment for 1995
models. They are a bit different than later models.

On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 11:24:31 -1000, dsi1
<dsi1@humuhumunukunukuapuapa.org> wrote:

>Dr.Dad wrote:
>> Nope. No ODO light. No overdrive off.

>
>Have you verified that the lamp has not burnt-out?
>
>>
>> On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 20:41:07 -0700 (PDT), john <johngdole@hotmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Ummm, if the OD OFF switch didn't turn it off, then the dealer was
>>> reasonably correct to inspect the switch. Of course, we assume they
>>> would find that it failed before changing.
>>>
>>> So you're saying the new switch didn't turn OD off? Does the OD OFF
>>> light come on? If so it may point to your transmission ECU. That would
>>> be bad news ($$).
>>>
>>> On Jul 13, 2:52 pm, James F. Shearouse <dr...@netzero.net> wrote:
>>>> I have a 1995 2.2L 4-cyl Camry Wagon, auto trans. with 257,500 miles.
>>>> It runs like new, original engine & tranny. Without fanfare or noise
>>>> the "overdrive off" quit working. The book says this can be a
>>>> "circuit problem". All the connections seem to be in place, though.
>>>> The transaxle shifts great, and I can drive the car this way, but in
>>>> snow or ice or going down a steep hill it would be nice to take it out
>>>> of overdrive to have better control or so the engine can slow the
>>>> descent. The dealership mechanics replaced a "transmission switch"
>>>> which did nothing except make them some money. It's exactly the same
>>>> as when I took it in for repair. (They probably laid off or retired
>>>> the mechanic that could fix it.) What might cause the overdrive off
>>>> to stop working? What faulty part or connection should I look for to
>>>> fix this?
>>>> Thanks for any ideas that come this way.

>>


  Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jul 2009, 12:15 pm   #7 (permalink)
Dr.Dad
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Help - Overdrive Off Broken

Thanks. That's probably what I'll do unless I can get a better idea
of where to look for a solution. The car has certainly given me good
service and one of the reasons for keeping it is the amount of cargo a
person can stuff into one of those old Camry wagons. Except for the
overdrive off thing that just happened, the car runs great. The
transmission shifts faultlessly. That odo feature, though, seems no
longer to be available.
Thanks,
Jim

On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 04:43:21 -0700 (PDT), ransley
<Mark_Ransley@Yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Jul 13, 4:52*pm, James F. Shearouse <dr...@netzero.net> wrote:
>> I have a 1995 2.2L 4-cyl Camry Wagon, auto trans. with 257,500 miles.
>> It runs like new, original engine & tranny. *Without fanfare or noise
>> the "overdrive off" quit working. *The book says this can be a
>> "circuit problem". *All the connections seem to be in place, though.
>> The transaxle shifts great, and I can drive the car this way, but in
>> snow or ice or going down a steep hill it would be nice to take it out
>> of overdrive to have better control or so the engine can slow the
>> descent. *The dealership mechanics replaced a "transmission switch"
>> which did nothing except make them some money. *It's exactly the same
>> as when I took it in for repair. *(They probably laid off or retired
>> the mechanic that could fix it.) *What might cause the overdrive off
>> to stop working? *What faulty part or connection should I look for to
>> fix this?
>> Thanks for any ideas that come this way.

>
>I would leave it alone if it works, using the motor as a brake with
>that many miles is asking it to break. I never turn mine off anyway


  Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jul 2009, 01:26 pm   #8 (permalink)
dsi1
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Help - Overdrive Off Broken

Dr.Dad wrote:

Thanks for the clarification. If you're sure that the overdrive is not
turning off with the switch and that the switch is working, it would be
logical that the problem is the wiring from the switch to your control
box - assuming that the control box controls the transmission and the
overdrive lamp. It could be an internal problem with the control box in
which case, it looks like you're not going to be switching that OD off.
OTOH, my guess is you could get one from a salvage yard pretty cheap.

I used to switch the OD off when going down a certain downhill stretch
but nowdays I don't drive down that road. If the OD did disengage
without the indicator light coming on, I'd just leave it alone. Using
the OD to slow down on ice and snow would seem to indicate that you
might be going too fast on ice and snow. OTOH, I've never driven in ice
or snow, wadda I know? :-)

> Thanks for the suggestion. Actually, it isn't the lamp that matters.
> The button switch on the shift lever no longer takes the car out of
> overdrive with or without the lamp. There is a way to put the car
> into self-diagnostic mode to have it send a troubleshooting code by
> means of the odo lamp, but the lamp does have to turn on in order to
> do that. My Haynes manual says that if the odo light does not come on
> to take the car to the dealer to have him run a circuit check.
> Apparently the dealer was not able to track it down, although I was
> hoping. He's done a good job before on repairs to this car, but it is
> also possible he has replaced his diagnostic equipment for 1995
> models. They are a bit different than later models.
>
> On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 11:24:31 -1000, dsi1
> <dsi1@humuhumunukunukuapuapa.org> wrote:
>
>> Dr.Dad wrote:
>>> Nope. No ODO light. No overdrive off.

>> Have you verified that the lamp has not burnt-out?

  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:43 pm.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.