New Corolla Good Car?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Jul 2009, 04:01 am   #1 (permalink)
Leftie
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default New Corolla Good Car?

We're seriously considering taking advantage of Toyota's 0% APR
financing offer and getting a new Corolla. HOWEVER, I know from the
Camry newsgroup that the Camry peaked about 5 years ago and is now
rather cheaply made. How has the Corolla fared? How is it for durability
and reliability compared to the latest Korean offerings like the Optima
and Sonata? Why am I comparing those Camry competitors to the Corolla?
Because here in the Northeast, the prices are very similar for all three
cars. Is the Corolla still a tougher car, or is it more of a tossup
these days?
  Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jul 2009, 06:03 am   #2 (permalink)
Elmo P. Shagnasty
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: New Corolla Good Car?

In article <VsA8m.11237$O23.2536@newsfe11.iad>, Leftie <No@Thanks.net>
wrote:

> We're seriously considering taking advantage of Toyota's 0% APR
> financing offer and getting a new Corolla. HOWEVER, I know from the
> Camry newsgroup that the Camry peaked about 5 years ago and is now
> rather cheaply made. How has the Corolla fared? How is it for durability
> and reliability compared to the latest Korean offerings like the Optima
> and Sonata? Why am I comparing those Camry competitors to the Corolla?
> Because here in the Northeast, the prices are very similar for all three
> cars. Is the Corolla still a tougher car, or is it more of a tossup
> these days?


Good question. I can say with confidence that the Corolla has gone
through the same cost-cutting measures as the Camry has. Such is the
nature of the beast.

I was looking at Edmunds yesterday, and saw that the TMV of a decently
equipped Corolla is down to $14K, because it has a $2000 rebate.

Damn.
  Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jul 2009, 11:22 am   #3 (permalink)
Mike
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: New Corolla Good Car?

It's a GREAT car but, as is the case with Toyotas in general, it is way
overpriced.

It is a buyers market today! There over a half dozen others on the market
today that are as great of greater, that are as good on gas or better and
have better/longer warranties that can be driven home for as much as 20% or
30% LESS. Some have Zero interest for longer time periods as well.

DRIVE and be sure to get a TOTAL "drive home price" for a Corolla at a
least TWO dealerships and several of the other brands on the market, then
decide which best suits your budget WBMA.


"Leftie" <No@Thanks.net> wrote in message
news:VsA8m.11237$O23.2536@newsfe11.iad...
> We're seriously considering taking advantage of Toyota's 0% APR
> financing offer and getting a new Corolla. HOWEVER, I know from the Camry
> newsgroup that the Camry peaked about 5 years ago and is now rather
> cheaply made. How has the Corolla fared? How is it for durability and
> reliability compared to the latest Korean offerings like the Optima and
> Sonata? Why am I comparing those Camry competitors to the Corolla? Because
> here in the Northeast, the prices are very similar for all three cars. Is
> the Corolla still a tougher car, or is it more of a tossup these days?



  Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jul 2009, 12:38 pm   #4 (permalink)
edspyhill01
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: New Corolla Good Car?

On Jul 19, 5:01*am, Leftie <N...@Thanks.net> wrote:
> * * We're seriously considering taking advantage of Toyota's 0% APR
> financing offer and getting a new Corolla. HOWEVER, I know from the
> Camry newsgroup that the Camry peaked about 5 years ago and is now
> rather cheaply made. How has the Corolla fared? How is it for durability
> and reliability compared to the latest Korean offerings like the Optima
> and Sonata? Why am I comparing those Camry competitors to the Corolla?
> Because here in the Northeast, the prices are very similar for all three
> cars. Is the Corolla still a tougher car, or is it more of a tossup
> these days?


My wife has one. It is a solid, reliable car but it is a Toyota which
means the interior is filled with road noise and the stereo and
speakers suck big time (replacing the radio can't overcome the
speakers and their placement). She now wishes she had listened to me
and bought Honda Civic.
  Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jul 2009, 01:39 pm   #5 (permalink)
Elmo P. Shagnasty
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: New Corolla Good Car?

In article <4a6347a6$0$24969$ce5e7886@news-radius.ptd.net>,
"Mike" <mikehunt2@lycos.com> wrote:

> It's a GREAT car but, as is the case with Toyotas in general, it is way
> overpriced.


Edmunds shows decently equipped Corollas for $14K TMV.

That's not overpriced...
  Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jul 2009, 04:39 pm   #6 (permalink)
Mike
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: New Corolla Good Car?

Check a few of its cooperators, WBMA


"Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote in message
news:elmop-26868E.14390619072009@news.eternal-september.org...
> In article <4a6347a6$0$24969$ce5e7886@news-radius.ptd.net>,
> "Mike" <mikehunt2@lycos.com> wrote:
>
>> It's a GREAT car but, as is the case with Toyotas in general, it is way
>> overpriced.

>
> Edmunds shows decently equipped Corollas for $14K TMV.
>
> That's not overpriced...



  Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jul 2009, 05:52 pm   #7 (permalink)
Mike
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: New Corolla Good Car?

Remember , ALWAYS get a TOTAL drive home price before you choose ANY
vehicle.


"Leftie" <No@Thanks.net> wrote in message
news:sJM8m.8577$501.3180@newsfe13.iad...
> Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
>> In article <4a6347a6$0$24969$ce5e7886@news-radius.ptd.net>,
>> "Mike" <mikehunt2@lycos.com> wrote:
>>
>>> It's a GREAT car but, as is the case with Toyotas in general, it is way
>>> overpriced.

>>
>> Edmunds shows decently equipped Corollas for $14K TMV.
>>
>> That's not overpriced...

>
>
> Here the Corollas are starting at $16k, actual lot prices. The Sonata
> also has a lowest MSRP of $14k, but good luck finding either car here at
> that price. If I can, though, I'll push her to get the Sonata. We have a
> friend who has had a Corolla for a couple of years, and she's at best
> indifferent about it. Not the best recommendation...



  Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jul 2009, 05:58 pm   #8 (permalink)
Leftie
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: New Corolla Good Car?

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> In article <4a6347a6$0$24969$ce5e7886@news-radius.ptd.net>,
> "Mike" <mikehunt2@lycos.com> wrote:
>
>> It's a GREAT car but, as is the case with Toyotas in general, it is way
>> overpriced.

>
> Edmunds shows decently equipped Corollas for $14K TMV.
>
> That's not overpriced...



Here the Corollas are starting at $16k, actual lot prices. The
Sonata also has a lowest MSRP of $14k, but good luck finding either car
here at that price. If I can, though, I'll push her to get the Sonata.
We have a friend who has had a Corolla for a couple of years, and she's
at best indifferent about it. Not the best recommendation...
  Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2009, 01:03 am   #9 (permalink)
Sharx35
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: New Corolla Good Car?


"Mike" <mikehunt2@lycos.com> wrote in message
news:4a6347a6$0$24969$ce5e7886@news-radius.ptd.net...
> It's a GREAT car but, as is the case with Toyotas in general, it is way
> overpriced.
>
> It is a buyers market today! There over a half dozen others on the
> market today that are as great of greater, that are as good on gas or
> better and have better/longer warranties that can be driven home for as
> much as 20% or 30% LESS. Some have Zero interest for longer time periods
> as well.
>
> DRIVE and be sure to get a TOTAL "drive home price" for a Corolla at a
> least TWO dealerships and several of the other brands on the market, then
> decide which best suits your budget WBMA.



So, what ARE these half dozen other vehicles that are as good as the
Corolla?

>
>
> "Leftie" <No@Thanks.net> wrote in message
> news:VsA8m.11237$O23.2536@newsfe11.iad...
>> We're seriously considering taking advantage of Toyota's 0% APR
>> financing offer and getting a new Corolla. HOWEVER, I know from the Camry
>> newsgroup that the Camry peaked about 5 years ago and is now rather
>> cheaply made. How has the Corolla fared? How is it for durability and
>> reliability compared to the latest Korean offerings like the Optima and
>> Sonata? Why am I comparing those Camry competitors to the Corolla?
>> Because here in the Northeast, the prices are very similar for all three
>> cars. Is the Corolla still a tougher car, or is it more of a tossup these
>> days?

>
>




  Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2009, 01:04 am   #10 (permalink)
Sharx35
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: New Corolla Good Car?


"edspyhill01" <edspyhill01@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:92176351-0d2b-4a40-b1bd-87c32b5b2b68@m11g2000yqh.googlegroups.com...
> On Jul 19, 5:01 am, Leftie <N...@Thanks.net> wrote:
>> We're seriously considering taking advantage of Toyota's 0% APR
>> financing offer and getting a new Corolla. HOWEVER, I know from the
>> Camry newsgroup that the Camry peaked about 5 years ago and is now
>> rather cheaply made. How has the Corolla fared? How is it for durability
>> and reliability compared to the latest Korean offerings like the Optima
>> and Sonata? Why am I comparing those Camry competitors to the Corolla?
>> Because here in the Northeast, the prices are very similar for all three
>> cars. Is the Corolla still a tougher car, or is it more of a tossup
>> these days?

>
> My wife has one. It is a solid, reliable car but it is a Toyota which
> means the interior is filled with road noise and the stereo and
> speakers suck big time (replacing the radio can't overcome the
> speakers and their placement). She now wishes she had listened to me
> and bought Honda Civic.


Up here, many Civics are riced-up and are the preferred vehicle of Asian
gang members.

  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:43 pm.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.