wheel bearings?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Aug 2009, 01:02 am   #1 (permalink)
Michael
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default wheel bearings?

Hi guys,

What are symptoms of bad front wheel bearings? Should they only be
replaced when there's a noise? Haynes says the job should be left to
a professional mechanic, due to special tools required... ('96 Camry,
Suspension & Steering Systems, Hub and bearing assembly - front).

Michael
  Reply With Quote
Old 14 Aug 2009, 02:10 am   #2 (permalink)
dsi1
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: wheel bearings?

Michael wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> What are symptoms of bad front wheel bearings? Should they only be
> replaced when there's a noise? Haynes says the job should be left to
> a professional mechanic, due to special tools required... ('96 Camry,
> Suspension & Steering Systems, Hub and bearing assembly - front).
>
> Michael


Typically it's a growling noise that changes with your speed. If you
hear this, try to determine where the noise is coming from and jack up
that tire. Grasp the tire at the 12 and 6 'o'clock position and rock it
towards you. If you have a bad bearing, there should be some play in the
tire.

Before you go changing the bearing, try to tighten the big hub nut
first. It might be loose, although if you've been driving with a too
loose bearing, odds are that it's damaged, what the heck, it's worth a try.

How easy is it? I suppose that if you feel comfortable with
removal/replacement of the brakes you'd probably do ok. You're almost
halfway there...
  Reply With Quote
Old 14 Aug 2009, 11:03 am   #3 (permalink)
ycleptor2@sc.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: wheel bearings?

On Aug 14, 2:02*am, Michael <mrdarr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> What are symptoms of bad front wheel bearings? *Should they only be
> replaced when there's a noise? *Haynes says the job should be left to
> a professional mechanic, due to special tools required... ('96 Camry,
> Suspension & Steering Systems, Hub and bearing assembly - front).
>
> Michael


With front wheel drive, the bearings are large and are pressed into
the hubs. It's also not an on-the-car job. The hub assembly has to be
removed to press the bearing and its attendant protective parts on.
That's why you need the special tools, although most of them could be
improvised.

Check out the shop manual under Toyota Gen2 (1987-1991) Camry Repair
Manuals, Front Axle & Suspension (2.4MB, 62 pages), pages FA-7 to
FA-14 for details on what's involved. There's also some diagnostic
information at the front of the chapter.

Cheers,

MD
  Reply With Quote
Old 14 Aug 2009, 11:05 am   #4 (permalink)
ycleptor2@sc.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: wheel bearings?

On Aug 14, 2:02*am, Michael <mrdarr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> What are symptoms of bad front wheel bearings? *Should they only be
> replaced when there's a noise? *Haynes says the job should be left to
> a professional mechanic, due to special tools required... ('96 Camry,
> Suspension & Steering Systems, Hub and bearing assembly - front).
>
> Michael


oops, forgot the url:

http://camrystuff.com/
  Reply With Quote
Old 14 Aug 2009, 12:30 pm   #5 (permalink)
Michael
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: wheel bearings?

On Aug 14, 12:10*am, dsi1 <d...@spamnet.com> wrote:
> Michael wrote:
> > Hi guys,

>
> > What are symptoms of bad front wheel bearings? *Should they only be
> > replaced when there's a noise? *Haynes says the job should be left to
> > a professional mechanic, due to special tools required... ('96 Camry,
> > Suspension & Steering Systems, Hub and bearing assembly - front).

>
> > Michael

>
> Typically it's a growling noise that changes with your speed. If you
> hear this, try to determine where the noise is coming from and jack up
> that tire. Grasp the tire at the 12 and 6 'o'clock position and rock it
> towards you. If you have a bad bearing, there should be some play in the
> tire.
>
> Before you go changing the bearing, try to tighten the big hub nut
> first. It might be loose, although if you've been driving with a too
> loose bearing, odds are that it's damaged, what the heck, it's worth a try.
>
> How easy is it? I suppose that if you feel comfortable with
> removal/replacement of the brakes you'd probably do ok. You're almost
> halfway there...



Ok, growling noise... thanks. I thought I'd ask because a friend of
mine mentioned he needed to have his wheel bearings replaced at the
shop... "wheel bearings?" I'd never heard of those...

Michael
  Reply With Quote
Old 14 Aug 2009, 02:37 pm   #6 (permalink)
dsi1
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: wheel bearings?

Michael wrote:

> Ok, growling noise... thanks. I thought I'd ask because a friend of
> mine mentioned he needed to have his wheel bearings replaced at the
> shop... "wheel bearings?" I'd never heard of those...


I recently changed the front bearing on my Taurus SHO, excuse me, I mean
Taurus POS. :-) My brother in law was using it to run errands and he
told me that my front bearing was making "some noise." When I pulled out
the drive shaft, the inner bearing race fell out along with small pieces
of metal which I guess must have formally been the roller bearings. That
must have been some noise! :-)

The 94 Taurus had to have the spindle pulled and have new bearings
pressed in at a shop which is also the case with the 96 Camry. These
days, my guess is that the bearing replacement on most cars can be done
without removing all that junk - a lot easier!

>
> Michael

  Reply With Quote
Old 14 Aug 2009, 08:28 pm   #7 (permalink)
john
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: wheel bearings?

Generally speaking it's related to vehicle speed. It may disappear
with the light application of brakes. And in turns, the side getting
the vehicle load may become louder or change in pitch.

Look at the Timken articles:

Checking Hub Bearing Assembly:
"http://www.timken.com/en-us/solutions/automotive/aftermarket/
lightduty/TechTips/Documents/
Vol3Iss1_Checking_Hub_Bearing_Assembly.pdf

Also, less applicable to sealed bearings, wear diagnosis:
http://www.timken.com/en-us/products...ments/6347.pdf

You may also be able to calculate bearing life by entering bearing
parameters and load (which I really don't understand):
http://www.timken.com/en-us/Knowledg...aringLife.aspx


On Aug 13, 11:02*pm, Michael <mrdarr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> What are symptoms of bad front wheel bearings? *Should they only be
> replaced when there's a noise? *Haynes says the job should be left to
> a professional mechanic, due to special tools required... ('96 Camry,
> Suspension & Steering Systems, Hub and bearing assembly - front).
>
> Michael


  Reply With Quote
Old 14 Aug 2009, 08:30 pm   #8 (permalink)
john
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: wheel bearings?

As far as special tools go, if your local parts stores don't do it for
about $30 each, you'll need something like a Hub Tamer:

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1996133

Or maybe the cheaper version with less bells and whistles from Harbor
Freight:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=45210


On Aug 13, 11:02*pm, Michael <mrdarr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> What are symptoms of bad front wheel bearings? *Should they only be
> replaced when there's a noise? *Haynes says the job should be left to
> a professional mechanic, due to special tools required... ('96 Camry,
> Suspension & Steering Systems, Hub and bearing assembly - front).
>
> Michael


  Reply With Quote
Old 17 Aug 2009, 12:38 am   #9 (permalink)
Michael
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: wheel bearings?

On Aug 14, 6:30*pm, john <johngd...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> As far as special tools go, if your local parts stores don't do it for
> about $30 each, you'll need something like a Hub Tamer:
>
> http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1996133



Wow.

> Or maybe the cheaper version with less bells and whistles from Harbor
> Freight:http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=45210



Amazing. Thanks. I don't think I need them yet, but I'm still
learning.

Thanks all,

Michael
  Reply With Quote
Old 18 Aug 2009, 12:03 am   #10 (permalink)
john
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: wheel bearings?

That's fine. I remember seeing the Harbor Freight kit for "rent" at
O'Reilly's. Different from Autozone's free loaner program you pay
several dollars per day. Not sure how much this kit would cost to
rent.


On Aug 16, 10:38*pm, Michael <mrdarr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Amazing. *Thanks. *I don't think I need them yet, but I'm still
> learning.
>
> Thanks all,
>
> Michael


  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:33 am.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.