Camry Noise like a race car or motorbike

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Sep 2009, 05:09 pm   #1 (permalink)
c_shah
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Camry Noise like a race car or motorbike

I have 2000 camry VE (4 cylinder) 71000 milesm Yesterday while driving
home I see it was roaring like a motor bike (or race car) I pop up the
hood up and like it was smelling like burning gas...Any one knows what
it could be?

Can I still drive the car to the repair shop or do I have to tow it to
the repair shop?

Thanks,
  Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2009, 05:13 pm   #2 (permalink)
c_shah
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Camry Noise like a race car or motorbike

may be this is coming from where engine connect to muffler?
  Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2009, 06:07 pm   #3 (permalink)
Jason James
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Camry Noise like a race car or motorbike


"c_shah" <shah.chirag@netzero.net> wrote in message
news:5a23ef96-bc9b-48a3-9f19-d8899175d2ab@n2g2000vba.googlegroups.com...
>I have 2000 camry VE (4 cylinder) 71000 milesm Yesterday while driving
> home I see it was roaring like a motor bike (or race car) I pop up the
> hood up and like it was smelling like burning gas...Any one knows what
> it could be?
>
> Can I still drive the car to the repair shop or do I have to tow it to
> the repair shop?
>
> Thanks,


It's probably the flexible exhaust pipe breaking or has a hole. They are
used where engine movement (caused by engine torque) is an issue. It is I
think, between the exhaust engine pipe and the cat-convertor. You wont cause
any damage if you quietly drive to an ezhaust repair shop. You probably will
have to slide under the car to see the flex-pipe. Its just behind the engine
towards the rear.

Jason


  Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2009, 08:50 pm   #4 (permalink)
c_shah
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Camry Noise like a race car or motorbike

I can tell I have to push the Gas padal little harder to get it going

  Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2009, 12:33 am   #5 (permalink)
Jason James
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Camry Noise like a race car or motorbike


"c_shah" <shah.chirag@netzero.net> wrote in message
news:5ad04e34-cd01-48d4-a5d4-cdf495506178@f33g2000vbm.googlegroups.com...
>I can tell I have to push the Gas padal little harder to get it going


Yeah,..my thoughts on the matter are limited unless you can post the noise
on some binary NG for example. A bad exhaust leak does sound like a Harley
running straight pipes tho,..

Jason


  Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2009, 05:27 pm   #6 (permalink)
dsi1
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Camry Noise like a race car or motorbike

c_shah wrote:
> I have 2000 camry VE (4 cylinder) 71000 milesm Yesterday while driving
> home I see it was roaring like a motor bike (or race car) I pop up the
> hood up and like it was smelling like burning gas...Any one knows what
> it could be?
>
> Can I still drive the car to the repair shop or do I have to tow it to
> the repair shop?
>
> Thanks,


Turn the engine on - if the sound is coming from the engine, you
probably have a problem with the manifold, in which case, you should
take it to a shop to be repaired. If it's coming from the exhaust pipe
under the car you could take it to a muffler shop. You should still be
able to drive the car to be repaired.
  Reply With Quote
Old 29 Sep 2009, 04:18 pm   #7 (permalink)
c_shah
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Camry Noise like a race car or motorbike

I took it to the repair shop, it was flexible pipe. Shop told me that
it will cost $460 for the whole new flex pipe but I can pay $130 to
just repair the pipe. Anyway I paid $130 and hope I was not taken on
the ride.
  Reply With Quote
Old 29 Sep 2009, 05:30 pm   #8 (permalink)
dsi1
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Camry Noise like a race car or motorbike

c_shah wrote:
> I took it to the repair shop, it was flexible pipe. Shop told me that
> it will cost $460 for the whole new flex pipe but I can pay $130 to
> just repair the pipe. Anyway I paid $130 and hope I was not taken on
> the ride.


I took my car a couple of times to Midas Muffler and asked for an
estimate. They'd say it comes out to 200 or so bucks and I'd tell ask
them to see if they could fix the hole temporally while it was on the
lift and they'd weld the hole and then I'd give them 20 bucks. Boy that
sure worked out well for me!
  Reply With Quote
Old 29 Sep 2009, 05:47 pm   #9 (permalink)
spsffan
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Camry Noise like a race car or motorbike

dsi1 wrote:
> c_shah wrote:
>> I took it to the repair shop, it was flexible pipe. Shop told me that
>> it will cost $460 for the whole new flex pipe but I can pay $130 to
>> just repair the pipe. Anyway I paid $130 and hope I was not taken on
>> the ride.

>
> I took my car a couple of times to Midas Muffler and asked for an
> estimate. They'd say it comes out to 200 or so bucks and I'd tell ask
> them to see if they could fix the hole temporally while it was on the
> lift and they'd weld the hole and then I'd give them 20 bucks. Boy that
> sure worked out well for me!



Wow! I've never heard of ANYONE getting out of a Midas shop for less
than $150, and I stopped listening 20 years ago. Those guys make Jay
Gould look like a girl scout!

  Reply With Quote
Old 29 Sep 2009, 06:12 pm   #10 (permalink)
dsi1
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Camry Noise like a race car or motorbike

spsffan wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>> c_shah wrote:
>>> I took it to the repair shop, it was flexible pipe. Shop told me that
>>> it will cost $460 for the whole new flex pipe but I can pay $130 to
>>> just repair the pipe. Anyway I paid $130 and hope I was not taken on
>>> the ride.

>>
>> I took my car a couple of times to Midas Muffler and asked for an
>> estimate. They'd say it comes out to 200 or so bucks and I'd tell ask
>> them to see if they could fix the hole temporally while it was on the
>> lift and they'd weld the hole and then I'd give them 20 bucks. Boy
>> that sure worked out well for me!

>
>
> Wow! I've never heard of ANYONE getting out of a Midas shop for less
> than $150, and I stopped listening 20 years ago. Those guys make Jay
> Gould look like a girl scout!
>


I did this was 20 or so years ago. I had a lot more hootspa back then. :-)
  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:04 am.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.