It really is lonely in here

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Feb 2011, 07:33 am   #1 (permalink)
Johnny Melvin
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default It really is lonely in here

SHAME.

Johnny UK


  Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2011, 05:10 pm   #2 (permalink)
Gordon
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: It really is lonely in here


"Johnny Melvin" <johnny@melvin.com> wrote in message
news:GUa5p.19183$Bg2.6085@newsfe03.ams2...
> SHAME.
>
> Johnny UK
>

You've spurred me into action Johnny )

Many moons ago I asked here for advice about my 05 V6 Camry. When cold it
would rev its head off to over 2000 RPM. Advice from you guys was "that's
too high". Advice locally from the experts was "yeah Camrys always do
that".

Anyway, I couldn't stand it any longer and to cut a long story short, I
installed a 5.6K resistor across the engine coolant temperature sensor
thermistor. Now when cold the engine only revs to 1400 and drops back
quickly as it warms up.

The theory was the 5.6K resistor placed across the 4.5K of the thermistor
would show 2.5K to the computer which would think the engine was warmer and
therefore not set idle speed so high. The effective resistance of the
circuit when warmed up is 240 ohms just 10 ohms lower than before the
modification so the idle speed is the same.

Sorry it took so long for the feedback.

Gordon in OZ


  Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2011, 05:18 pm   #3 (permalink)
Johnny Melvin
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: It really is lonely in here


"Gordon" <gordonwelch@bigpond.com> wrote in message
news:ij4fmg$8ju$1@news.eternal-september.org...
>
> "Johnny Melvin" <johnny@melvin.com> wrote in message
> news:GUa5p.19183$Bg2.6085@newsfe03.ams2...
>> SHAME.
>>
>> Johnny UK
>>

> You've spurred me into action Johnny )
>
> Many moons ago I asked here for advice about my 05 V6 Camry. When cold it
> would rev its head off to over 2000 RPM. Advice from you guys was "that's
> too high". Advice locally from the experts was "yeah Camrys always do
> that".
>
> Anyway, I couldn't stand it any longer and to cut a long story short, I
> installed a 5.6K resistor across the engine coolant temperature sensor
> thermistor. Now when cold the engine only revs to 1400 and drops back
> quickly as it warms up.
>
> The theory was the 5.6K resistor placed across the 4.5K of the thermistor
> would show 2.5K to the computer which would think the engine was warmer
> and therefore not set idle speed so high. The effective resistance of the
> circuit when warmed up is 240 ohms just 10 ohms lower than before the
> modification so the idle speed is the same.
>
> Sorry it took so long for the feedback.
>
> Gordon in OZ
>

Hi ,

30 years in electronics , I understand Rs in parallel.
Never thought of using one in that situation.
My 2.2 idles at 1200 from cold then down to about 800.

Keep up the good work lets get this place as it was.

Any more takers even if you just HELLO

Johnny UK


  Reply With Quote
Old 12 Feb 2011, 05:24 pm   #4 (permalink)
hls
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: It really is lonely in here


"Johnny Melvin" <johnny@melvin.com> wrote in message
news:Xsj5p.23677$qA1.18940@newsfe08.ams2...
>
> "Gordon" <gordonwelch@bigpond.com> wrote in message
> news:ij4fmg$8ju$1@news.eternal-september.org...
>>
>> "Johnny Melvin" <johnny@melvin.com> wrote in message
>> news:GUa5p.19183$Bg2.6085@newsfe03.ams2...
>>> SHAME.
>>>
>>> Johnny UK
>>>

>> You've spurred me into action Johnny )
>>
>> Many moons ago I asked here for advice about my 05 V6 Camry. When cold
>> it would rev its head off to over 2000 RPM. Advice from you guys was
>> "that's too high". Advice locally from the experts was "yeah Camrys
>> always do that".
>>
>> Anyway, I couldn't stand it any longer and to cut a long story short, I
>> installed a 5.6K resistor across the engine coolant temperature sensor
>> thermistor. Now when cold the engine only revs to 1400 and drops back
>> quickly as it warms up.
>>
>> The theory was the 5.6K resistor placed across the 4.5K of the thermistor
>> would show 2.5K to the computer which would think the engine was warmer
>> and therefore not set idle speed so high. The effective resistance of
>> the circuit when warmed up is 240 ohms just 10 ohms lower than before the
>> modification so the idle speed is the same.
>>
>> Sorry it took so long for the feedback.
>>
>> Gordon in OZ
>>

> Hi ,
>
> 30 years in electronics , I understand Rs in parallel.
> Never thought of using one in that situation.
> My 2.2 idles at 1200 from cold then down to about 800.
>
> Keep up the good work lets get this place as it was.
>
> Any more takers even if you just HELLO
>
> Johnny UK


Hello from the USA.. I wish there were more participation too,
especially in the area of modifications, engine, and customizing.


  Reply With Quote
Old 12 Feb 2011, 06:40 pm   #5 (permalink)
Johnny Melvin
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: It really is lonely in here


"hls" <hls@nospam.nix> wrote in message
news:y8mdnVpaFI4si8rQnZ2dnUVZ5hadnZ2d@giganews.com ...
>
> "Johnny Melvin" <johnny@melvin.com> wrote in message
> news:Xsj5p.23677$qA1.18940@newsfe08.ams2...
>>
>> "Gordon" <gordonwelch@bigpond.com> wrote in message
>> news:ij4fmg$8ju$1@news.eternal-september.org...
>>>
>>> "Johnny Melvin" <johnny@melvin.com> wrote in message
>>> news:GUa5p.19183$Bg2.6085@newsfe03.ams2...
>>>> SHAME.

the circuit when warmed up is 240 ohms just 10 ohms lower than before the
>>> modification so the idle speed is the same.
>>>
>>> Sorry it took so long for the feedback.
>>>
>>> Gordon in OZ
>>>

>> Hi ,
>>
>> 30 years in electronics , I understand Rs in parallel.
>> Never thought of using one in that situation.
>> My 2.2 idles at 1200 from cold then down to about 800.
>>
>> Keep up the good work lets get this place as it was.
>>
>> Any more takers even if you just HELLO
>>
>> Johnny UK

>
> Hello from the USA.. I wish there were more participation too,
> especially in the area of modifications, engine, and customizing.
>

This place used to be great.
Lots of input and help.
More Sales rubbish now SPAM
Gets all over SHAME.

104.000 miles on my 2.2 Camry now.
Have just been tidying a few bits up.
Running better but still reading up on checking the fuel pump pressure.

I have not asked in here as take to long to get an answer.
Some bits on Utube.

Cheers Johnny UK


  Reply With Quote
Old 13 Feb 2011, 12:39 pm   #6 (permalink)
Michael
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: It really is lonely in here

On Feb 12, 4:40*pm, "Johnny Melvin" <joh...@melvin.com> wrote:
> "hls" <h...@nospam.nix> wrote in message
>
> news:y8mdnVpaFI4si8rQnZ2dnUVZ5hadnZ2d@giganews.com ...
>
> > "Johnny Melvin" <joh...@melvin.com> wrote in message
> >news:Xsj5p.23677$qA1.18940@newsfe08.ams2...

>
> >> "Gordon" <gordonwe...@bigpond.com> wrote in message
> >>news:ij4fmg$8ju$1@news.eternal-september.org...

>
> >>> "Johnny Melvin" <joh...@melvin.com> wrote in message
> >>>news:GUa5p.19183$Bg2.6085@newsfe03.ams2...
> >>>> SHAME.

>
> the circuit when warmed up is 240 ohms just 10 ohms lower than before the
>
> >>> modification so the idle speed is the same.

>
> >>> Sorry it took so long for the feedback.

>
> >>> Gordon in OZ

>
> >> Hi ,

>
> >> 30 years in electronics , I understand Rs in parallel.
> >> Never thought of using one in that situation.
> >> My 2.2 idles at 1200 from cold then down to about 800.

>
> >> Keep up the good work lets get this place as it was.

>
> >> Any more takers even if you just HELLO

>
> >> Johnny UK

>
> > Hello from the USA.. *I wish there were more participation too,
> > especially in the area of modifications, engine, and customizing.

>
> This place used to be great.
> Lots of input and help.
> More Sales rubbish now SPAM
> Gets all over SHAME.
>
> 104.000 miles on my 2.2 Camry now.
> Have just been tidying a few bits up.
> Running better but still reading up on checking the fuel pump pressure.
>
> I have not asked in here as take to long to get an answer.
> Some bits on Utube.
>
> Cheers Johnny UK



Sometimes it's quicker to look in the historical archives.

Cheers,

Michael (California, USA)
  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:36 pm.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.