Toyota Lexus Forum - Performance Parts Tuning

Toyota Lexus Forum - Performance Parts Tuning (http://www.toyotalexusforum.com/)
-   Toyota Camry Club (http://www.toyotalexusforum.com/toyota-camry-club/)
-   -   2000 Camry sticky accelerator (http://www.toyotalexusforum.com/toyota-camry-club/257054-2000-camry-sticky-accelerator.html)

Winston 10 Jun 2011 12:29 am

2000 Camry sticky accelerator
 
Sometimes my accelerator pedal binds.
More pressure will cause it to 'unstick' and I lurch
forward. This is a recent symptom.

I don't think this is your typical 'throttle body' issue.
though.

If I place my foot parallel with the
gas pedal, no sticking occurs. It's when my foot is
off-axis (at some angle) to the accelerator, the
binding is reproducible.

My current theory is that there is a worn bushing or
bearing assembly at the top of that looooong pedal
rod that is exhibiting excessive 'stiction' when
operated off-axis.

I *would* just 'fix the nut behind the wheel' but
that would require painful and expensive operations
to cure my pronated feet.

I like the bushing option better.

Your thoughts please?

Thanks!

--Winston

Winston 11 Jun 2011 05:00 am

Re: 2000 Camry sticky accelerator
 
Winston wrote:
> Sometimes my accelerator pedal binds.
> More pressure will cause it to 'unstick' and I lurch
> forward. This is a recent symptom.
>
> I don't think this is your typical 'throttle body' issue.
> though.
>
> If I place my foot parallel with the
> gas pedal, no sticking occurs. It's when my foot is
> off-axis (at some angle) to the accelerator, the
> binding is reproducible.
>
> My current theory is that there is a worn bushing or
> bearing assembly at the top of that looooong pedal
> rod that is exhibiting excessive 'stiction' when
> operated off-axis.
>
> I *would* just 'fix the nut behind the wheel' but
> that would require painful and expensive operations
> to cure my pronated feet.
>
> I like the bushing option better.
>
> Your thoughts please?


So, I disassembled the accelerator pedal pivot.
There was no bushing. An axle welded normal to the
accelerator pedal arm sticks through a hard plastic
base, secured by a circlip. Plain journal bearing.
I saw quite a bit of congealed grease and dirt in
the bore.

After cleaning, lubrication and reassembly, everything
is *much* smoother. I did have one small hangup during
a drive that normally costs 10 or 15 hangups, so perhaps
there is some cleanup to be done on the throttle body as
well.

--Winston

hls 13 Jun 2011 10:15 am

Re: 2000 Camry sticky accelerator
 
You know of course that the accelerator pedal assemblies were replaced
under recall for many of these Toyota cars. The stickiness, IIRC, was
due to the plastic used in the sleeve.

If yours has not been replaced, you might want to call the nearest Toyota
dealership and see if your car is affected. If so, they will fix it
properly
for you.


Winston 13 Jun 2011 12:50 pm

Re: 2000 Camry sticky accelerator
 
hls wrote:
> You know of course that the accelerator pedal assemblies were replaced
> under recall for many of these Toyota cars. The stickiness, IIRC, was
> due to the plastic used in the sleeve.


http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/do...1V012-9198.PDF
This one?

That's for V6 cars assembled in Tennessee.
Mine's a four-banger assembled in Japan.

> If yours has not been replaced, you might want to call the nearest Toyota
> dealership and see if your car is affected. If so, they will fix it
> properly for you.


If you gave me a choice between scooping my left eyeball out with a
rusty spoon or turning my car over to a dealer for service
I'd say "just how rusty *is* that spoon"? :)

--Winston

hls 13 Jun 2011 03:24 pm

Re: 2000 Camry sticky accelerator
 

"Winston" <Winston@BigBrother.net> wrote in message >
> If you gave me a choice between scooping my left eyeball out with a
> rusty spoon or turning my car over to a dealer for service
> I'd say "just how rusty *is* that spoon"? :)
>
> --Winston


I echo that remark.

IIRC, the Japanese built cars used a special elastomer which was much
better than the one used in the USA.

Winston 13 Jun 2011 06:42 pm

Re: 2000 Camry sticky accelerator
 
hls wrote:
>
> "Winston" <Winston@BigBrother.net> wrote in message >
>> If you gave me a choice between scooping my left eyeball out with a
>> rusty spoon or turning my car over to a dealer for service
>> I'd say "just how rusty *is* that spoon"? :)
>>
>> --Winston

>
> I echo that remark.
>
> IIRC, the Japanese built cars used a special elastomer which was much
> better than the one used in the USA.


Roger that.

--Winston


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:57 pm.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54