Will the light go off by itself soon?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Aug 2011, 05:40 pm   #1 (permalink)
micky
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Will the light go off by itself soon?

JUst got my car and already a question!

I drove my 2000 Solara with the gas cap barely on, for a hundred
miles, and I think that's why the Check Engine light went on.

Now I've put the cap on right and driven about 50 miles, and the
light is still on. Will it go off by itself soon?

Thanks.
  Reply With Quote
Old 25 Aug 2011, 06:05 pm   #2 (permalink)
SMS
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Will the light go off by itself soon?

On 8/25/2011 3:40 PM, micky wrote:
> JUst got my car and already a question!
>
> I drove my 2000 Solara with the gas cap barely on, for a hundred
> miles, and I think that's why the Check Engine light went on.
>
> Now I've put the cap on right and driven about 50 miles, and the
> light is still on. Will it go off by itself soon?


Some vehicles will reset it after a certain number of engine starts and
a certain number of miles, but I don't think that the 2000 Camry does
that. Disconnect the battery for a few minutes, that should clear it.
You'll also lose any radio pre-sets.
  Reply With Quote
Old 26 Aug 2011, 09:40 am   #3 (permalink)
hls
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Will the light go off by itself soon?

I believe you can also turn that light off with an appropriate
scan tool. Autozone should scan you for free.
  Reply With Quote
Old 26 Aug 2011, 10:36 am   #4 (permalink)
micky
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Will the light go off by itself soon?

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 16:05:09 -0700, SMS <scharf.steven@geemail.com>
wrote:

>On 8/25/2011 3:40 PM, micky wrote:
>> JUst got my car and already a question!
>>
>> I drove my 2000 Solara with the gas cap barely on, for a hundred
>> miles, and I think that's why the Check Engine light went on.
>>
>> Now I've put the cap on right and driven about 50 miles, and the
>> light is still on. Will it go off by itself soon?

>
>Some vehicles will reset it after a certain number of engine starts and
>a certain number of miles, but I don't think that the 2000 Camry does
>that. Disconnect the battery for a few minutes, that should clear it.
>You'll also lose any radio pre-sets.


Thanks, and thanks, hls.

When I was looking at scanners, before I realized** it was the gas
cap, a local auto parts store also told me they would check my codes
for free, but it didn't occur to me they would erase it too!.

But now that you tell me it won't go off on its own, maybe now would
be a good time, good excuse, to buy a scanner. "Only" 60 dollars at
Autozone for Acrton CP9125. I plan to keep the car 7 years, so
that's onlyh 9 dollars a year, plus it works on other cars if it
doesn't become obsolete. They used to be over 100 dollars iirc.

If i can find the connector under the dash. I have to look.

**Actually, before my ex-girlfriend, who knows not too much about cars
suggested it was my gas cap.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07 Sep 2011, 08:27 pm   #5 (permalink)
micky
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Will the light go off by itself soon?

On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 11:36:30 -0400, micky <NONONOmisc07@bigfoot.com>
wrote:

>On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 16:05:09 -0700, SMS <scharf.steven@geemail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On 8/25/2011 3:40 PM, micky wrote:
>>> JUst got my car and already a question!
>>>
>>> I drove my 2000 Solara with the gas cap barely on, for a hundred
>>> miles, and I think that's why the Check Engine light went on.
>>>
>>> Now I've put the cap on right and driven about 50 miles, and the
>>> light is still on. Will it go off by itself soon?

>>
>>Some vehicles will reset it after a certain number of engine starts and
>>a certain number of miles, but I don't think that the 2000 Camry does
>>that. Disconnect the battery for a few minutes, that should clear it.
>>You'll also lose any radio pre-sets.

>
>Thanks, and thanks, hls.
>
>When I was looking at scanners, before I realized** it was the gas
>cap, a local auto parts store also told me they would check my codes
>for free, but it didn't occur to me they would erase it too!.


To follow up, I checked and they can't erase them, not autoparts
stores. Only shops can erase them on the idea t hat the shop would
also repair the problem.

But I was running out of time to get inspected and get Md. plates, so
I asked Autozone to check my codes. It was cool. He plugged in
but didn't even have to read what it said. He went back to the
counterr and the cash register printed a separate thing for each code.

In a way I was suprised that there were two, but it turns out these
two get set for the same reasons, and the repai method for each is the
same. So it looked like both were set by my driving with the wrong
gas cap, which I had done and which was definitely a possible cause.
I'm sure it was the cause. .

>But now that you tell me it won't go off on its own, maybe now would
>be a good time, good excuse, to buy a scanner. "Only" 60 dollars at
>Autozone for Acrton CP9125. I plan to keep the car 7 years, so
>that's onlyh 9 dollars a year, plus it works on other cars if it
>doesn't become obsolete. They used to be over 100 dollars iirc.


It turned bout that beside Acton code readers, besides code readers in
general, there are trip monitors that go on the dashboard and display
info. They tend to be more money, 150 for Scan Guage II, but they
also function as code readers/clearers. There is also Scan GuageE,
which is 100 dollars, harder to find and harder to find info about,
and physically smaller. I'm actually not sure which shows more info.

So now I had to decide what to buy, and that would certainly take more
time than I had for my inspecition, so I disconnected the battery,
which erases the codes. I just hoped the Check Engline Light wouldn't
come back on during the inspection!!! But it didn't and it's still
not on, probably because I'm using the right gas cap. If so, there
is nothing immoral about clearing the codes this way, and if the code
does come back, I'll fix the car.

>If i can find the connector under the dash. I have to look.


That was easy to find, right under the steering column.

>**Actually, before my ex-girlfriend, who knows not too much about cars
>suggested it was my gas cap.


She justly gloated about how clever she is.

  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:34 pm.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.