Possible Injector Damage in My '98

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Jun 2003, 11:05 am   #1 (permalink)
Magnusfarce
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Possible Injector Damage in My '98

My wife ran her '98 LE 4-banger out of gas about a week ago and we have had
some problems since. The car didn't actually stall out from lack of gas
driving, but rather wouldn't start in the parking lot after a stop. Tossing
in a couple of gallons got it running. However, since then we are having
some intermittent problems that were not present before. Two times since
running it out of gas the car has had trouble idling, and in a third
instance, it wouldn't start at all. In each case, the problem only lasted
for a bit and then started behaving normally again. The rest of the time,
it runs perfectly.

Does this sound like injector damage? To me, the problems we've had seem
too random; I would expect the car to run poorly most or all the time
instead of just once in an while if the problem was damaged injectors.

If it's not injector damage, what else might it be? Seems like a pretty big
coincidence that these problems started right after running dry. Any help
would be appreciated.

-- Magnusfarce


  Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2003, 11:31 am   #2 (permalink)
JoAnne
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Possible Injector Damage in My '98

Sounds like a contaminated fuel filter.
It happens when you run down to the dirty part of the tank.

"Magnusfarce" <magnusfarce2@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:flYLa.19053$C83.1810873@newsread1.prod.itd.ea rthlink.net...
> My wife ran her '98 LE 4-banger out of gas about a week ago and we have

had
> some problems since. The car didn't actually stall out from lack of gas
> driving, but rather wouldn't start in the parking lot after a stop.

Tossing
> in a couple of gallons got it running. However, since then we are having
> some intermittent problems that were not present before. Two times since
> running it out of gas the car has had trouble idling, and in a third
> instance, it wouldn't start at all. In each case, the problem only lasted
> for a bit and then started behaving normally again. The rest of the time,
> it runs perfectly.
>
> Does this sound like injector damage? To me, the problems we've had seem
> too random; I would expect the car to run poorly most or all the time
> instead of just once in an while if the problem was damaged injectors.
>
> If it's not injector damage, what else might it be? Seems like a pretty

big
> coincidence that these problems started right after running dry. Any help
> would be appreciated.
>
> -- Magnusfarce
>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2003, 02:36 pm   #3 (permalink)
Magnusfarce
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Possible Injector Damage in My '98

Since, most of time, the car can run at full power, it doesn't seem like a
dirty fuel filter (restricted fuel flow) would be the problem. If so, can
the car run flawlessly at freeway speeds at times, i.e, wouldn't a dirty
filter cause a full-time problem?

- Magnusfarce


"JoAnne" <faradayincNOspam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
newsJYLa.47030$2D1.14959424@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv. net...
> Sounds like a contaminated fuel filter.
> It happens when you run down to the dirty part of the tank.
>
> "Magnusfarce" <magnusfarce2@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> news:flYLa.19053$C83.1810873@newsread1.prod.itd.ea rthlink.net...
> > My wife ran her '98 LE 4-banger out of gas about a week ago and we have

> had
> > some problems since. The car didn't actually stall out from lack of gas
> > driving, but rather wouldn't start in the parking lot after a stop.

> Tossing
> > in a couple of gallons got it running. However, since then we are

having
> > some intermittent problems that were not present before. Two times

since
> > running it out of gas the car has had trouble idling, and in a third
> > instance, it wouldn't start at all. In each case, the problem only

lasted
> > for a bit and then started behaving normally again. The rest of the

time,
> > it runs perfectly.
> >
> > Does this sound like injector damage? To me, the problems we've had

seem
> > too random; I would expect the car to run poorly most or all the time
> > instead of just once in an while if the problem was damaged injectors.
> >
> > If it's not injector damage, what else might it be? Seems like a pretty

> big
> > coincidence that these problems started right after running dry. Any

help
> > would be appreciated.
> >
> > -- Magnusfarce
> >
> >

>
>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2003, 02:38 pm   #4 (permalink)
Magnusfarce
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Possible Injector Damage in My '98

Is there any way to repair this myself? Wouldn't this trapped air work its
way out over time?

- Magnusfarce

"ROBMURR" <robmurr@aol.com> wrote in message
news:20030630124733.09634.00001412@mb-m21.aol.com...
> You probably have air in the fuel lines.
> This is a pressurized system. Call your
> local dealer service department, I am
> sure they have seen this a thousand times.
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2003, 09:05 pm   #5 (permalink)
Chris Aseltine
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Possible Injector Damage in My '98

"Magnusfarce" <magnusfarce2@earthlink.net> writes:

> Since, most of time, the car can run at full power, it doesn't seem like a
> dirty fuel filter (restricted fuel flow) would be the problem. If so, can
> the car run flawlessly at freeway speeds at times, i.e, wouldn't a dirty
> filter cause a full-time problem?


Freeway speeds are nowhere close to "full power".


  Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jul 2003, 01:06 am   #6 (permalink)
Magnusfarce
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Possible Injector Damage in My '98

Let me rephrase, then. The car handles hard acceleration from dead stop and
also at high speed, just like normal. It's clearly not starved for fuel.

- Magnusfarce


"Chris Aseltine" <aseltine@uiuc.edu> wrote in message
news:B45Ma.86$o7.1503@vixen.cso.uiuc.edu...
> "Magnusfarce" <magnusfarce2@earthlink.net> writes:
>
> > Since, most of time, the car can run at full power, it doesn't seem like

a
> > dirty fuel filter (restricted fuel flow) would be the problem. If so,

can
> > the car run flawlessly at freeway speeds at times, i.e, wouldn't a dirty
> > filter cause a full-time problem?

>
> Freeway speeds are nowhere close to "full power".
>
>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jul 2003, 10:25 pm   #7 (permalink)
default user
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Possible Injector Damage in My '98

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 18:38:23 GMT, "Magnusfarce"
<magnusfarce2@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Is there any way to repair this myself? Wouldn't this trapped air work its
>way out over time?
>
> - Magnusfarce


There should be a valve - like a tire valve with a screw-on cap - on
the fuel rail that allows you to bleed down the pressure before
servicing the injectors. Try that - but my guess would be fuel filter.
  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:24 am.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.