Re: brake problems??? 2003 camry

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Jul 2003, 12:10 am   #1 (permalink)
aa.woods.excess@comcast.net
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: brake problems??? 2003 camry

NY-in-VA wrote:
>I have a 2003 camry le with ABS front disc-back drum brakes and 1200 miles.
>recently they started squeaking when I'm reducing speed. is this normal or
>should i go to the dealer and have them check the brakes. Please advise.
>Thank you.


I have a 2002 Camry LE that squeaks also. When the breaks have
had a bit of a workout from descending a long hill or just riding
a lot in hot weather, they get a very light high pitched squeak.
The dealer checked the brakes and cleaned them out. Pretty soon,
they started doing it again. The dealer says that you have to
expect this with asbestos-free pads. I'm not so sure about that.
The breaks stop just fine.

Does anyone have any experience actually fixing this?
--
Allan
Remove ".excess" from address for direct replies.
  Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jul 2003, 11:44 am   #2 (permalink)
John
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: brake problems??? 2003 camry

Depending on your dealer, I first had the pads cleaned a couple of years
ago, but on the second time they replaced them. The pad specification
changes all the time, so talk to your service manager nicely and you may
get free pads.

No, they are not supposed to squeak. They should come up with better
excuses than that.


aa.woods.excess@comcast.net wrote:
> NY-in-VA wrote:
>
>>I have a 2003 camry le with ABS front disc-back drum brakes and 1200 miles.
>>recently they started squeaking when I'm reducing speed. is this normal or
>>should i go to the dealer and have them check the brakes. Please advise.
>>Thank you.

>
>
> I have a 2002 Camry LE that squeaks also. When the breaks have
> had a bit of a workout from descending a long hill or just riding
> a lot in hot weather, they get a very light high pitched squeak.
> The dealer checked the brakes and cleaned them out. Pretty soon,
> they started doing it again. The dealer says that you have to
> expect this with asbestos-free pads. I'm not so sure about that.
> The breaks stop just fine.
>
> Does anyone have any experience actually fixing this?


  Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jul 2003, 09:09 pm   #3 (permalink)
Tegger®
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: brake problems??? 2003 camry

MDT Tech® <ssauer4O@repairman.com> floridly penned in
news:3F19F7D6.10503@repairman.com:

> John wrote:
>
>
>> No, they are not supposed to squeak. They should come up with better
>> excuses than that.

>
>
> Disc brake squeak has been around as long as the disc brake. Keeping
> it to a minumum is actually the goal while giving good life from the
> pads also.
>
>



As I was told by a Magna engineer, ALL disc brakes squeal ALL the time. Has
to do with the way the pads and rotor vibrate when subject to friction,
heat, pressure, dust, corrosion and moisture. The trick is to make them
squeal above the range of normal hearing, which is one thing the factory
works so hard to do.

Those little sheet-steel things on the backs of the pads are part of that
factory effort. Amazing how many people throw them away.


--
TeGGeR®
  Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jul 2003, 11:00 pm   #4 (permalink)
Andrew
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: brake problems??? 2003 camry

Maybe dogs can hear my brake pads squeak, but none seem to be bothered.


Tegger® wrote:
> MDT Tech® <ssauer4O@repairman.com> floridly penned in
> news:3F19F7D6.10503@repairman.com:
>
>
>>John wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>>>No, they are not supposed to squeak. They should come up with better
>>>excuses than that.

>>
>>
>>Disc brake squeak has been around as long as the disc brake. Keeping
>>it to a minumum is actually the goal while giving good life from the
>>pads also.
>>
>>

>
>
>
> As I was told by a Magna engineer, ALL disc brakes squeal ALL the time. Has
> to do with the way the pads and rotor vibrate when subject to friction,
> heat, pressure, dust, corrosion and moisture. The trick is to make them
> squeal above the range of normal hearing, which is one thing the factory
> works so hard to do.
>
> Those little sheet-steel things on the backs of the pads are part of that
> factory effort. Amazing how many people throw them away.
>
>


  Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jul 2003, 02:45 pm   #5 (permalink)
John
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: brake problems??? 2003 camry

You are wrong, cars equipped with disc brakes can be very quiet. Listen
to cars braking (except in your neighborhood).

Cheap pad formulation among others is a source of noise complaints. Good
caliper design, improved pad material, slotting, beveling and shims
eliminate brake squeak. And I am not talking about squeaks caused by
poor installation and rotor machining.


MDT Tech® wrote:
> John wrote:
>
>
>> No, they are not supposed to squeak. They should come up with better
>> excuses than that.

>
>
>
> Disc brake squeak has been around as long as the disc brake. Keeping it
> to a minumum is actually the goal while giving good life from the pads
> also.
>


  Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jul 2003, 06:36 pm   #6 (permalink)
MDT Tech®
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: brake problems??? 2003 camry

John wrote:
> You are wrong, cars equipped with disc brakes can be very quiet. Listen
> to cars braking (except in your neighborhood).


No I'm not, you are. Sure brakes are quiet, I've never had a disc brake
squeak, but many people have with all the correct gear. Swapping some
parts can help at times. Aftermerket pads are the worst and leaving the
shims out is a bad idea.

>
> Cheap pad formulation among others is a source of noise complaints. Good
> caliper design, improved pad material, slotting, beveling and shims
> eliminate brake squeak. And I am not talking about squeaks caused by
> poor installation and rotor machining.


Me neither.


DFisc brake squeak will be around longer after were both dead John.


--





Hey, do you smell that? Smells like something died?
Is it dogshit on the bottom of your feet?
Nope, its just Uday and Qusay!
I slept better last night knowing they have assumed
room temperature!
Looking forward to seeing these rotting corpse of these thugs
on TV!

  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:57 pm.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.