AC vents won't stay put

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Jul 2003, 01:22 pm   #1 (permalink)
Heather
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default AC vents won't stay put

Hi,

Can anyone offer any suggestions on a remedy for keeping the AC vents
in my 2000 Camry in place? They have lost their friction and do not
stay put in an 'intermediate' position; they want to roll all they way
to the 'bottom' or 'top', to rest against the mechanism holding them
in the dash. They obviously need to be tightened but even the most
automotive savvy friends of mine have said that gaining entry into the
dash to accomplish this is no small beans worth of work.

Thanks for any feedback!

Heather
  Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2003, 01:40 pm   #2 (permalink)
Mark A
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: AC vents won't stay put

"Heather" <heather@tadland.net> wrote in message
news:3359f716.0307201022.b3e84c2@posting.google.co m...
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone offer any suggestions on a remedy for keeping the AC vents
> in my 2000 Camry in place? They have lost their friction and do not
> stay put in an 'intermediate' position; they want to roll all they way
> to the 'bottom' or 'top', to rest against the mechanism holding them
> in the dash. They obviously need to be tightened but even the most
> automotive savvy friends of mine have said that gaining entry into the
> dash to accomplish this is no small beans worth of work.
>
> Thanks for any feedback!
>
> Heather


Is the car still in warranty (36 months/36K miles)? Even if it is not, take
it to a dealer and sweet talk the service manager and ask him if he has any
idea what the problem is, and whether it can be easily fixed.


  Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jul 2003, 10:45 am   #3 (permalink)
Richard Duane
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: AC vents won't stay put

We tried the dealer "fix" and it didn't work worth a darn.

Then I took a piece of velcro with adheasive on the backsides,
threw away the flat half/side, and stuck small 1"x 1/2" pieces of the
other side to the top-inside of the each vent hole so that the "loops"
on the velcro stuck down against the movable vanes. The loops put
just enough pressure on the vanes to keep them from flopping around,
but not so much that they were not easly movable.
Sparkey

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 12:40:31 -0600, "Mark A" <ma@switchboard.net>
wrote:

>"Heather" <heather@tadland.net> wrote in message
>news:3359f716.0307201022.b3e84c2@posting.google.c om...
>> Hi,
>>
>> Can anyone offer any suggestions on a remedy for keeping the AC vents
>> in my 2000 Camry in place? They have lost their friction and do not
>> stay put in an 'intermediate' position; they want to roll all they way
>> to the 'bottom' or 'top', to rest against the mechanism holding them
>> in the dash. They obviously need to be tightened but even the most
>> automotive savvy friends of mine have said that gaining entry into the
>> dash to accomplish this is no small beans worth of work.
>>
>> Thanks for any feedback!
>>
>> Heather

>
>Is the car still in warranty (36 months/36K miles)? Even if it is not, take
>it to a dealer and sweet talk the service manager and ask him if he has any
>idea what the problem is, and whether it can be easily fixed.
>


  Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jul 2003, 12:12 pm   #4 (permalink)
Jack
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: AC vents won't stay put

Just curious, what was the "dealer's fix"??
"Mark A" <ma@switchboard.net> wrote in message
news:8nBSa.396$Ks2.31209@news.uswest.net...
> "Heather" <heather@tadland.net> wrote in message
> news:3359f716.0307201022.b3e84c2@posting.google.co m...
> > Hi,
> >
> > Can anyone offer any suggestions on a remedy for keeping the AC vents
> > in my 2000 Camry in place? They have lost their friction and do not
> > stay put in an 'intermediate' position; they want to roll all they way
> > to the 'bottom' or 'top', to rest against the mechanism holding them
> > in the dash. They obviously need to be tightened but even the most
> > automotive savvy friends of mine have said that gaining entry into the
> > dash to accomplish this is no small beans worth of work.
> >
> > Thanks for any feedback!
> >
> > Heather

>
> Is the car still in warranty (36 months/36K miles)? Even if it is not,

take
> it to a dealer and sweet talk the service manager and ask him if he has

any
> idea what the problem is, and whether it can be easily fixed.
>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jul 2003, 09:35 pm   #5 (permalink)
Sparkey
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: AC vents won't stay put

The dealer hited that they would install small clips in each vent,
but acknowledged before they even started that it probably would
not help; and it didn't. (I couldn't see anything)
Sparkey

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 17:12:16 GMT, "Jack" <jj@aol.com> wrote:

>Just curious, what was the "dealer's fix"??
>"Mark A" <ma@switchboard.net> wrote in message
>news:8nBSa.396$Ks2.31209@news.uswest.net...
>> "Heather" <heather@tadland.net> wrote in message
>> news:3359f716.0307201022.b3e84c2@posting.google.co m...
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Can anyone offer any suggestions on a remedy for keeping the AC vents
>> > in my 2000 Camry in place? They have lost their friction and do not
>> > stay put in an 'intermediate' position; they want to roll all they way
>> > to the 'bottom' or 'top', to rest against the mechanism holding them
>> > in the dash. They obviously need to be tightened but even the most
>> > automotive savvy friends of mine have said that gaining entry into the
>> > dash to accomplish this is no small beans worth of work.
>> >
>> > Thanks for any feedback!
>> >
>> > Heather

>>
>> Is the car still in warranty (36 months/36K miles)? Even if it is not,

>take
>> it to a dealer and sweet talk the service manager and ask him if he has

>any
>> idea what the problem is, and whether it can be easily fixed.
>>
>>

>


  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:21 am.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.