93 Camry LE V6 - Timing Belt Interference?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Aug 2003, 07:02 am   #1 (permalink)
SpeedFreak
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default 93 Camry LE V6 - Timing Belt Interference?

Is the 93 Camry LE V6 engine and interference engine?
ie. If the timing belt lets go, is there severe engine damage?

JM
Toronto


  Reply With Quote
Old 02 Aug 2003, 08:58 am   #2 (permalink)
Car Guy
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 93 Camry LE V6 - Timing Belt Interference?

Hello JM (Fellow Torontonian),

I believe the 93 Camry LE V6 has the 3VZ-FE engine model and as far as I
know, this is a free running (non interference) engine design. If the belt
breaks, then the car will stall and you replace the belt. This is the worse
case scenerio.

Personally I would follow Toyota recommendations for service and I think for
that engine, it is to replace the timing belt and the water pump at 100,000
KM (60,000 miles). The reason to replace the water pump is that if the
coolant leaks, the gycol will ruin the timing belt and require it to be
changed again.

Where do you take your vehicle in for service?



"SpeedFreak" <go200kph@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:OKsWa.192$67.3588@read1.cgocable.net...
> Is the 93 Camry LE V6 engine and interference engine?
> ie. If the timing belt lets go, is there severe engine damage?
>
> JM
> Toronto
>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 02 Aug 2003, 10:08 am   #3 (permalink)
Anthony Giorgianni
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 93 Camry LE V6 - Timing Belt Interference?

Actually, the worst case scenario is that the engine will stop, you'll lose
power steering and braking, you'll end up stopped in the middle of an
intersection and get broad-sided by an 18-wheeler. Definitely, change the
belt when recommended.


--
Regards,
Anthony Giorgianni

(I prefer that you reply by posting back to the newsgroup. If you must
email: remove "killspam" from reply address. This email address will be
valid for a short time only.)
"Car Guy" <NOSPAM@ISP.COM> wrote in message
news:9sPWa.1610$Ji1.301882@news20.bellglobal.com.. .
> Hello JM (Fellow Torontonian),
>
> I believe the 93 Camry LE V6 has the 3VZ-FE engine model and as far as I
> know, this is a free running (non interference) engine design. If the

belt
> breaks, then the car will stall and you replace the belt. This is the

worse
> case scenerio.
>
> Personally I would follow Toyota recommendations for service and I think

for
> that engine, it is to replace the timing belt and the water pump at

100,000
> KM (60,000 miles). The reason to replace the water pump is that if the
> coolant leaks, the gycol will ruin the timing belt and require it to be
> changed again.
>
> Where do you take your vehicle in for service?
>
>
>
> "SpeedFreak" <go200kph@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:OKsWa.192$67.3588@read1.cgocable.net...
> > Is the 93 Camry LE V6 engine and interference engine?
> > ie. If the timing belt lets go, is there severe engine damage?
> >
> > JM
> > Toronto
> >
> >

>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 02 Aug 2003, 04:43 pm   #4 (permalink)
Philip®
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 93 Camry LE V6 - Timing Belt Interference?

You do not lose braking immediately. There is sufficient vacuum stored
in the brake booster for about 5 apply-release-apply of the service brake
with no engine. Steering goes away with the engine not turning.
--

~~Philip

cantankerous | kan-TANG-kruss | adjective: difficult or irritating to
deal with.

Example: Philip was always cantankerous in the morning, given to snapping
and snarling until he'd had his first cup of coffee and a soothing hot
shower.


In news:9uQWa.81365$3o3.5603632@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net,
Anthony Giorgianni <agkillspamspring03@att.net> jubilantly posted:
> Actually, the worst case scenario is that the engine will stop,
> you'll lose power steering and braking, you'll end up stopped in
> the middle of an intersection and get broad-sided by an
> 18-wheeler. Definitely, change the belt when recommended.
>
>
>
> (I prefer that you reply by posting back to the newsgroup. If you
> must email: remove "killspam" from reply address. This email
> address will be valid for a short time only.)
> "Car Guy" <NOSPAM@ISP.COM> wrote in message
> news:9sPWa.1610$Ji1.301882@news20.bellglobal.com.. .
>> Hello JM (Fellow Torontonian),
>>
>> I believe the 93 Camry LE V6 has the 3VZ-FE engine model and as
>> far as I know, this is a free running (non interference) engine
>> design. If the belt breaks, then the car will stall and you
>> replace the belt. This is the worse case scenerio.
>>
>> Personally I would follow Toyota recommendations for service and
>> I think for that engine, it is to replace the timing belt and the
>> water pump at 100,000 KM (60,000 miles). The reason to replace
>> the water pump is that if the coolant leaks, the gycol will ruin
>> the timing belt and require it to be changed again.
>>
>> Where do you take your vehicle in for service?
>>
>>
>>
>> "SpeedFreak" <go200kph@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:OKsWa.192$67.3588@read1.cgocable.net...
>>> Is the 93 Camry LE V6 engine and interference engine?
>>> ie. If the timing belt lets go, is there severe engine damage?
>>>
>>> JM
>>> Toronto




  Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2003, 05:15 pm   #5 (permalink)
Bill
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 93 Camry LE V6 - Timing Belt Interference?

The engine will be DRT...dead right there, period.

Bill

On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 08:02:45 -0400, "SpeedFreak" <go200kph@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Is the 93 Camry LE V6 engine and interference engine?
>ie. If the timing belt lets go, is there severe engine damage?
>
>JM
>Toronto
>


  Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2003, 06:18 pm   #6 (permalink)
Car Guy
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 93 Camry LE V6 - Timing Belt Interference?

I thought the 93 Camry V6 was a 4VZ-FE non interference engine design?

"Bill" <caswell@mindspring.com> wrote in message
news:1r63qv8njjtatqcgd5vs1bf4kguekl4210@4ax.com...
> The engine will be DRT...dead right there, period.
>
> Bill
>
> On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 08:02:45 -0400, "SpeedFreak" <go200kph@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Is the 93 Camry LE V6 engine and interference engine?
> >ie. If the timing belt lets go, is there severe engine damage?
> >
> >JM
> >Toronto
> >

>



  Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2003, 06:18 pm   #7 (permalink)
Car Guy
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 93 Camry LE V6 - Timing Belt Interference?

sorry 3VZ-FE
"Car Guy" <nothing@something.com> wrote in message
news:PShob.5565$Nm6.332852@news20.bellglobal.com.. .
> I thought the 93 Camry V6 was a 4VZ-FE non interference engine design?
>
> "Bill" <caswell@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> news:1r63qv8njjtatqcgd5vs1bf4kguekl4210@4ax.com...
> > The engine will be DRT...dead right there, period.
> >
> > Bill
> >
> > On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 08:02:45 -0400, "SpeedFreak" <go200kph@hotmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >Is the 93 Camry LE V6 engine and interference engine?
> > >ie. If the timing belt lets go, is there severe engine damage?
> > >
> > >JM
> > >Toronto
> > >

> >

>
>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2003, 08:29 pm   #8 (permalink)
Philip ®
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 93 Camry LE V6 - Timing Belt Interference?

In ANY four cycle engine.... when the camshaft stops turning, so will
the crankshaft will stop shortly thereafter. Any damage incured
depends on the "interference" or "non-interference" design. You be
walkin'.
--

~~Philip "Never let school interfere
with your education - Mark Twain"

>In news:PShob.5565$Nm6.332852@news20.bellglobal.com,
>Car Guy <nothing@something.com> being of bellicose mind posted:
> I thought the 93 Camry V6 was a 4VZ-FE non interference engine
> design?
>
> "Bill" <caswell@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> news:1r63qv8njjtatqcgd5vs1bf4kguekl4210@4ax.com...
> > The engine will be DRT...dead right there, period.
> >
> > Bill
> >
> > On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 08:02:45 -0400, "SpeedFreak"
> > <go200kph@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Is the 93 Camry LE V6 engine and interference engine?
> > > ie. If the timing belt lets go, is there severe engine damage?
> > >
> > > JM
> > > Toronto




  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:47 am.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.