Stuck right side (passenger) half-shaft

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Aug 2003, 03:58 pm   #1 (permalink)
Platil
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Stuck right side (passenger) half-shaft

Yep, it's a frozen carrier bearing-to-bracket holding things up on my 94, 4
cyl Camry. Snap-ring and lock bolt are removed. I soaked the area 2 days
prior with PB blaster and drowned it since starting, but no dice.

Your advice on how you got the thing removed/unstuck is greatly appreciated.


  Reply With Quote
Old 01 Aug 2003, 09:19 pm   #2 (permalink)
Gary Danaher
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Stuck right side (passenger) half-shaft

Isn't that one that has to be pressed out??

Platil wrote:

> Yep, it's a frozen carrier bearing-to-bracket holding things up on my 94, 4
> cyl Camry. Snap-ring and lock bolt are removed. I soaked the area 2 days
> prior with PB blaster and drowned it since starting, but no dice.
>
> Your advice on how you got the thing removed/unstuck is greatly appreciated.
>
>


  Reply With Quote
Old 01 Aug 2003, 10:56 pm   #3 (permalink)
Platil
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Stuck right side (passenger) half-shaft

Nope, it's just a B*&^%# to get out because it rust-welds itself to the
housing.

I did finally get it out with the aid of a large brass drift and hammer, but
now I have a scraping sound from the carrier bearing. Looks like I will
pull it, and go with new half shaft.

I have had about 50/50 luck with CCT rebuilds. They are NAPA's, A Zone, and
Parts America's house brand. Think I might try another reman brand (Beck
Arney or Cardone) or just go with a brand new GCK.


"Gary Danaher" <gdanaher@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:3F2B1FCE.1060601@comcast.net...
> Isn't that one that has to be pressed out??
>
> Platil wrote:
>
> > Yep, it's a frozen carrier bearing-to-bracket holding things up on my

94, 4
> > cyl Camry. Snap-ring and lock bolt are removed. I soaked the area 2

days
> > prior with PB blaster and drowned it since starting, but no dice.
> >
> > Your advice on how you got the thing removed/unstuck is greatly

appreciated.
> >
> >

>



  Reply With Quote
Old 02 Aug 2003, 07:59 am   #4 (permalink)
Gary Danaher
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Stuck right side (passenger) half-shaft

Many of these places offer a 'lifetime' warranty so check into that.
They might not last over 40k miles, but that might be all you need. A
lithiumn greese on the surfaces when you reinstall the thing might help
the next time you need to pull it. The half axle assembly from Toyota is
terribly expensive so you can buy several rebuilts before you've spent
more than the single Toyota.

Platil wrote:
> Nope, it's just a B*&^%# to get out because it rust-welds itself to the
> housing.
>
> I did finally get it out with the aid of a large brass drift and hammer, but
> now I have a scraping sound from the carrier bearing. Looks like I will
> pull it, and go with new half shaft.
>
> I have had about 50/50 luck with CCT rebuilds. They are NAPA's, A Zone, and
> Parts America's house brand. Think I might try another reman brand (Beck
> Arney or Cardone) or just go with a brand new GCK.
>
>
> "Gary Danaher" <gdanaher@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:3F2B1FCE.1060601@comcast.net...
>
>>Isn't that one that has to be pressed out??
>>
>>Platil wrote:
>>
>>
>>>Yep, it's a frozen carrier bearing-to-bracket holding things up on my

>
> 94, 4
>
>>>cyl Camry. Snap-ring and lock bolt are removed. I soaked the area 2

>
> days
>
>>>prior with PB blaster and drowned it since starting, but no dice.
>>>
>>>Your advice on how you got the thing removed/unstuck is greatly

>
> appreciated.
>
>>>

>
>


  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:03 pm.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.