Help - 91 Camry Trunk Lid Adj

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Aug 2003, 09:04 pm   #1 (permalink)
-
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Help - 91 Camry Trunk Lid Adj

If anyone has advice please on how to adjust/repair the trunk lid hinge
on a 91 Camry, I would appreciate the info. The passenger side of the
trunk up near the hinge keeps getting higher and higher (farther out of
alignment) right where the hinge attaches to the trunk lid. I have seen
this problem on many similar cars, so this appears to be a common
problem. I can't see that anything is bent and I don't know if there
is an adjustment for this.

Thanks in advance,
Doug
  Reply With Quote
Old 09 Aug 2003, 12:02 pm   #2 (permalink)
John Briggs
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Help - 91 Camry Trunk Lid Adj

On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 23:14:28 -0600, MDT Tech® wrote:

> - wrote:
>> If anyone has advice please on how to adjust/repair the trunk lid hinge
>> on a 91 Camry, I would appreciate the info. The passenger side of the
>> trunk up near the hinge keeps getting higher and higher (farther out of
>> alignment) right where the hinge attaches to the trunk lid. I have
>> seen this problem on many similar cars, so this appears to be a common
>> problem. I can't see that anything is bent and I don't know if there
>> is an adjustment for this.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Doug

>
> Doug, you have a worn hinge on that side, it will need to be replaced.


There is a rivet at pivot that wears badly in this model. I repaired mine
by prying out the rivet and replacing it with a bolt and lock nut.
Keeping the hinge lubricated will help to avoid this problem.

John
  Reply With Quote
Old 09 Aug 2003, 01:56 pm   #3 (permalink)
Bruce L. Bergman
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Help - 91 Camry Trunk Lid Adj

On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 11:02:25 -0600, someone who calls themselves John
Briggs <jbriggs@nospam.net> wrote:
>On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 23:14:28 -0600, MDT Tech® wrote:
>> Doug wrote:


>>> If anyone has advice please on how to adjust/repair the trunk lid hinge
>>> on a 91 Camry, I would appreciate the info. The passenger side of the
>>> trunk up near the hinge keeps getting higher and higher (farther out of
>>> alignment) right where the hinge attaches to the trunk lid. I have
>>> seen this problem on many similar cars, so this appears to be a common
>>> problem. I can't see that anything is bent and I don't know if there
>>> is an adjustment for this.

>>
>> Doug, you have a worn hinge on that side, it will need to be replaced.

>
>There is a rivet at pivot that wears badly in this model. I repaired mine
>by prying out the rivet and replacing it with a bolt and lock nut.
>Keeping the hinge lubricated will help to avoid this problem.


A rivet at the pivot, you say... Is there a chalice with a palace
nearby? Or a flagon with a dragon? <rimshot> ;-P

Seriously, if you wanted to fix his on the cheap, get the hinge
loose and grind out the rivet so you have two halves.

Clamp the hinge and the hinge base on a drill press and re-drill the
holes bigger to the next standard bolt shank size, shifting the parts
to allow for the side that was worn - so the hole is larger, but
centered where it's supposed to be centered. DO NOT force a dull
drill through by sheer friction and ruin the temper of the steel.
De-burr the holes.

Go find a bolt that has the right length of smooth shank under the
bolt head to go through the hinge pin portion, allow for a couple flat
washers, and have the threaded part start up right where the nut will
go - the length of the threads is not important, you need a smooth
shank as the hinge pivot. Threads will wear down too fast, and you'll
be right back where you started with a sloppy hinge.

Put one flatwasher on the bolt, put the bolt through the hinge body
and hinge arm, another flatwasher, and then thread a Nylock nut and
snug it down against the end of the threads. Cut off the excess
threads with a hacksaw or Sawzall. Bolt it onto the car and test the
fit and operation - if it's sloppy, add another flatwasher.

If it works OK take it all apart, clean everything. Grease the hinge
and assemble (and if you didn't have a Nylock nut, take a centerpunch
and stake the nut threads on so it can't back out) and bolt it on the
car for good.

--<< Bruce >>--
--
Bruce L. Bergman, POB 394, Woodland Hills CA 91365, USA
Electrician, Westend Electric (#726700) Agoura, CA

WARNING: UCE Spam E-mail is not welcome here. I report violators.
SpamBlock In Use - Remove the "Python" with a "net" to E-Mail.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11 Aug 2003, 08:45 am   #4 (permalink)
Dan Gates
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Help - 91 Camry Trunk Lid Adj

Bruce L. Bergman wrote:
> On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 11:02:25 -0600, someone who calls themselves John
> Briggs <jbriggs@nospam.net> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 23:14:28 -0600, MDT Tech® wrote:
>>
>>>Doug wrote:

>
>
>>>>If anyone has advice please on how to adjust/repair the trunk lid hinge
>>>>on a 91 Camry, I would appreciate the info. The passenger side of the
>>>>trunk up near the hinge keeps getting higher and higher (farther out of
>>>>alignment) right where the hinge attaches to the trunk lid. I have
>>>>seen this problem on many similar cars, so this appears to be a common
>>>>problem. I can't see that anything is bent and I don't know if there
>>>>is an adjustment for this.
>>>
>>>Doug, you have a worn hinge on that side, it will need to be replaced.

>>
>>There is a rivet at pivot that wears badly in this model. I repaired mine
>>by prying out the rivet and replacing it with a bolt and lock nut.
>>Keeping the hinge lubricated will help to avoid this problem.

>
>
> A rivet at the pivot, you say... Is there a chalice with a palace
> nearby? Or a flagon with a dragon? <rimshot> ;-P
>
> Seriously, if you wanted to fix his on the cheap, get the hinge
> loose and grind out the rivet so you have two halves.
>
> Clamp the hinge and the hinge base on a drill press and re-drill the
> holes bigger to the next standard bolt shank size, shifting the parts
> to allow for the side that was worn - so the hole is larger, but
> centered where it's supposed to be centered. DO NOT force a dull
> drill through by sheer friction and ruin the temper of the steel.
> De-burr the holes.
>
> Go find a bolt that has the right length of smooth shank under the
> bolt head to go through the hinge pin portion, allow for a couple flat
> washers, and have the threaded part start up right where the nut will
> go - the length of the threads is not important, you need a smooth
> shank as the hinge pivot. Threads will wear down too fast, and you'll
> be right back where you started with a sloppy hinge.
>
> Put one flatwasher on the bolt, put the bolt through the hinge body
> and hinge arm, another flatwasher, and then thread a Nylock nut and
> snug it down against the end of the threads. Cut off the excess
> threads with a hacksaw or Sawzall. Bolt it onto the car and test the
> fit and operation - if it's sloppy, add another flatwasher.
>
> If it works OK take it all apart, clean everything. Grease the hinge
> and assemble (and if you didn't have a Nylock nut, take a centerpunch
> and stake the nut threads on so it can't back out) and bolt it on the
> car for good.
>
> --<< Bruce >>--




Or, go to your friendly neighbourhood Toyota dealer and buy the part.
Install it. Carry on.

It is fairly obvious that the original poster is less than a machinist.
It is unlikely he has a drill press, which is the best way to
accomplish a straight, round hole. He will attempt this with is 6V B&D
cordless drill, get a nice ob-round hole and be worse off than he is
now, with greasy, bloody hands and a goose-egg on his head where the
trunk fell on him.

Not trying to offend the original poster, but if he asked the question
without first discovering that the hinge is worn at the rivet, he is not
a real do-it-yourselfer in the automotive department. I could be all
wrong, he may be a fully qualified machinist with a shop better than a
NASCAR team, and just acting like a troll. But I doubt it.

Dan

  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:43 pm.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.