How to read gas gauge of 1994 camry?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Feb 2010, 01:01 pm   #1 (permalink)
cpliu
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default How to read gas gauge of 1994 camry?

Is there a documentation on how much gas is left for each increments
in the gas gauge of a 1994 Toyota Camry? This would be very helpful in
estimating how long can my car can last before the need to add gas.

From my rough estimate:
When it reaches E (empty): 2 to 2.3 Gallon left; not all cars have
that much left after warning signal is on.
Between the middle point and the 1/4 point: a little less than 4
Gallon (drove 140 miles at ~35 to 38 MPG)
Between the 1/4 point to empty: ~3 gallon (drove 117 at 35 to 38 MPG)

A few questions:
why does the distance between 1/4 to empty shorter the 1/4 to mid
point? It seems common to different cars.
One time, I drove till my car is really out of gas (hesitates like no
gas going in engine, esp going up hills), I filled it up at the
fullest possible way. I added only 17.882. Camry is supposed to have
capacity of 18 Gallon. Why can't it reach 18? Is the fuel line not at
the bottom or some debris is taking up the space?

  Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2010, 02:49 pm   #2 (permalink)
ransley
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: How to read gas gauge of 1994 camry?

On Feb 15, 1:01*pm, cpliu <spamfree...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Is there a documentation on how much gas is left for each increments
> in the gas gauge of a 1994 Toyota Camry? This would be very helpful in
> estimating how long can my car can last before the need to add gas.
>
> From my rough estimate:
> When it reaches E (empty): 2 to 2.3 Gallon left; not all cars have
> that much left after warning signal is on.
> Between the middle point and the 1/4 point: a little less than 4
> Gallon (drove 140 miles at ~35 to 38 MPG)
> Between the 1/4 point to empty: ~3 gallon (drove 117 at 35 to 38 MPG)
>
> A few questions:
> why does the distance between 1/4 to empty shorter the 1/4 to mid
> point? It seems common to different cars.
> One time, I drove till my car is really out of gas (hesitates like no
> gas going in engine, esp going up hills), I filled it up at the
> fullest possible way. I added only 17.882. Camry is supposed to have
> capacity of 18 Gallon. Why can't it reach 18? Is the fuel line not at
> the bottom or some debris is taking up the space?


All gauges are different, Never run that low on gas, the bottom is
full of junk by now, you are lucky nothing more happened like clogging
the filter. You have .118 gal of rust in the tank.
  Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2010, 03:02 pm   #3 (permalink)
cpliu
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: How to read gas gauge of 1994 camry?

> All gauges are different, Never run that low on gas, the bottom is
I'm looking for data on my specific model: 1994 Toyota Camry. Is my
estimate in line with others with the same car?

> full of junk by now, you are lucky nothing more happened like clogging
> the filter. You have .118 gal of rust in the tank.- Hide quoted text -
>

Thanks for the advice. I didn't do it intentionally. I estimated it
wrong that day. That's one reason I'd like to read the gauge better.
  Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2010, 03:53 pm   #4 (permalink)
dsi1
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: How to read gas gauge of 1994 camry?

On 2/15/2010 9:01 AM, cpliu wrote:
> Is there a documentation on how much gas is left for each increments
> in the gas gauge of a 1994 Toyota Camry? This would be very helpful in
> estimating how long can my car can last before the need to add gas.
>
> From my rough estimate:
> When it reaches E (empty): 2 to 2.3 Gallon left; not all cars have
> that much left after warning signal is on.
> Between the middle point and the 1/4 point: a little less than 4
> Gallon (drove 140 miles at ~35 to 38 MPG)
> Between the 1/4 point to empty: ~3 gallon (drove 117 at 35 to 38 MPG)
>
> A few questions:
> why does the distance between 1/4 to empty shorter the 1/4 to mid
> point? It seems common to different cars.
> One time, I drove till my car is really out of gas (hesitates like no
> gas going in engine, esp going up hills), I filled it up at the
> fullest possible way. I added only 17.882. Camry is supposed to have
> capacity of 18 Gallon. Why can't it reach 18? Is the fuel line not at
> the bottom or some debris is taking up the space?
>


You want a gas gauge needle to move faster at the last quadrant. A
needle that meters gas at the same rate throughout it's range is harder
to read at the critical last few gallons.

17.882 gallons is 18 gallons in my book. However, it's likely that you
have a couple of cups of fuel still left in the tank, hence the missing
..118 gallons. BTW, don't ever run your tank that low - you're just
asking for trouble.
  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:00 pm.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.