Need more powerful trunk solenoid

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Sep 2012, 08:07 pm   #1 (permalink)
micky
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Need more powerful trunk solenoid, I think

Today I got far enough along installing a trunk solenoid in my 2000
Camry Solara convertible to test it.

It works except for that it's not strong enough to open the trunk.

The cable has to bend 90 degrees. It seems to move easily in its
sheath. Is there any point i oiling it?

Any suggestions for a stronger one, and one that has a long enough
stroke? Maybe 3/4" or 1".

Mine looks justy like this one
http://www.amazon.com/Megatronix-TRM...trunk+solenoid
which they rate at 15 pounds. So I suppose this one, rated at 35
pounds ought to be enough, but even for $60 including shipping, they
don't list the stroke. ;(
http://www.amazon.com/Megatronix-Sha...trunk+solenoid

And the picture doesn't show a cable coming out of it. Just a
separate little stiff wire thing that mine came with too. That won't
work for me becaues I have to turn the cable 90 degrees. Does it
really have a cable anyhow?


Right now, I'm using one from Directed Electronics, which sells for
about 25 dollars, and it worked fine for 9 years in my '95 Lebaron,
and maybe for a fwe years in my '88.

With the Lebaron, the cable didn't have to bend, but with this car, I
have to bend it 90^, with a radius of curvature of 6 inches or so .
The cable slid totally easily in the coiled housing, which I got from
an old 10-speed gear shifter. (the previous one wasn't long enough.
Is there any point to oiling it?

Thanks.

(Worth noting that the one now sold at JCWhitney (where I bought mine,
9 or 12 years ago, a different one from what they're selling now,)
comes with instructions that said it has a 1 1/4" stroke, but both
comments said it was only 3/8". That's definitely not enough. Rarely
are comments so spot on and at the same time applicable to me.)
  Reply With Quote
Old 20 Sep 2012, 08:56 am   #2 (permalink)
Vic Smith
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Need more powerful trunk solenoid, I think

On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 21:07:48 -0400, micky <NONONOmisc07@bigfoot.com>
wrote:

>Today I got far enough along installing a trunk solenoid in my 2000
>Camry Solara convertible to test it.
>


I didn't look hard because the convertible isn't common enough to show
google results, but it looks like the standard Solara has adjustable
trunk springs similar to my '97 Lumina.
The remote just unlatches it, and the springs "pop" it open.
Adding/subtracting a spoiler can require spring adjustment.
My son put a Monte Carlo tailpiece on the Lumina trunk lid when he
rehabbed the back years ago, and the trunk only popped open about 6"
with the springs adjusted full-strength. Even when fully opened a
gust of wind could bring it down on your head.
He recently put the standard Lumina markings on when he ran across
them at the boneyard. Now it pops fully open and stays there.
Anyway, you might look for springs to adjust and save some time.
Don't know for sure.


  Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2012, 01:03 am   #3 (permalink)
micky
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Need more powerful trunk solenoid, I think

On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 02:49:20 +0000 (UTC), gregz <zekor@comcast.net>
wrote:

>micky <NONONOmisc07@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>> Today I got far enough along installing a trunk solenoid in my 2000
>> Camry Solara convertible to test it.
>>
>> It works except for that it's not strong enough to open the trunk.
>>
>> The cable has to bend 90 degrees. It seems to move easily in its
>> sheath. Is there any point i oiling it?
>>
>> Any suggestions for a stronger one, and one that has a long enough
>> stroke? Maybe 3/4" or 1".
>>
>> Mine looks justy like this one
>> http://www.amazon.com/Megatronix-TRM...trunk+solenoid
>> which they rate at 15 pounds. So I suppose this one, rated at 35
>> pounds ought to be enough, but even for $60 including shipping, they
>> don't list the stroke. ;(
>> http://www.amazon.com/Megatronix-Sha...trunk+solenoid
>>
>> And the picture doesn't show a cable coming out of it. Just a
>> separate little stiff wire thing that mine came with too. That won't
>> work for me becaues I have to turn the cable 90 degrees. Does it
>> really have a cable anyhow?
>>
>>
>> Right now, I'm using one from Directed Electronics, which sells for
>> about 25 dollars, and it worked fine for 9 years in my '95 Lebaron,
>> and maybe for a fwe years in my '88.
>>
>> With the Lebaron, the cable didn't have to bend, but with this car, I
>> have to bend it 90^, with a radius of curvature of 6 inches or so .
>> The cable slid totally easily in the coiled housing, which I got from
>> an old 10-speed gear shifter. (the previous one wasn't long enough.
>> Is there any point to oiling it?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> (Worth noting that the one now sold at JCWhitney (where I bought mine,
>> 9 or 12 years ago, a different one from what they're selling now,)
>> comes with instructions that said it has a 1 1/4" stroke, but both
>> comments said it was only 3/8". That's definitely not enough. Rarely
>> are comments so spot on and at the same time applicable to me.)

>
>All those wires, crimps, fuses, prevent full current. Make sure they are
>all good, and thick enough wire.


P&M because it's been a whole week since you posted.

Thanks. I've been busy but I wiill do that.

I decided to call a stereo/alarm store locally to see how much they
watned for a bigger solenoid, where I could see how big the thing was
and if it had a cable before I bought it. She she transferred me to
a technical guy who asked questions, showed little or no interest in
selling me anything, and said

a) it's very bad if the cable has to bend. So I have to test it with
the cable straight. This means I won't be able to hide the solenoid
under the black liner, where the trunk lid bends, but that's not so
bad if people can see the solenoid when the trunk is open. No one
looks anyhow, exce[pt me. (The 35-pound solenoid is a lot bigger
than what i have and might not be hideable either.)

b) I should leave slack in the cable, so the think on the end that
pulls the latch gets a "running start". If it butts up against the
latch, it likely won't work. That's a problem because I checked and
the current solenoid only has a half inch of travel, which is about
how far the latch has to be moved, so there's no spare for slack.
Maybe I will have to buy a bigger one, but first I will do what a)
requires.



>
>Greg


  Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2012, 01:12 am   #4 (permalink)
micky
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Need more powerful trunk solenoid, I think

On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 08:56:21 -0500, Vic Smith
<thismailautodeleted@comcast.net> wrote:

>On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 21:07:48 -0400, micky <NONONOmisc07@bigfoot.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Today I got far enough along installing a trunk solenoid in my 2000
>>Camry Solara convertible to test it.
>>

>
>I didn't look hard because the convertible isn't common enough to show
>google results, but it looks like the standard Solara has adjustable
>trunk springs similar to my '97 Lumina.
>The remote just unlatches it, and the springs "pop" it open.
>Adding/subtracting a spoiler can require spring adjustment.


No change planned there. I did check if the weight of the solenoid
made the turnk lid fall down and it didn't. Later I think I read in
their owners or shop manual something about some named weight not
affecting balance.

>My son put a Monte Carlo tailpiece on the Lumina trunk lid when he
>rehabbed the back years ago, and the trunk only popped open about 6"
>with the springs adjusted full-strength. Even when fully opened a
>gust of wind could bring it down on your head.
>He recently put the standard Lumina markings on when he ran across
>them at the boneyard. Now it pops fully open and stays there.
>Anyway, you might look for springs to adjust and save some time.
>Don't know for sure.


Well, actualy my previous car, a Lebaron, didnt' move at all when the
remote or the key unlatched the trunk. I sort of liked that. I
coudl put the lid down without locking it and no one noticed it wasnt'
locked. When I had to replace a support strut, I only did one, so it
wouldn't go up when unlocked.

This car maybe the turnk lid moves a tenth of an inch. When it's
sitting there, I don't think anyone would notice that it's open.
That's especially important because in 2000, since there was only a
mechanical turnk release, there is no spare channel on the remote,
and I'll be connecting the trunk solenoid to a relay that is connected
to the right door unlock wire. So every time I unlock the right hand
door, except maybe when I use the lever inside the car it will unlock
and unlatch the trunk. So it's good that it doesn't pop up. I
thought about getting a newerr remote receiver and some 4-button
remotes, but I didnt' find any receivers in junk yards and new it
would be a lot of money.

Thanks,

Micky
>


  Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2012, 10:42 pm   #5 (permalink)
clare@snyder.on.ca
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Need more powerful trunk solenoid

On Fri, 28 Sep 2012 02:12:18 -0400, micky <NONONOmisc07@bigfoot.com>
wrote:

>On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 08:56:21 -0500, Vic Smith
><thismailautodeleted@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 21:07:48 -0400, micky <NONONOmisc07@bigfoot.com>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Today I got far enough along installing a trunk solenoid in my 2000
>>>Camry Solara convertible to test it.
>>>

>>
>>I didn't look hard because the convertible isn't common enough to show
>>google results, but it looks like the standard Solara has adjustable
>>trunk springs similar to my '97 Lumina.
>>The remote just unlatches it, and the springs "pop" it open.
>>Adding/subtracting a spoiler can require spring adjustment.

>
>No change planned there. I did check if the weight of the solenoid
>made the turnk lid fall down and it didn't. Later I think I read in
>their owners or shop manual something about some named weight not
>affecting balance.
>
>>My son put a Monte Carlo tailpiece on the Lumina trunk lid when he
>>rehabbed the back years ago, and the trunk only popped open about 6"
>>with the springs adjusted full-strength. Even when fully opened a
>>gust of wind could bring it down on your head.
>>He recently put the standard Lumina markings on when he ran across
>>them at the boneyard. Now it pops fully open and stays there.
>>Anyway, you might look for springs to adjust and save some time.
>>Don't know for sure.

>
>Well, actualy my previous car, a Lebaron, didnt' move at all when the
>remote or the key unlatched the trunk. I sort of liked that. I
>coudl put the lid down without locking it and no one noticed it wasnt'
>locked. When I had to replace a support strut, I only did one, so it
>wouldn't go up when unlocked.
>
>This car maybe the turnk lid moves a tenth of an inch. When it's
>sitting there, I don't think anyone would notice that it's open.
>That's especially important because in 2000, since there was only a
>mechanical turnk release, there is no spare channel on the remote,
>and I'll be connecting the trunk solenoid to a relay that is connected
>to the right door unlock wire. So every time I unlock the right hand
>door, except maybe when I use the lever inside the car it will unlock
>and unlatch the trunk. So it's good that it doesn't pop up. I
>thought about getting a newerr remote receiver and some 4-button
>remotes, but I didnt' find any receivers in junk yards and new it
>would be a lot of money.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Micky
>>

Just add a second receiver and use a separate remote for the trunk
  Reply With Quote
Old 03 Oct 2012, 11:00 pm   #6 (permalink)
micky
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Need more powerful trunk solenoid, I think

On Fri, 28 Sep 2012 23:42:04 -0400, clare@snyder.on.ca wrote:

>On Fri, 28 Sep 2012 02:12:18 -0400, micky <NONONOmisc07@bigfoot.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 08:56:21 -0500, Vic Smith
>><thismailautodeleted@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>>On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 21:07:48 -0400, micky <NONONOmisc07@bigfoot.com>
>>>wrote:
>>>
>>>>Today I got far enough along installing a trunk solenoid in my 2000
>>>>Camry Solara convertible to test it.
>>>>
>>>
>>>I didn't look hard because the convertible isn't common enough to show
>>>google results, but it looks like the standard Solara has adjustable
>>>trunk springs similar to my '97 Lumina.
>>>The remote just unlatches it, and the springs "pop" it open.
>>>Adding/subtracting a spoiler can require spring adjustment.

>>
>>No change planned there. I did check if the weight of the solenoid
>>made the turnk lid fall down and it didn't. Later I think I read in
>>their owners or shop manual something about some named weight not
>>affecting balance.
>>
>>>My son put a Monte Carlo tailpiece on the Lumina trunk lid when he
>>>rehabbed the back years ago, and the trunk only popped open about 6"
>>>with the springs adjusted full-strength. Even when fully opened a
>>>gust of wind could bring it down on your head.
>>>He recently put the standard Lumina markings on when he ran across
>>>them at the boneyard. Now it pops fully open and stays there.
>>>Anyway, you might look for springs to adjust and save some time.
>>>Don't know for sure.

>>
>>Well, actualy my previous car, a Lebaron, didnt' move at all when the
>>remote or the key unlatched the trunk. I sort of liked that. I
>>coudl put the lid down without locking it and no one noticed it wasnt'
>>locked. When I had to replace a support strut, I only did one, so it
>>wouldn't go up when unlocked.
>>
>>This car maybe the turnk lid moves a tenth of an inch. When it's
>>sitting there, I don't think anyone would notice that it's open.
>>That's especially important because in 2000, since there was only a
>>mechanical turnk release, there is no spare channel on the remote,
>>and I'll be connecting the trunk solenoid to a relay that is connected
>>to the right door unlock wire. So every time I unlock the right hand
>>door, except maybe when I use the lever inside the car it will unlock
>>and unlatch the trunk. So it's good that it doesn't pop up. I
>>thought about getting a newerr remote receiver and some 4-button
>>remotes, but I didnt' find any receivers in junk yards and new it
>>would be a lot of money.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Micky
>>>

>Just add a second receiver and use a separate remote for the trunk


That is so un-chic, but you make a good point.
  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:59 am.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.