97 Camry rear bumper removal help

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Oct 2003, 08:29 pm   #1 (permalink)
Vijay S. Bajwa
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default 97 Camry rear bumper removal help

Backed into a telephone pole, squished the corner.
New bumper is quite cheap, if only I knew how
to take it off. Ofcourse, then there's the painting
and clear coat. Any pointers in taking it off would
be greatly appreciated!

Vijay


  Reply With Quote
Old 08 Oct 2003, 11:15 pm   #2 (permalink)
AV
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 97 Camry rear bumper removal help

PAINT the bumper before putting it on

"Vijay S. Bajwa" <vbajwa@optonline.net> wrote in message
news:eS2hb.15975$Ri4.5373015@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.n et...
> Backed into a telephone pole, squished the corner.
> New bumper is quite cheap, if only I knew how
> to take it off. Ofcourse, then there's the painting
> and clear coat. Any pointers in taking it off would
> be greatly appreciated!
>
> Vijay
>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 09 Oct 2003, 08:25 am   #3 (permalink)
Daniel M. Dreifus
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 97 Camry rear bumper removal help

"Vijay S. Bajwa" <vbajwa@optonline.net> wrote in message news:<eS2hb.15975$Ri4.5373015@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv. net>...
Any pointers in taking it off would
> be greatly appreciated!
>

Haynes Manual for Gen. 3 (1992-1996) is available for around $20 or
less and shows an "exploded" view diagram of the rear bumper including
fasteners.
While yours is a 1997, they've got to be very similar.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09 Oct 2003, 09:22 am   #4 (permalink)
John M. Darnielle
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 97 Camry rear bumper removal help

"Daniel M. Dreifus" <nospampls2002@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:c5ef7dc0.0310090525.1e467c34@posting.google.c om...
> "Vijay S. Bajwa" <vbajwa@optonline.net> wrote in message

news:<eS2hb.15975$Ri4.5373015@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv. net>...
> Any pointers in taking it off would
> > be greatly appreciated!
> >

> Haynes Manual for Gen. 3 (1992-1996) is available for around $20 or
> less and shows an "exploded" view diagram of the rear bumper including
> fasteners.
> While yours is a 1997, they've got to be very similar.


Actually, the Haynes generation four manual is out now, covering 1997 thru
1999. It says:

1. Working under the vehicle, detach the plastic clips and screws securing
the lower edge of the bumper cover.

2. Remove the nuts securing the bumper cover in each corner of the trunk
interior.

3. Open the trunk lid and remove the clips or pins securing the upper edge
of the bumper cover. Pull the bumper cover out and away from the vehicle.

John M. Darnielle
Remove anti spam phrase from reply address to e-mail me.


  Reply With Quote
Old 09 Oct 2003, 01:00 pm   #5 (permalink)
Vijay S. Bajwa
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 97 Camry rear bumper removal help

"John M. Darnielle" <jmd@pcisys.I.hate.spam.net> wrote in message news:<voaromllft9334@corp.supernews.com>...
> "Daniel M. Dreifus" <nospampls2002@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:c5ef7dc0.0310090525.1e467c34@posting.google.c om...
> > "Vijay S. Bajwa" <vbajwa@optonline.net> wrote in message

> news:<eS2hb.15975$Ri4.5373015@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv. net>...
> > Any pointers in taking it off would
> > > be greatly appreciated!
> > >

> > Haynes Manual for Gen. 3 (1992-1996) is available for around $20 or
> > less and shows an "exploded" view diagram of the rear bumper including
> > fasteners.
> > While yours is a 1997, they've got to be very similar.

>
> Actually, the Haynes generation four manual is out now, covering 1997 thru
> 1999. It says:
>
> 1. Working under the vehicle, detach the plastic clips and screws securing
> the lower edge of the bumper cover.
>
> 2. Remove the nuts securing the bumper cover in each corner of the trunk
> interior.
>
> 3. Open the trunk lid and remove the clips or pins securing the upper edge
> of the bumper cover. Pull the bumper cover out and away from the vehicle.


Thanks! I will post my experiences
  Reply With Quote
Old 09 Oct 2003, 10:32 pm   #6 (permalink)
Pakgeorge
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 97 Camry rear bumper removal help

If you carefully heat the inside of the plastic bumper it shoud pop put
rather easily.
geo
  Reply With Quote
Old 13 Oct 2003, 12:55 pm   #7 (permalink)
Vijay S. Bajwa
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 97 Camry rear bumper removal help

OK, I successfully removed the rear bumper, popped out the dent
in the corner (from backing into a telephone pole) and
re-installed it w/o incident. There are
a) two bolts on the outside, below the trunk door
(one on each end)
b) a row of clips on the top of bumber, below the trunk
You pry open the inside screw, the groumet pops out
c) unscrew 3 clips each on inside black panel behind tail
light and slide the panel out. Repeat for the other side.
This reveals 3 bolts in the tool wells. Open these.
d) get under the car and unfasten 3 clips holding down the
under side of bumper. These are similar to clips in step 'c'
only these are bigger. You should be easily able to unscrew
the inside screws, and pop out the anchors, but mine just
kept on turning. I pried out the clips, and carefully cut
them with a knife. I need to replace these now.

Took the bumper cover out, popped out the dent, fixed a ripped seam
with bumper epoxy and hardner and fibre gauze. Cleaned out the bumper
parts and installed it right back. The dented corner didn't restore
to original shape, but for spending nothing on it, pretty darned good!
Better than the $600 estimate, and an outrageous $900 one (including
blending in the paint with the quarter panels)!

Thanks for all your help!
vbajwa@optonline.net (Vijay S. Bajwa) wrote in message news:<e803b554.0310091000.25d54b59@posting.google. com>...
> "John M. Darnielle" <jmd@pcisys.I.hate.spam.net> wrote in message news:<voaromllft9334@corp.supernews.com>...
> > "Daniel M. Dreifus" <nospampls2002@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > news:c5ef7dc0.0310090525.1e467c34@posting.google.c om...
> > > "Vijay S. Bajwa" <vbajwa@optonline.net> wrote in message

> news:<eS2hb.15975$Ri4.5373015@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv. net>...
> > > Any pointers in taking it off would
> > > > be greatly appreciated!
> > > >
> > > Haynes Manual for Gen. 3 (1992-1996) is available for around $20 or
> > > less and shows an "exploded" view diagram of the rear bumper including
> > > fasteners.
> > > While yours is a 1997, they've got to be very similar.

> >
> > Actually, the Haynes generation four manual is out now, covering 1997 thru
> > 1999. It says:
> >
> > 1. Working under the vehicle, detach the plastic clips and screws securing
> > the lower edge of the bumper cover.
> >
> > 2. Remove the nuts securing the bumper cover in each corner of the trunk
> > interior.
> >
> > 3. Open the trunk lid and remove the clips or pins securing the upper edge
> > of the bumper cover. Pull the bumper cover out and away from the vehicle.

>
> Thanks! I will post my experiences

  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:25 am.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.