HELP

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Oct 2003, 11:16 am   #1 (permalink)
Sanjay Kumar
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default HELP

I have a 94 camry with 108k on it. Suddenly is stopped working. I
took to a service center and found out that engine has ceased !
They are asking around $5700 to fix it with a new engine. Thats bloody
too much to spend for 94 camry.
Whats is my best options ?

1. Can I rebuild the engine ?
2. Get used one ?
3. junk the car/ try to sell it (who will buy it?)

thanx in advance.
  Reply With Quote
Old 14 Oct 2003, 02:46 pm   #2 (permalink)
Jason James
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: HELP


"Sanjay Kumar" <nd81@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:99793c86.0310140816.25c817fc@posting.google.c om...
> I have a 94 camry with 108k on it. Suddenly is stopped working. I
> took to a service center and found out that engine has ceased !
> They are asking around $5700 to fix it with a new engine. Thats bloody
> too much to spend for 94 camry.
> Whats is my best options ?


Sanjay,

> 1. Can I rebuild the engine ?


No, not unless you have considerable mechanical ability.


> 2. Get used one ?


Yes, as long as they guarentee it is in serviceable order and has no
'problems' such as cooling, low oil pressure or oil consumption. A check
inside the oil adding hoe in the cam-cover should reveal little or no
sludge.

> 3. junk the car/ try to sell it (who will buy it?)


If you are in the States, this option may well be worth considering,
else-where probably not unless you can take the financial loss.

The thing is, the engine failed for a reason. Fid out why and if it was due
to lack of oil changes or low on coolant, learn how to address these
situations. If and when you fit anotheror repair your existing motor, you
should service the car regularly with respect to oil/filter changes and
coolant changes/topping up.

> thanx in advance.


Jason


  Reply With Quote
Old 14 Oct 2003, 03:18 pm   #3 (permalink)
Sanjay
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: HELP

Thanks for the reply.

I asked the mechanic and he said that my engine was running on low oil. I
have been regularly changing oil once in
3 months from jiffy lube.(no oil leak was present). I was shocked with this
news. The car would usually give some warning (like lights on the
dashboard), but nothing of such sort happened. Suddenly the car went dead on
me. It would start, but when I
pressed the gas peddle the engine would go dead :-(

Also one of my friends has offered me to replace the engine for $3000, that
too a new one. Is this good a offer ?
With a new one, atleast I have the warranty.

If I where to sell the car..how much should I get ? I know almost nobody
would buy it ! I'm in Colorado.



"Jason James" <flyhi@byplane.com> wrote in message
news:toYib.150959$bo1.126418@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
>
> "Sanjay Kumar" <nd81@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:99793c86.0310140816.25c817fc@posting.google.c om...
> > I have a 94 camry with 108k on it. Suddenly is stopped working. I
> > took to a service center and found out that engine has ceased !
> > They are asking around $5700 to fix it with a new engine. Thats bloody
> > too much to spend for 94 camry.
> > Whats is my best options ?

>
> Sanjay,
>
> > 1. Can I rebuild the engine ?

>
> No, not unless you have considerable mechanical ability.
>
>
> > 2. Get used one ?

>
> Yes, as long as they guarentee it is in serviceable order and has no
> 'problems' such as cooling, low oil pressure or oil consumption. A check
> inside the oil adding hoe in the cam-cover should reveal little or no
> sludge.
>
> > 3. junk the car/ try to sell it (who will buy it?)

>
> If you are in the States, this option may well be worth considering,
> else-where probably not unless you can take the financial loss.
>
> The thing is, the engine failed for a reason. Fid out why and if it was

due
> to lack of oil changes or low on coolant, learn how to address these
> situations. If and when you fit anotheror repair your existing motor, you
> should service the car regularly with respect to oil/filter changes and
> coolant changes/topping up.
>
> > thanx in advance.

>
> Jason
>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 14 Oct 2003, 08:28 pm   #4 (permalink)
Wolfgang
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: HELP

Sure doesn't sound like a result of running with low qty of
oil. Low oil/low oil pressure would result in premature
bearings and ring wear giving low compression, internal
rattling of engine and blue smoke out the tail pipe. With
worn rings you'd experiece less power but not overnight.
Sounds more like a bad fuel pump, cloughed fuel filter,
dirty injectors or a very bad tank of gas (water and crud in
it). A Camry engine is good for 2 times that mileage with
minimal care. Oil gelling (sludge) was a problem mainly on
the 4 & V6 in 97-01 --- it caused oil not to drain properly
back into sump and would destroy the engine (rattling
bearing on start up and accelleration). Don't think it
applies to the 94 model at all but if you can produce
receipt that did resonable oil changes (Jiffy Lube should be
able to print off your record perhaps) then it is possible
that Toyota will repair the problem. Have you check with
the Toyota dealer and gotten their diagnostics of the
problem??? Unless you really abused the engine it should
have another 100k left to go. $3k is probably for a used
engine installed - or maybe a short block. As it is now
you'd be lucky to get $1k -- book value is probably $4500.


  Reply With Quote
Old 15 Oct 2003, 02:37 am   #5 (permalink)
Jason James
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: HELP


"Sanjay" <nd81@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:BSYib.7024$_M2.6892@news.cpqcorp.net...
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> I asked the mechanic and he said that my engine was running on low oil. I
> have been regularly changing oil once in


Engines can, when in a worn condition or has oil leak conditions, use
considerable amounts of oil between changes. Sometimes, daily checking of
the oil level is required in some engines with topping up.

> 3 months from jiffy lube.(no oil leak was present). I was shocked with

this
> news.


If there are no leaks, the engine must be burning the oil through wear.

The car would usually give some warning (like lights on the
> dashboard), but nothing of such sort happened. Suddenly the car went dead

on
> me. It would start, but when I
> pressed the gas peddle the engine would go dead :-(


Normally. once the oil level has dropped to a critical level, the
oil-pressure light blinks on and off as the car goes around corners and
such, then it will come on and stay on. In this event, engine destruction is
asured unless you stop and add oil.


> Also one of my friends has offered me to replace the engine for $3000,

that
> too a new one. Is this good a offer ?
> With a new one, atleast I have the warranty.


In the US this maybe a good price, best for other posters to comment.


> If I where to sell the car..how much should I get ? I know almost nobody
> would buy it ! I'm in Colorado.


Not much without a serviceable engine, perhaps a $1000.

Jason





  Reply With Quote
Old 15 Oct 2003, 08:46 am   #6 (permalink)
Daniel M. Dreifus
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: HELP

nd81@hotmail.com (Sanjay Kumar) wrote in message news:<99793c86.0310140816.25c817fc@posting.google. com>...
> I have a 94 camry with 108k on it. Suddenly is stopped working. I
> took to a service center and found out that engine has ceased !
> They are asking around $5700 to fix it with a new engine.


Get a second opinion. Get a second opinion from another mechanic.
I once had a mechanic tell me I needed a new engine, when I later
discovered that it was a problem where the muffler collapsed
internally.

A friend recently drove her 1994 V-6 Camry on the highway where the
car overheated and required a new engine. She paid her mechanic $3,000
for a new V6 engine. She knows nothing about cars, so may have just
been the head. I don't know the details, but for that kind of money,
definitely get a second opinion.

If you want specific comments from this group, try to provide specific
information from the mechanic. For that year Camry, with 3,000 mile
oil changes, the engine should be in excellent condition.
  Reply With Quote
Old 16 Oct 2003, 09:53 am   #7 (permalink)
Jason James
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: HELP


"Wolfgang" <spamxseitzg@cox.net> wrote in message
news:6p1jb.88538$k74.67031@lakeread05...
> Sure doesn't sound like a result of running with low qty of
> oil. Low oil/low oil pressure would result in premature
> bearings and ring wear giving low compression, internal
> rattling of engine and blue smoke out the tail pipe. With
> worn rings you'd experiece less power but not overnight.
> Sounds more like a bad fuel pump, cloughed fuel filter,
> dirty injectors or a very bad tank of gas (water and crud in
> it). A Camry engine is good for 2 times that mileage with
> minimal care. Oil gelling (sludge) was a problem mainly on
> the 4 & V6 in 97-01 --- it caused oil not to drain properly
> back into sump and would destroy the engine (rattling
> bearing on start up and accelleration). Don't think it
> applies to the 94 model at all but if you can produce
> receipt that did resonable oil changes (Jiffy Lube should be
> able to print off your record perhaps) then it is possible
> that Toyota will repair the problem. Have you check with
> the Toyota dealer and gotten their diagnostics of the
> problem??? Unless you really abused the engine it should
> have another 100k left to go. $3k is probably for a used
> engine installed - or maybe a short block. As it is now
> you'd be lucky to get $1k -- book value is probably $4500.


He said he took it to a 'service cente' and they said it was siezed. Now he
spelt it 'ceased' which can also be construed as dead, but I think he meant
the former ie locked solid due lack of oil.

Is that what you meant Sanjay?

Jason


  Reply With Quote
Old 16 Oct 2003, 10:11 am   #8 (permalink)
Philip
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: HELP

In news:99793c86.0310140816.25c817fc@posting.google.c om,
Sanjay Kumar <nd81@hotmail.com> being of bellicose mind posted:
> I have a 94 camry with 108k on it. Suddenly is stopped working. I
> took to a service center and found out that engine has ceased !
> They are asking around $5700 to fix it with a new engine. Thats
> bloody too much to spend for 94 camry.
> Whats is my best options ?
>
> 1. Can I rebuild the engine ?
> 2. Get used one ?
> 3. junk the car/ try to sell it (who will buy it?)
>
> thanx in advance.


The engine is seized. Let's assume the typical reason for the
seizure is insufficient oil delivery due to a clogged oil pump pickup
screen. The typical cause for such a condition is insufficient oil
changes for the conditions the car was subjected to for quite a few
miles (excess of 20k at least).

You can take any of the three exit strategies you have listed above.
At the level of damage you have suggested, a used motor from an
automotive salvage yard is probably the lowest cost remedy. If the
used engine you buy is still in the car, have them start it up and
also, have them pull a valve cover to inspect for sludge
accumulation. You certainly do not want to buy another engine that
has had a poor maintenance experience.
--

~~Philip "Never let school interfere
with your education - Mark Twain"




  Reply With Quote
Old 16 Oct 2003, 11:55 am   #9 (permalink)
Sanjay
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: HELP


"Philip " <1chip-state1@earthlink.net.invalid> wrote in message
newsyyjb.3034$s93.1271@newsread3.news.pas.earthl ink.net...
> In news:99793c86.0310140816.25c817fc@posting.google.c om,
> Sanjay Kumar <nd81@hotmail.com> being of bellicose mind posted:
> > I have a 94 camry with 108k on it. Suddenly is stopped working. I
> > took to a service center and found out that engine has ceased !
> > They are asking around $5700 to fix it with a new engine. Thats
> > bloody too much to spend for 94 camry.
> > Whats is my best options ?
> >
> > 1. Can I rebuild the engine ?
> > 2. Get used one ?
> > 3. junk the car/ try to sell it (who will buy it?)
> >
> > thanx in advance.

>
> The engine is seized. Let's assume the typical reason for the
> seizure is insufficient oil delivery due to a clogged oil pump pickup
> screen. The typical cause for such a condition is insufficient oil
> changes for the conditions the car was subjected to for quite a few
> miles (excess of 20k at least).
>
> You can take any of the three exit strategies you have listed above.
> At the level of damage you have suggested, a used motor from an
> automotive salvage yard is probably the lowest cost remedy. If the
> used engine you buy is still in the car, have them start it up and
> also, have them pull a valve cover to inspect for sludge
> accumulation. You certainly do not want to buy another engine that
> has had a poor maintenance experience.
> --
>
> ~~Philip "Never let school interfere
> with your education - Mark Twain"
>


>
>
>


I found out that is very expensive to replace the engine. $3000 plus is the
price.
I do not like the idea of putting a used engine. I'm told that the used
engine may
have its set of problem. I could end up spending more money on the new used
engine !
How do I find out - whats the worth for my car ? $500 or something. Is there
any place where
I can get such information.


  Reply With Quote
Old 16 Oct 2003, 12:45 pm   #10 (permalink)
Jason James
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: HELP


"Sanjay" <nd81@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:q4Ajb.7174$Lw4.1531@news.cpqcorp.net...
>
> "Philip " <1chip-state1@earthlink.net.invalid> wrote in message
> newsyyjb.3034$s93.1271@newsread3.news.pas.earthl ink.net...
> > In news:99793c86.0310140816.25c817fc@posting.google.c om,
> > Sanjay Kumar <nd81@hotmail.com> being of bellicose mind posted:
> > > I have a 94 camry with 108k on it. Suddenly is stopped working. I
> > > took to a service center and found out that engine has ceased !
> > > They are asking around $5700 to fix it with a new engine. Thats
> > > bloody too much to spend for 94 camry.
> > > Whats is my best options ?
> > >
> > > 1. Can I rebuild the engine ?
> > > 2. Get used one ?
> > > 3. junk the car/ try to sell it (who will buy it?)
> > >
> > > thanx in advance.

> >
> > The engine is seized. Let's assume the typical reason for the
> > seizure is insufficient oil delivery due to a clogged oil pump pickup
> > screen. The typical cause for such a condition is insufficient oil
> > changes for the conditions the car was subjected to for quite a few
> > miles (excess of 20k at least).
> >
> > You can take any of the three exit strategies you have listed above.
> > At the level of damage you have suggested, a used motor from an
> > automotive salvage yard is probably the lowest cost remedy. If the
> > used engine you buy is still in the car, have them start it up and
> > also, have them pull a valve cover to inspect for sludge
> > accumulation. You certainly do not want to buy another engine that
> > has had a poor maintenance experience.
> > --
> >
> > ~~Philip "Never let school interfere
> > with your education - Mark Twain"
> >

>
> >
> >
> >

>
> I found out that is very expensive to replace the engine. $3000 plus is

the
> price.
> I do not like the idea of putting a used engine. I'm told that the used
> engine may
> have its set of problem. I could end up spending more money on the new

used
> engine !
> How do I find out - whats the worth for my car ? $500 or something. Is

there
> any place where
> I can get such information.


Get the seller of the used engine to run it for you so that you or some-one
experienced can assess the thing before buying.

I once bought a used Dodge engine which could still be run even tho the car
it was in was wrecked,..they are around, just shop for them.

Jason


  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:42 am.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.