Camry tire consensus?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Oct 2003, 09:08 pm   #1 (permalink)
Anthony Giorgianni
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Camry tire consensus?

Hello All

Checking out the history of posts to these Toyota groups in Google, I don't
any consensus on tire recommendations for the Camry - my father needs to
change the tires on his 2000 year model. Is this right or IS there a
consensus on which tires are best year-round? Or should I just go through
the individual recommendations and wing it?

Thanks.


--
Regards,
Anthony Giorgianni

The return address for this post is fictitious. Please reply by posting back
to the newsgroup.



  Reply With Quote
Old 14 Oct 2003, 10:08 pm   #2 (permalink)
Car Guy
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Camry tire consensus?

My recommendations for a decent all season tire would be the Michelin
Harmony
(http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....eModel=Harmony
). They would be good in snow to an extent. If you want utmost comfort, go
with the Yokohama Avid Touring
(http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....eModel=Avid+To
uring) or the Michelin X One
(http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ireModel=X-One)





"Anthony Giorgianni" <pleasepostbacktothetgroup@postbacktogroup.invalid >
wrote in message
news:M_1jb.1884$Ec1.142272@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> Hello All
>
> Checking out the history of posts to these Toyota groups in Google, I

don't
> any consensus on tire recommendations for the Camry - my father needs to
> change the tires on his 2000 year model. Is this right or IS there a
> consensus on which tires are best year-round? Or should I just go through
> the individual recommendations and wing it?
>
> Thanks.
>
>
> --
> Regards,
> Anthony Giorgianni
>
> The return address for this post is fictitious. Please reply by posting

back
> to the newsgroup.
>
>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 15 Oct 2003, 05:51 am   #3 (permalink)
ma_twain
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Camry tire consensus?

There are many "good" tires fopr a 2000 Camry. I had a 2000 V6 Camry
and the factory Dunlop SP4000s were worthless in the rain. I wanted to
use the Dunlop Sport A2, but they were not available, so I put on a Toyo
with good wet and dry road results. The Dunlop Sport A2 have been
criticized for short tread life. I can't say anything about the Toyo
because my car was totaled by a falling tree shortly after putting on
the new tires.

With that said, the "best" tire for your father would depend on how he
drives and where he drives. Since it is a Camry, I would assume it is
not being driven in a "fast, aggressive, sporty" mode, so just about any
good tire would do - so cost and tire life would be important. I would
go with the recommended Michelins. If he must drive in the snow, I
would get separate rims with Michelin Artic Alpins.

Car Guy wrote:

> My recommendations for a decent all season tire would be the Michelin
> Harmony
> (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....eModel=Harmony
> ). They would be good in snow to an extent. If you want utmost comfort, go
> with the Yokohama Avid Touring
> (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....eModel=Avid+To
> uring) or the Michelin X One
> (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ireModel=X-One)
>
>
>
>
>
> "Anthony Giorgianni" <pleasepostbacktothetgroup@postbacktogroup.invalid >
> wrote in message
> news:M_1jb.1884$Ec1.142272@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
>
>>Hello All
>>
>>Checking out the history of posts to these Toyota groups in Google, I
>>

> don't
>
>>any consensus on tire recommendations for the Camry - my father needs to
>>change the tires on his 2000 year model. Is this right or IS there a
>>consensus on which tires are best year-round? Or should I just go through
>>the individual recommendations and wing it?
>>
>>Thanks.
>>
>>
>>--
>>Regards,
>>Anthony Giorgianni
>>
>>The return address for this post is fictitious. Please reply by posting
>>

> back
>
>>to the newsgroup.
>>
>>
>>
>>

>
>


  Reply With Quote
Old 15 Oct 2003, 06:09 am   #4 (permalink)
Car Guy
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Camry tire consensus?

On my 2002 Camry LE V6, I use a dedicated set of winter tires like Nokian
Hakka 1's (http://www.nokiantyres.com/nokian_ha...itta_1_en.html) on
steel rims with wheel covers. They are great in snow, slush and ice in
Toronto, Canada and the Snow Belt Regions.

"ma_twain" <ma_twain@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:3F8D26B1.3040505@yahoo.com...
> There are many "good" tires fopr a 2000 Camry. I had a 2000 V6 Camry
> and the factory Dunlop SP4000s were worthless in the rain. I wanted to
> use the Dunlop Sport A2, but they were not available, so I put on a Toyo
> with good wet and dry road results. The Dunlop Sport A2 have been
> criticized for short tread life. I can't say anything about the Toyo
> because my car was totaled by a falling tree shortly after putting on
> the new tires.
>
> With that said, the "best" tire for your father would depend on how he
> drives and where he drives. Since it is a Camry, I would assume it is
> not being driven in a "fast, aggressive, sporty" mode, so just about any
> good tire would do - so cost and tire life would be important. I would
> go with the recommended Michelins. If he must drive in the snow, I
> would get separate rims with Michelin Artic Alpins.
>
> Car Guy wrote:
>
> > My recommendations for a decent all season tire would be the Michelin
> > Harmony
> >

(http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....eModel=Harmony
> > ). They would be good in snow to an extent. If you want utmost

comfort, go
> > with the Yokohama Avid Touring
> >

(http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....eModel=Avid+To
> > uring) or the Michelin X One
> >

(http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ireModel=X-One)
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > "Anthony Giorgianni" <pleasepostbacktothetgroup@postbacktogroup.invalid >
> > wrote in message
> > news:M_1jb.1884$Ec1.142272@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> >
> >>Hello All
> >>
> >>Checking out the history of posts to these Toyota groups in Google, I
> >>

> > don't
> >
> >>any consensus on tire recommendations for the Camry - my father needs to
> >>change the tires on his 2000 year model. Is this right or IS there a
> >>consensus on which tires are best year-round? Or should I just go

through
> >>the individual recommendations and wing it?
> >>
> >>Thanks.
> >>
> >>
> >>--
> >>Regards,
> >>Anthony Giorgianni
> >>
> >>The return address for this post is fictitious. Please reply by posting
> >>

> > back
> >
> >>to the newsgroup.
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>

> >
> >

>



  Reply With Quote
Old 15 Oct 2003, 01:32 pm   #5 (permalink)
Glenn Pooler
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Camry tire consensus?

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 02:08:44 GMT, "Anthony Giorgianni"
<pleasepostbacktothetgroup@postbacktogroup.invalid > wrote:

>Hello All
>
>Checking out the history of posts to these Toyota groups in Google, I don't
>any consensus on tire recommendations for the Camry - my father needs to
>change the tires on his 2000 year model. Is this right or IS there a
>consensus on which tires are best year-round? Or should I just go through
>the individual recommendations and wing it?
>
>Thanks.


It's hard to believe that he doesn't subscribe to Consumer
Reports, so suggest to him that he visit the library. The
November, 2003 tire article may be sufficient or he may need to
scan past issues.

I don't know anyone here who uses winter tires as the road crews
do an excellent job; however, areas where there are lake effect
storms may need them.

Glenn.Pooler@att.net
Rochester Minnesota USA
  Reply With Quote
Old 15 Oct 2003, 05:08 pm   #6 (permalink)
steve
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Camry tire consensus?

you can subscribe to consumer reports online. about $20 / year.
"Glenn Pooler" <glenn.pooler@att.net> wrote in message
news:mk4rovsv4s2nrc7tl7mvqvmbf7jj9d8h83@4ax.com...
On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 02:08:44 GMT, "Anthony Giorgianni"
<pleasepostbacktothetgroup@postbacktogroup.invalid > wrote:

>Hello All
>
>Checking out the history of posts to these Toyota groups in Google, I don't
>any consensus on tire recommendations for the Camry - my father needs to
>change the tires on his 2000 year model. Is this right or IS there a
>consensus on which tires are best year-round? Or should I just go through
>the individual recommendations and wing it?
>
>Thanks.


It's hard to believe that he doesn't subscribe to Consumer
Reports, so suggest to him that he visit the library. The
November, 2003 tire article may be sufficient or he may need to
scan past issues.

I don't know anyone here who uses winter tires as the road crews
do an excellent job; however, areas where there are lake effect
storms may need them.

Glenn.Pooler@att.net
Rochester Minnesota USA


  Reply With Quote
Old 15 Oct 2003, 08:56 pm   #7 (permalink)
Anthony Giorgianni
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Camry tire consensus?

Yes, subscribing to Consumer Reports is an excellent suggestion. But in
addition to reading Consumer Reports ratings, I simply was wondering whether
there are tires that happen to be especially good on Camrys. In the Ford
Explorer group, for example, there is sort of a group consensus on the best
tires for that particular vehicle - and we have been through the ringer on
tires, believe me )


--
Regards,
Anthony Giorgianni

The return address for this post is fictitious. Please reply by posting back
to the newsgroup.


"steve" <steve.fisher@charter.net> wrote in message
news:vorhblp20j1dd3@corp.supernews.com...
> you can subscribe to consumer reports online. about $20 / year.
> "Glenn Pooler" <glenn.pooler@att.net> wrote in message
> news:mk4rovsv4s2nrc7tl7mvqvmbf7jj9d8h83@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 02:08:44 GMT, "Anthony Giorgianni"
> <pleasepostbacktothetgroup@postbacktogroup.invalid > wrote:
>
> >Hello All
> >
> >Checking out the history of posts to these Toyota groups in Google, I

don't
> >any consensus on tire recommendations for the Camry - my father needs to
> >change the tires on his 2000 year model. Is this right or IS there a
> >consensus on which tires are best year-round? Or should I just go through
> >the individual recommendations and wing it?
> >
> >Thanks.

>
> It's hard to believe that he doesn't subscribe to Consumer
> Reports, so suggest to him that he visit the library. The
> November, 2003 tire article may be sufficient or he may need to
> scan past issues.
>
> I don't know anyone here who uses winter tires as the road crews
> do an excellent job; however, areas where there are lake effect
> storms may need them.
>
> Glenn.Pooler@att.net
> Rochester Minnesota USA
>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 15 Oct 2003, 09:03 pm   #8 (permalink)
Car Guy
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Camry tire consensus?

I hear the Yokohama Avid Touring or the Michelin X One or Michelin Harmony
come out as being good. But as you know, everyone has their preference
(performance vs. treadwear vs. wet traction vs. snow traction)

"Anthony Giorgianni" <pleasepostbacktothetgroup@postbacktogroup.invalid >
wrote in message
news:aVmjb.2969$Ec1.257571@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> Yes, subscribing to Consumer Reports is an excellent suggestion. But in
> addition to reading Consumer Reports ratings, I simply was wondering

whether
> there are tires that happen to be especially good on Camrys. In the Ford
> Explorer group, for example, there is sort of a group consensus on the

best
> tires for that particular vehicle - and we have been through the ringer on
> tires, believe me )
>
>
> --
> Regards,
> Anthony Giorgianni
>
> The return address for this post is fictitious. Please reply by posting

back
> to the newsgroup.
>
>
> "steve" <steve.fisher@charter.net> wrote in message
> news:vorhblp20j1dd3@corp.supernews.com...
> > you can subscribe to consumer reports online. about $20 / year.
> > "Glenn Pooler" <glenn.pooler@att.net> wrote in message
> > news:mk4rovsv4s2nrc7tl7mvqvmbf7jj9d8h83@4ax.com...
> > On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 02:08:44 GMT, "Anthony Giorgianni"
> > <pleasepostbacktothetgroup@postbacktogroup.invalid > wrote:
> >
> > >Hello All
> > >
> > >Checking out the history of posts to these Toyota groups in Google, I

> don't
> > >any consensus on tire recommendations for the Camry - my father needs

to
> > >change the tires on his 2000 year model. Is this right or IS there a
> > >consensus on which tires are best year-round? Or should I just go

through
> > >the individual recommendations and wing it?
> > >
> > >Thanks.

> >
> > It's hard to believe that he doesn't subscribe to Consumer
> > Reports, so suggest to him that he visit the library. The
> > November, 2003 tire article may be sufficient or he may need to
> > scan past issues.
> >
> > I don't know anyone here who uses winter tires as the road crews
> > do an excellent job; however, areas where there are lake effect
> > storms may need them.
> >
> > Glenn.Pooler@att.net
> > Rochester Minnesota USA
> >
> >

>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 16 Oct 2003, 02:24 am   #9 (permalink)
Mack Twamley
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Camry tire consensus?


"Car Guy" <nothing@something.com> wrote in message
news:s%mjb.1713$F31.285966@news20.bellglobal.com.. .
> I hear the Yokohama Avid Touring or the Michelin X One or Michelin Harmony
> come out as being good. But as you know, everyone has their preference
> (performance vs. treadwear vs. wet traction vs. snow traction)
>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
For what it's worth, I replaced the Michelins on my '97 Camry at about 75k
miles with Goodyear Weatherhandlers, and the difference was sensational.
The car seems to track on the highway as if on tracks, and I didn't even get
a wheel alignment when replacing the tires, just balancing. I'm more than
satisfied with the Goodyears.


  Reply With Quote
Old 16 Oct 2003, 07:15 am   #10 (permalink)
John
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Camry tire consensus?

I have a '98 Camry V6 and am using Yokohama YK420s (purchased at
Discount Tire / America's Tire, www.tires.com) inflated to 32 psi and I
really love them.

Ride is very very smooth, I can be very agressive in cornering with no
squeal and tire is rated for 60k mi. It has dual-channels/grooves to
help in rainy situations too.

Discount/America's Tire people have always been good to me. I think
YK420 is only carried by them, but I maybe wrong.

And no I don't work for them.

John.

  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:33 am.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.