Camry Crankshaft Pulley Separating

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Mar 2004, 03:21 pm   #1 (permalink)
None
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Camry Crankshaft Pulley Separating

My crankshaft pulley had slid away from the engine block; I was able to tap
it back into place but was wondering if its OK to drive like this or should
I replace it?

The crankshaft bolt seems to be tight, there is a rubber thing (like a slip
clutch?), that it was slipping out across.

Thanks!

Jess



  Reply With Quote
Old 07 Mar 2004, 12:17 am   #2 (permalink)
Jason James
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Camry Crankshaft Pulley Separating


"None" <None@none.com> wrote in message
news:uhr2c.22240$yZ1.9810@newsread2.news.pas.earth link.net...
> My crankshaft pulley had slid away from the engine block; I was able to

tap
> it back into place but was wondering if its OK to drive like this or

should
> I replace it?
>
> The crankshaft bolt seems to be tight, there is a rubber thing (like a

slip
> clutch?), that it was slipping out across.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jess


It needs replacing. Has the pulley been exposed to an oil leak? Sometimes
the rubber insert between the outer and inner hub goes off abit and cant
hold together.

Jason


  Reply With Quote
Old 07 Mar 2004, 10:12 am   #3 (permalink)
None
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Camry Crankshaft Pulley Separating

Jason,

Thanks for the reply - I will replace it. Could this have screwed up my
crankshaft too?

I think what happened - I hope this save somebody else the aggravation! -
was that I had used a pulley puller on to get the crankshaft pulley off at
one time to change the timing belt. Perhaps this messed it up; in looking
over my repair manuals they say not to do this.

Jess

"Jason James" <flyhi @byplane.com> wrote in message
news:e8z2c.91145$Wa.45489@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
>
> "None" <None@none.com> wrote in message
> news:uhr2c.22240$yZ1.9810@newsread2.news.pas.earth link.net...
> > My crankshaft pulley had slid away from the engine block; I was able to

> tap
> > it back into place but was wondering if its OK to drive like this or

> should
> > I replace it?
> >
> > The crankshaft bolt seems to be tight, there is a rubber thing (like a

> slip
> > clutch?), that it was slipping out across.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Jess

>
> It needs replacing. Has the pulley been exposed to an oil leak? Sometimes
> the rubber insert between the outer and inner hub goes off abit and cant
> hold together.
>
> Jason
>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 07 Mar 2004, 10:32 am   #4 (permalink)
Jason James
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Camry Crankshaft Pulley Separating


"None" <None@none.com> wrote in message
news:7SH2c.397$%06.150@newsread2.news.pas.earthlin k.net...
> Jason,
>
> Thanks for the reply - I will replace it. Could this have screwed up my
> crankshaft too?
>
> I think what happened - I hope this save somebody else the aggravation! -
> was that I had used a pulley puller on to get the crankshaft pulley off at
> one time to change the timing belt. Perhaps this messed it up; in looking
> over my repair manuals they say not to do this.
>
> Jess


That will do it. You needed to use the threaded holes as a puller attachment
point,..but you probably realise that now.

The pulley, even though compromised, will most likely not cause damage to
your crank. The first sign of harmonic damage would be a broken crank.

Jason


  Reply With Quote
Old 07 Mar 2004, 12:43 pm   #5 (permalink)
None
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Camry Crankshaft Pulley Separating

Thank you Jason!

"Jason James" <flyhi @byplane.com> wrote in message
news:C8I2c.91982$Wa.24303@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
>
> "None" <None@none.com> wrote in message
> news:7SH2c.397$%06.150@newsread2.news.pas.earthlin k.net...
> > Jason,
> >
> > Thanks for the reply - I will replace it. Could this have screwed up my
> > crankshaft too?
> >
> > I think what happened - I hope this save somebody else the

aggravation! -
> > was that I had used a pulley puller on to get the crankshaft pulley off

at
> > one time to change the timing belt. Perhaps this messed it up; in

looking
> > over my repair manuals they say not to do this.
> >
> > Jess

>
> That will do it. You needed to use the threaded holes as a puller

attachment
> point,..but you probably realise that now.
>
> The pulley, even though compromised, will most likely not cause damage to
> your crank. The first sign of harmonic damage would be a broken crank.
>
> Jason
>
>



  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:17 am.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.