Very strange Starting problem

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Apr 2004, 10:32 pm   #1 (permalink)
Huang Chung
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Very strange Starting problem

I have a very strange problem with my Starter - or something.
Sometimes when I turn the key nothing happens, Starter-wise. The
lights turn on, the radio works, and when I attempt to crank the
starter, the headlights do not dim - however, the inside clock Does
dim. (?) No, it doesn't crank. It acts like I didn't move the key
past where the engine is turned on, like I need to turn it further
around to the right. At first I thought it might be the Ignition
Switch, and maybe it still is. Or the starter. Had the Alternator
checked - charging system is good. Battery tests good. When it
starts, it starts like a new car. It's just getting it to that point,
where it's getting electricity I suspect might be the problem. Oh -
if I get the car jumped, it starts.

Any clues?
Spammers Persecuted
  Reply With Quote
Old 02 Apr 2004, 12:22 am   #2 (permalink)
Winston
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Very strange Starting problem

Huang Chung wrote:
(Snip)
> Sometimes when I turn the key nothing happens, Starter-wise. The
> lights turn on, the radio works, and when I attempt to crank the
> starter, the headlights do not dim - however, the inside clock Does
> dim. (?) No, it doesn't crank.

(Snip)

Check again after you disconect and clean both battery
connectors on the cables and battery per se.
Your local auto store can sell you a steel brush that
will make these connections clean and shiny again.

--Winston
  Reply With Quote
Old 02 Apr 2004, 08:32 am   #3 (permalink)
Jason James
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Very strange Starting problem


"Huang Chung" <WangChung@ev1.net> wrote in message
news:suqp60l90oupfo6jbr4hmf9e7p9j15fjbc@4ax.com...
> I have a very strange problem with my Starter - or something.
> Sometimes when I turn the key nothing happens, Starter-wise. The
> lights turn on, the radio works, and when I attempt to crank the
> starter, the headlights do not dim - however, the inside clock Does
> dim. (?) No, it doesn't crank. It acts like I didn't move the key
> past where the engine is turned on, like I need to turn it further
> around to the right. At first I thought it might be the Ignition
> Switch, and maybe it still is. Or the starter. Had the Alternator
> checked - charging system is good. Battery tests good. When it
> starts, it starts like a new car. It's just getting it to that point,
> where it's getting electricity I suspect might be the problem. Oh -
> if I get the car jumped, it starts.
>
> Any clues?
> Spammers Persecuted



If the headlights do not dim during the cranking phase, then its not
cranking,....by that I mean the starter solenoid is not even getting volts,
so to this extent, the battery is ruled out.
Soundz like the starting relay is dicky and when the car is 'boosted', the
sick relay decides to pull-in due the extra volt or so of battery.This relay
is situated behind the glove-box.

Another test is to apply full battery volts to the starter solenoid post.
This will rule out the starter. Lastly, the automatic- trans gear-lever
'inhibit start' maybe intermittant. Try moving the lever slightly back and
forth while trying thestarter.

Jason



  Reply With Quote
Old 06 Apr 2004, 12:10 am   #4 (permalink)
Huang Chung
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Very strange Starting problem

Thanks to you both, guys, I'm looking into this.

One thing occurred to me - if you've read my previous messages, you
may have noticed I've been having some alarm nightmares with this car
also (94 LE 4 cyl - mfd in Japan). I heard the alarm is somehow
connected to the starter.

If this is true, I may have another thing to fix or replace. Anyone
besides me have any experience with the stock amry alarm?

On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 14:32:48 GMT, "Jason James" <flyhi @byplane.com>
wrote:

>
>"Huang Chung" <WangChung@ev1.net> wrote in message
>news:suqp60l90oupfo6jbr4hmf9e7p9j15fjbc@4ax.com.. .
>> I have a very strange problem with my Starter - or something.
>> Sometimes when I turn the key nothing happens, Starter-wise. The
>> lights turn on, the radio works, and when I attempt to crank the
>> starter, the headlights do not dim - however, the inside clock Does
>> dim. (?) No, it doesn't crank. It acts like I didn't move the key
>> past where the engine is turned on, like I need to turn it further
>> around to the right. At first I thought it might be the Ignition
>> Switch, and maybe it still is. Or the starter. Had the Alternator
>> checked - charging system is good. Battery tests good. When it
>> starts, it starts like a new car. It's just getting it to that point,
>> where it's getting electricity I suspect might be the problem. Oh -
>> if I get the car jumped, it starts.
>>
>> Any clues?
>> Spammers Persecuted

>
>
>If the headlights do not dim during the cranking phase, then its not
>cranking,....by that I mean the starter solenoid is not even getting volts,
>so to this extent, the battery is ruled out.
>Soundz like the starting relay is dicky and when the car is 'boosted', the
>sick relay decides to pull-in due the extra volt or so of battery.This relay
>is situated behind the glove-box.
>
>Another test is to apply full battery volts to the starter solenoid post.
>This will rule out the starter. Lastly, the automatic- trans gear-lever
>'inhibit start' maybe intermittant. Try moving the lever slightly back and
>forth while trying thestarter.
>
>Jason
>
>


Spammers Persecuted
  Reply With Quote
Old 06 Apr 2004, 12:39 pm   #5 (permalink)
Jason James
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Very strange Starting problem


"Huang Chung" <WangChung@ev1.net> wrote in message
news:8me470hdqlm9cjdq97uuq62i9o1j538aek@4ax.com...
> Thanks to you both, guys, I'm looking into this.
>
> One thing occurred to me - if you've read my previous messages, you
> may have noticed I've been having some alarm nightmares with this car
> also (94 LE 4 cyl - mfd in Japan). I heard the alarm is somehow
> connected to the starter.
>
> If this is true, I may have another thing to fix or replace. Anyone
> besides me have any experience with the stock amry alarm?



After-market alarm? These are a right-royal pain in the ass,...when they
malfunction, as no-one knows how they are interacting with the cars
electronics, unless you are lucky enough to get reliable info from the alarm
manufacterer.

It may save time to get it removed by someone in that area: car-alrm
installation.

Jason


  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:24 pm.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.