Need Advice - Installing Pushbutton Ignition '98 Toyota Camry V4

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Apr 2004, 01:38 pm   #1 (permalink)
Alex Powell
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Need Advice - Installing Pushbutton Ignition '98 Toyota Camry V4

Recently I began making minor modifications to my interior to learn more
about the breakdown and wiring of my 1998 Toyota Camry V4. My latest idea
is to create a push button ignition that requires the key to be in the ON
position (for security). Upon inspecting my Haynes repair manual I
discovered the following:

1. The ON switch position contains two continuity circuits: (2-3-4) and
(6-7)
2. The START switch position contains two continuity circuits: (1-2-4) and
(6-7-8)

which led me to the following conclusions, of which I am not at all certain:

1. Installing a pushbutton that activated the START circuits while having
the key in the ON position would activate (1-2-3-4) and (6-7-8) which could
overload my car
2. A pushbutton should therefore OPEN the 3 wire from the ON switch while
simultaneously CLOSING the 2 and 8 wire

I think this can be accomplished by using Normally Open and Normally Closed
control blocks in conjunction with a momentary action button. However, I
have never worked with electronics before and am hesitant to proceed without
any advice. I know there is a packaged push button system available from
JCWhitney, but that would defeat the point of trying to learn how all of
this works. If anyone has ever attempted anything like this I would
appreciate any tips you have to offer.

Alex


  Reply With Quote
Old 05 Apr 2004, 01:54 pm   #2 (permalink)
gregory trimper
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Need Advice - Installing Pushbutton Ignition '98 Toyota CamryV4


Alex Powell wrote:

> Recently I began making minor modifications to my interior to learn more
> about the breakdown and wiring of my 1998 Toyota Camry V4.


A V4 Camry would be a unique creature: I have a couple of Ford V4
engines from vintage saabs and forklifts!

You have either an L4 (transversely mounted inline four-cylinder) or a
V6. Unless this is a truly custom car!

> 1. Installing a pushbutton that activated the START circuits while having
> the key in the ON position would activate (1-2-3-4) and (6-7-8) which could
> overload my car
> 2. A pushbutton should therefore OPEN the 3 wire from the ON switch while
> simultaneously CLOSING the 2 and 8 wire


You're on the right track, and you can observe this behaviour when start
the car with lights or accessories on, or just by watching the electric
gauges on the dash. Note how power to the accessories and other
electricals is cut when you move the key to start.

The real question might be "why" but, hey, it is your car. You will be
opening yourself up to a slight increase in potential theft, as well as
the hazard from the occasional bored passenger who likes to push obvious
buttons on the dash of the car, potentially grinding a few starter or
flywheel teeth. To avoid this, you may want to wire a relay to either
the ignition sensor or fuel pump relay circuits, preventing current from
flowing to the switch if the car is running.

good luck!
GTr
- -
http://www.preservestoughton.org/

  Reply With Quote
Old 05 Apr 2004, 03:03 pm   #3 (permalink)
Alex Powell
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Need Advice - Installing Pushbutton Ignition '98 Toyota Camry V4

"gregory trimper" <trimper@spamcop.net> wrote in message
news:5Yhcc.12665$yN6.7719@newsread2.news.atl.earth link.net...
>
> Alex Powell wrote:
>
> > Recently I began making minor modifications to my interior to learn more
> > about the breakdown and wiring of my 1998 Toyota Camry V4.

>
> A V4 Camry would be a unique creature: I have a couple of Ford V4
> engines from vintage saabs and forklifts!


Haha. My mind was thinking one thing and typing another. No engine block
mods yet.

> > 1. Installing a pushbutton that activated the START circuits while

having
> > the key in the ON position would activate (1-2-3-4) and (6-7-8) which

could
> > overload my car
> > 2. A pushbutton should therefore OPEN the 3 wire from the ON switch

while
> > simultaneously CLOSING the 2 and 8 wire

>
> You're on the right track, and you can observe this behaviour when start
> the car with lights or accessories on, or just by watching the electric
> gauges on the dash. Note how power to the accessories and other
> electricals is cut when you move the key to start.


That is exactly what I observed and why I posted the question. Thought
maybe somebody had actually worked with multi-circuit switches before and
could offer some advice.

> The real question might be "why" but, hey, it is your car. You will be
> opening yourself up to a slight increase in potential theft, as well as
> the hazard from the occasional bored passenger who likes to push obvious
> buttons on the dash of the car, potentially grinding a few starter or
> flywheel teeth. To avoid this, you may want to wire a relay to either
> the ignition sensor or fuel pump relay circuits, preventing current from
> flowing to the switch if the car is running.


That may be a future project. For now, I'm just going to get a plastic
guard that you have to pull up before engaging the button. That should
prevent accidental triggering.

Thanks for setting me straight before I overloaded everything!

Alex


  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:56 am.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.