1MZ-FE water pump change, identify this part?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Jun 2013, 01:33 am   #1 (permalink)
mrdarrett@gmail.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default 1MZ-FE water pump change, identify this part?

Hi,

I'm changing the water pump on the '02 Sienna, 1MZ-FE engine. Yes I know this is the Camry newsgroup, but this engine is similar to the V6 on the Camry, right? Plus I think the folks here are more knowledgeable than the folks on alt.autos.toyota...

I removed the water pump, and this gold-colored washer fell out. I have no idea where this part came from; I didn't notice it when I removed the 10mm nuts and bolts securing the water pump to the engine.

Where does it belong???

Thanks,

Michael
  Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2013, 06:35 pm   #2 (permalink)
Fat-Dumb and Happy
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 1MZ-FE water pump change, identify this part?



is it the one at 1.28 seconds on this video?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPwYEgrcHA8
  Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jun 2013, 01:38 am   #3 (permalink)
mrdarrett@gmail.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 1MZ-FE water pump change, identify this part?

On Wednesday, June 26, 2013 4:35:11 PM UTC-7, Fat-Dumb and Happy wrote:
> is it the one at 1.28 seconds on this video?
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPwYEgrcHA8



Yes it is! Thank you! =)
  Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jun 2013, 04:28 pm   #4 (permalink)
Geoff Welsh
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 1MZ-FE water pump change, identify this part?

Fat-Dumb and Happy wrote:
>
>
> is it the one at 1.28 seconds on this video?
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPwYEgrcHA8


EXACTLY what I was thinking, cool vid.

btw, that's the quietest air ratchet in the world!
GW
  Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jun 2013, 12:49 pm   #5 (permalink)
mrdarrett@gmail.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 1MZ-FE water pump change, identify this part?

On Thursday, June 27, 2013 2:28:25 PM UTC-7, Geoff Welsh wrote:
> Fat-Dumb and Happy wrote:
>
> >

>
> >

>
> > is it the one at 1.28 seconds on this video?

>
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPwYEgrcHA8

>
>
>
> EXACTLY what I was thinking, cool vid.
>
>
>
> btw, that's the quietest air ratchet in the world!
>
> GW



Yeah it was really quiet!

I should have watched the thing to the end. Moving the rear camshaft pulley forwards slightly to tighten the belt seems a lot easier than what I did.When I installed the new timing belt, I had a really tough time making all the marks line up, especially the rear camshaft pulley. I had the idea to remove the top idler, put the belt on the rear pulley, THEN reinstall thetop idler. I did that, but I guess I put too much force on the belt and the rear camshaft pulley sprang forward. That noise was something (scared me half to death). When putting it back in alignment I noticed it's not in a stable spot at the mark, like it is on the 5S-FE. Imagine a ball on the top of a hill... it wants to roll downwards. Surprised. And a bit apprehensive if I mashed a valve or something as the camshaft sprang forward. I think it's an interference engine after all... VVT-i, 2002 Sienna 1MZ-FE.

Michael
  Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jun 2013, 10:22 pm   #6 (permalink)
Geoff Welsh
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 1MZ-FE water pump change, identify this part?

mrdarrett@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday, June 27, 2013 2:28:25 PM UTC-7, Geoff Welsh wrote:
>> Fat-Dumb and Happy wrote:


>>> is it the one at 1.28 seconds on this video?

>>
>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPwYEgrcHA8

>>
>> EXACTLY what I was thinking, cool vid.
>> btw, that's the quietest air ratchet in the world!
>>
>> GW

>
> Yeah it was really quiet!
>
> I should have watched the thing to the end. Moving the rear camshaft
> pulley forwards slightly to tighten the belt seems a lot easier than
> what I did. When I installed the new timing belt, I had a really
> tough time making all the marks line up, especially the rear camshaft
> pulley. I had the idea to remove the top idler, put the belt on the
> rear pulley, THEN reinstall the top idler. I did that, but I guess I
> put too much force on the belt and the rear camshaft pulley sprang
> forward. That noise was something (scared me half to death). When
> putting it back in alignment I noticed it's not in a stable spot at
> the mark, like it is on the 5S-FE. Imagine a ball on the top of a
> hill... it wants to roll downwards. Surprised. And a bit
> apprehensive if I mashed a valve or something as the camshaft sprang
> forward. I think it's an interference engine after all... VVT-i,
> 2002 Sienna 1MZ-FE.
>
> Michael


it's unlikely you damaged anything by hand
GW
  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:24 pm.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.