1990 Camry A/C problem

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Apr 2004, 01:58 pm   #1 (permalink)
Bill & Phedra Thompson
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default 1990 Camry A/C problem

I own a 1990 Camry and since the first day I bought it, the a/c fades in and
out while I'm driving. It puts out cold air but not consistently like it's
supposed to. What could be causing this?


  Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2004, 04:10 pm   #2 (permalink)
Pops
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 1990 Camry A/C problem

Well it is 14 years old. Seals leak and freon escapes. Time to convert to
Freon 134. Count on 5-600 bucks depending upon what parts have failed.
Pops


--
Richard N. Price

Popsprice@cfl.rr.com
"Bill & Phedra Thompson" <deadprts@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:aJffc.29763$UC4.16768@bignews2.bellsouth.net. ..
> I own a 1990 Camry and since the first day I bought it, the a/c fades in

and
> out while I'm driving. It puts out cold air but not consistently like it's
> supposed to. What could be causing this?
>
>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2004, 11:12 am   #3 (permalink)
j.lef
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 1990 Camry A/C problem


"Bill & Phedra Thompson" <deadprts@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:aJffc.29763$UC4.16768@bignews2.bellsouth.net. ..
> I own a 1990 Camry and since the first day I bought it, the a/c fades in

and
> out while I'm driving. It puts out cold air but not consistently like it's
> supposed to. What could be causing this?


Please forgive me in advance, to all you professional mechanics
out there, but I had the same problem, and my buddy just increased my idle
speed a bit, and it solved the problem. I went to two places to have it
looked at, and they all wanted hundreds and hundreds of dollars. My buddy,
who works for a big chain auto place(mavis tires) spent ten seconds on it,
and the ac has been purring for the last two years no problem. I have over
165,000 miles on it. Oh its a 1991, but I dont think that should make a
difference.



  Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2004, 11:29 am   #4 (permalink)
Bill & Phedra Thompson
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 1990 Camry A/C problem

I forgot to mention that the fading in & out applies to the heat as well.


  Reply With Quote
Old 22 Apr 2004, 11:13 am   #5 (permalink)
blakno3
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 1990 Camry A/C problem

"Bill & Phedra Thompson" <deadprts@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:<WLTfc.30734$ux4.23132@bignews5.bellsouth.net >...
> I forgot to mention that the fading in & out applies to the heat as well.


I owned a vehicle with this problem. I found that it only occurred
when air
became trapped in the cooling system, or when the coolant level was
low. Mine
ended up being a bad head gasket. If you're not losing any coolant,
you probably
have air entering your cooling system from the combustion chamber. I'm
not a
mechanic by trade but this theory made sense when I spoke with the
technician who replaced the head gaskets. Before I had it fixed I
found myself bleeding
the air bubbles from the cooling system every day. My A.C./heat would
only work for a short time - maybe twenty minutes but your results may
be
better. Good luck.
  Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2004, 07:01 am   #6 (permalink)
Alex Marcuzzi
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 1990 Camry A/C problem

This would pertain to a heat problem but A/C uses a complete separate
system. One circulates hot water to give heat while the other circulates
Freon to remove heat. If the problem is common for both heat and A/C I would
look at things that are common to both. E.G. air supply, fan speed variance
etc.
Alex
"blakno3" <jthibodeau@necsys.net> wrote in message
news:972c1c43.0404220813.29198acb@posting.google.c om...
> "Bill & Phedra Thompson" <deadprts@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

news:<WLTfc.30734$ux4.23132@bignews5.bellsouth.net >...
> > I forgot to mention that the fading in & out applies to the heat as

well.
>
> I owned a vehicle with this problem. I found that it only occurred
> when air
> became trapped in the cooling system, or when the coolant level was
> low. Mine
> ended up being a bad head gasket. If you're not losing any coolant,
> you probably
> have air entering your cooling system from the combustion chamber. I'm
> not a
> mechanic by trade but this theory made sense when I spoke with the
> technician who replaced the head gaskets. Before I had it fixed I
> found myself bleeding
> the air bubbles from the cooling system every day. My A.C./heat would
> only work for a short time - maybe twenty minutes but your results may
> be
> better. Good luck.



  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:44 pm.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.