1999 I4 Camry auto trans oil hose to radiator

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Jul 2013, 03:03 pm   #1 (permalink)
mrdarrett@gmail.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default 1999 I4 Camry auto trans oil hose to radiator

Radiator has a hairline crack in the plastic. Ordered a new one from rockauto.com (Denso, about $70) and I thought maybe now's a good time to replacethe rubber transmission oil hose to the radiator as well (almost 135,000 miles, 1999 after all).

Now I'm stuck trying to figure out what diameter of hose to get. CarQuest says they sell 5/16-inch and 3/8-inch diameter hose, Gates brand. I didn'tthink 1/16 of an inch would be all that big of a deal but the cashier insists that it should be snug and not too tight.

So, what diameter is it? It blows my mind that it's not a metric size, butoh well.

Thanks,

Michael
  Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jul 2013, 11:41 pm   #2 (permalink)
Benjamin.Kubelsky
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 1999 I4 Camry auto trans oil hose to radiator

On 7/8/2013 1:03 PM, mrdarrett@gmail.com wrote:
> Radiator has a hairline crack in the plastic. Ordered a new one from rockauto.com (Denso, about $70) and I thought maybe now's a good time to replace the rubber transmission oil hose to the radiator as well (almost 135,000 miles, 1999 after all).
>
> Now I'm stuck trying to figure out what diameter of hose to get. CarQuest says they sell 5/16-inch and 3/8-inch diameter hose, Gates brand. I didn't think 1/16 of an inch would be all that big of a deal but the cashier insists that it should be snug and not too tight.
>
> So, what diameter is it? It blows my mind that it's not a metric size, but oh well.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Michael
>



Well, it most likely was a metric size if the car was made outside the
USA. But could well be locally supplied inch measured hose for USA made
cars. With something like rubber hose, they would be close enough.

But, I can't tell what size you should use. You might want to try to see
what is printed on the existing hose before you take it off. They
usually have the size printed every so often along with brand name, etc.

Gates does make very high quality rubber products.

Regards,

Jack
  Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jul 2013, 04:13 pm   #3 (permalink)
Geoff Welsh
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 1999 I4 Camry auto trans oil hose to radiator

mrdarrett@gmail.com wrote:
> Radiator has a hairline crack in the plastic. Ordered a new one from
> rockauto.com (Denso, about $70) and I thought maybe now's a good time
> to replace the rubber transmission oil hose to the radiator as well
> (almost 135,000 miles, 1999 after all).
>
> Now I'm stuck trying to figure out what diameter of hose to get.
> CarQuest says they sell 5/16-inch and 3/8-inch diameter hose, Gates
> brand. I didn't think 1/16 of an inch would be all that big of a
> deal but the cashier insists that it should be snug and not too
> tight.
>
> So, what diameter is it? It blows my mind that it's not a metric
> size, but oh well.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Michael


Option1:

get a 3/8 open end wrench and a 5/16 open end wrench
Which one barely fits around the metal line? That's the size.

Option2:

unscrew the pipe from the radiator and take it inside the store

Option3:

take off the old hose and take it inside the store

Option4:

Buy both, you'll use the other sooner or later and they cost what...$3?

GW
  Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jul 2013, 05:00 pm   #4 (permalink)
mrdarrett@gmail.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 1999 I4 Camry auto trans oil hose to radiator

On Tuesday, July 9, 2013 2:13:45 PM UTC-7, Geoff Welsh wrote:
> mrdarrett@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > Radiator has a hairline crack in the plastic. Ordered a new one from

>
> > rockauto.com (Denso, about $70) and I thought maybe now's a good time

>
> > to replace the rubber transmission oil hose to the radiator as well

>
> > (almost 135,000 miles, 1999 after all).

>
> >

>
> > Now I'm stuck trying to figure out what diameter of hose to get.

>
> > CarQuest says they sell 5/16-inch and 3/8-inch diameter hose, Gates

>
> > brand. I didn't think 1/16 of an inch would be all that big of a

>
> > deal but the cashier insists that it should be snug and not too

>
> > tight.

>
> >

>
> > So, what diameter is it? It blows my mind that it's not a metric

>
> > size, but oh well.

>
> >

>
> > Thanks,

>
> >

>
> > Michael

>
>
>
> Option1:
>
>
>
> get a 3/8 open end wrench and a 5/16 open end wrench
>
> Which one barely fits around the metal line? That's the size.
>
>
>
> Option2:
>
>
>
> unscrew the pipe from the radiator and take it inside the store
>
>
>
> Option3:
>
>
>
> take off the old hose and take it inside the store
>
>
>
> Option4:
>
>
>
> Buy both, you'll use the other sooner or later and they cost what...$3?
>
>
>
> GW



Options 1-3 sound good. They cost $4 per foot; I'm getting at least 4 feet to allow for mistakes.

I just thought someone here knew the correct spec.

Thanks,

Michael
  Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jul 2013, 10:28 pm   #5 (permalink)
Geoff Welsh
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 1999 I4 Camry auto trans oil hose to radiator

mrdarrett@gmail.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 9, 2013 2:13:45 PM UTC-7, Geoff Welsh wrote:
>> mrdarrett@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>> Radiator has a hairline crack in the plastic. Ordered a new one from

>>
>>> rockauto.com (Denso, about $70) and I thought maybe now's a good time

>>
>>> to replace the rubber transmission oil hose to the radiator as well

>>
>>> (almost 135,000 miles, 1999 after all).

>>
>>>

>>
>>> Now I'm stuck trying to figure out what diameter of hose to get.

>>
>>> CarQuest says they sell 5/16-inch and 3/8-inch diameter hose, Gates

>>
>>> brand. I didn't think 1/16 of an inch would be all that big of a

>>
>>> deal but the cashier insists that it should be snug and not too

>>
>>> tight.

>>
>>>

>>
>>> So, what diameter is it? It blows my mind that it's not a metric

>>
>>> size, but oh well.

>>
>>>

>>
>>> Thanks,

>>
>>>

>>
>>> Michael

>>
>>
>>
>> Option1:
>>
>>
>>
>> get a 3/8 open end wrench and a 5/16 open end wrench
>>
>> Which one barely fits around the metal line? That's the size.
>>
>>
>>
>> Option2:
>>
>>
>>
>> unscrew the pipe from the radiator and take it inside the store
>>
>>
>>
>> Option3:
>>
>>
>>
>> take off the old hose and take it inside the store
>>
>>
>>
>> Option4:
>>
>>
>>
>> Buy both, you'll use the other sooner or later and they cost what...$3?
>>
>>
>>
>> GW

>
>
> Options 1-3 sound good. They cost $4 per foot; I'm getting at least 4 feet to allow for mistakes.
>
> I just thought someone here knew the correct spec.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Michael


it's far better to have someone teach you how to check for yourself,
than to blindly trust a simple "size ABC!" response that could be flat
out wrong.

GW
  Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jul 2013, 09:16 am   #6 (permalink)
Fat-Dumb and Happy
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 1999 I4 Camry auto trans oil hose to radiator

Something like this, just take the old one into the parts store and
they will cut one off the same length. Probably best to use a real auto
parts store for something like this and not let the kid at autobone
guess at what it is and what he's doing. If you have screw type hose
clamps don't over tighten... tight enough to hold forever but not so
tight you damage the new hose.

  Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jul 2013, 11:32 am   #7 (permalink)
mrdarrett@gmail.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 1999 I4 Camry auto trans oil hose to radiator

On Wednesday, July 10, 2013 7:16:47 AM UTC-7, Fat-Dumb and Happy wrote:
> Something like this, just take the old one into the parts store and
>
> they will cut one off the same length. Probably best to use a real auto
>
> parts store for something like this and not let the kid at autobone
>
> guess at what it is and what he's doing. If you have screw type hose
>
> clamps don't over tighten... tight enough to hold forever but not so
>
> tight you damage the new hose.



Ah, not too tight! Thanks.

I do wonder if my eyes are good enough to distinguish a difference of 1/16-inch in diameter.

Say, is it normal for a 14-year-old radiator to develop cracks in the plastic after 134,000 miles? I used the red Toyota coolant.

Also planning to change my radiator cap...

Thanks,

Michael
  Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jul 2013, 02:06 pm   #8 (permalink)
Geoff Welsh
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 1999 I4 Camry auto trans oil hose to radiator

mrdarrett@gmail.com wrote:
>
> I do wonder if my eyes are good enough to distinguish a difference of
> 1/16-inch in diameter.
>


It's obvious when they are next to each other. It's 20% diameter increase.


> Say, is it normal for a 14-year-old radiator to develop cracks in the
> plastic after 134,000 miles?
>


Rule of thumb: If the store has the part you need...it's normal for it
to break.


> Also planning to change my radiator cap...
>


that should be done every year anyway

GW
  Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jul 2013, 06:19 pm   #9 (permalink)
Fat-Dumb and Happy
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 1999 I4 Camry auto trans oil hose to radiator

You might want to check the motor mounts and dog bone to make sure the
engine isn't moving to much when accelerating or stopping.
Radiators.. one of those things, some last the life of the vehicle, a
lot of them get clogged up on the inside, some start leaking, they are
usually easy to change. I once drilled a couple of holes at the end of
a crack on one on an old chevy with the plastic tanks, then ruffed the
area up with a hand grinder and gooped it all good with JB Weld. It was
supposed to be temp thing but it was still on the car holding pressure
when I sold it a couple of years later.

and a motor mount video.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Nsnp0K3BKM
  Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jul 2013, 06:55 pm   #10 (permalink)
mrdarrett@gmail.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 1999 I4 Camry auto trans oil hose to radiator

On Wednesday, July 10, 2013 4:19:35 PM UTC-7, Fat-Dumb and Happy wrote:
> You might want to check the motor mounts and dog bone to make sure the
>
> engine isn't moving to much when accelerating or stopping.
>
> Radiators.. one of those things, some last the life of the vehicle, a
>
> lot of them get clogged up on the inside, some start leaking, they are
>
> usually easy to change. I once drilled a couple of holes at the end of
>
> a crack on one on an old chevy with the plastic tanks, then ruffed the
>
> area up with a hand grinder and gooped it all good with JB Weld. It was
>
> supposed to be temp thing but it was still on the car holding pressure
>
> when I sold it a couple of years later.
>
>
>
> and a motor mount video.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Nsnp0K3BKM



Oh ok thanks!

I called the dealer for specs on the pressure rating on the cap. They didn't know, but want $26 for a new radiator cap. They also didn't know the diameter of the oil hoses, but want some $56 for the two hoses. But at leastthey told me the cracks are likely not caused by a bad radiator cap.

I would do the JB Weld thing but it seems the bottom part of the rad is toast too. Might as well just replace the thing.

Thanks again,

Michael
  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:34 am.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.