1990 Camry V6 will not start

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Apr 2004, 10:21 pm   #1 (permalink)
mlambie
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default 1990 Camry V6 will not start

My son has a 1990 v6 camry which has been running great and then one day it
died going through an intersection and would not start again. It cranks
like mad. I can smell fuel at the tail pipe, but I have no spark at the
plug. I have spark coming out of the ignition coil but maybe it's a
little on the yellow/blue side. I checked the ignition coil resistance and
found the secondary resistance to be a little high 12.2k ohms vs 10.4 max
spec. So that appears to be a source of a weak spark but not NO spark. I
tried to check the resistance of the plug wires but get an "open" reading.
No way that 3 of the 3 plug wires I checked could all have failed at the
same time. I think they are silicon, do you have to measure resistance
differently. I measured the resitance of the igniter but do not see a
spec anywhere.

I see from other postings that ignition coils seem to be a likely culprit
amongst Camrys, but I suspect that there are other problems. Any help on
the igniter resistance spec or other things to check. Yeah, I'm trying to
NOT take out the distributor, that job looks like a knuckle buster.

  Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2004, 09:06 am   #2 (permalink)
Daniel M. Dreifus
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 1990 Camry V6 will not start

"mlambie" <mlambie@ameritech.net> wrote in message news:<60488b1e9eb5afc753b73908dd218cfe@localhost.t alkaboutautos.com>...
I checked the ignition coil resistance and
> found the secondary resistance to be a little high 12.2k ohms vs 10.4 max
> spec. So that appears to be a source of a weak spark but not NO spark. I
> tried to check the resistance of the plug wires but get an "open" reading.
> No way that 3 of the 3 plug wires I checked could all have failed at the
> same time. I think they are silicon, do you have to measure resistance
> differently.


If the coil tests out of spec, and the wires read open resistance,
replace the coil and wires first. Then, if the problem remains, check
other items.
It's not that the wires all went bad at once, but that the high
voltage in the secondary ignition system can bridge small open faults
in the wires. They should still be replaced. There is no special
procedure for measuring them, just an accurate ohm meter with a lead
on each end.
If you're smelling gas, and getting no spark, could be the combination
of weak coil and weak wires together producing insufficient voltage at
the plugs.
If the wires and coil are not operating properly, might be a good idea
to check the spark plugs also. Obviously, if they're worn, will also
increase the voltage needed to fire them.
  Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2004, 10:33 am   #3 (permalink)
Daniel M. Dreifus
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 1990 Camry V6 will not start

"mlambie" <mlambie@ameritech.net> wrote in message news:<60488b1e9eb5afc753b73908dd218cfe@localhost.t alkaboutautos.com>...
> My son has a 1990 v6 camry which has been running great and then one day it
> died going through an intersection and would not start again. It cranks
> like mad.


Check the timing belt, also.
Remove the distributor cap and note the position of the rotor.
Put a wrench on the crankshaft pulley, and turn it one half turn.
Check to make sure the distributor rotor has moved.
  Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2004, 10:14 pm   #4 (permalink)
mlambie
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 1990 Camry V6 will not start

Final diagnosis on my 1990 Camry 6 cyclner. IT turned out to be a bad coil
and the rotor was cracked nearly in half and burnt very bad. Never seen a
rotor die that bad. Not sure why the ignition wire resistance read so
high but I guess it must be related to the amount of voltage my voltmeter
uses to determine resistance and the very high resistance of the wires to
prevent radio noise. I have a strong spark so it looks like they are OK,
but I'm still suspicious. Anyway, put everything back together and it
cranks... and even runs like a champ. One item to know... my manual says
there are two bolts to remove to get the distributor off.. and in fact
there are three. So that cost me a distributor. Also, take care not to
damage the ignition wire holders that attach to the distributor. They are
$6 each and not carried in stock by the Toyota dealer. Also when you go
to order them, take your VIN number as 1990 was a split year for two
different configurations of the ignition wire holder.

  Reply With Quote
Old 29 Apr 2004, 03:58 pm   #5 (permalink)
Pat Sproule
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 1990 Camry V6 will not start

Just went through the same on mine - running fine one moment, completly dead
the next. It was arcing across the rotor (which had also split). Spark at
the coil lead but none at the plugs. A new cap and rotor and all was well
plus the slight miss at 4500rpm has gone.

Sorry to hear you had to do a coil and dizzy as well.

Pat.

"mlambie" <mlambie@ameritech.net> wrote in message
news:fa6d58ac16b73f633fa7c518294debe1@localhost.ta lkaboutautos.com...
> Final diagnosis on my 1990 Camry 6 cyclner. IT turned out to be a bad

coil
> and the rotor was cracked nearly in half and burnt very bad. Never seen a
> rotor die that bad. Not sure why the ignition wire resistance read so
> high but I guess it must be related to the amount of voltage my voltmeter
> uses to determine resistance and the very high resistance of the wires to
> prevent radio noise. I have a strong spark so it looks like they are OK,
> but I'm still suspicious. Anyway, put everything back together and it
> cranks... and even runs like a champ. One item to know... my manual says
> there are two bolts to remove to get the distributor off.. and in fact
> there are three. So that cost me a distributor. Also, take care not to
> damage the ignition wire holders that attach to the distributor. They are
> $6 each and not carried in stock by the Toyota dealer. Also when you go
> to order them, take your VIN number as 1990 was a split year for two
> different configurations of the ignition wire holder.
>



  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:41 am.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.