1999 Camry exterior door handle assembly

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Jul 2013, 01:36 am   #1 (permalink)
Sharx35
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default 1999 Camry exterior door handle assembly

I've noticed that the "mountings" (that part surrounding the
lift-up handles) on the outside of my 99 Camry's exterior doors
appear to be coming loose from their inside-the-door panel
mountings when I lift up the handle to open the doors (from the
outside). The body shop insists that someone probably tried to
break into the car but this is unlikely as the vehicle, when not
being used, has been parked in a locked garage, in recent years.
Anyone else noticed this? The vehicle has 173,000 kilometres on
it...about 102,000 miles.

  Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2013, 06:08 am   #2 (permalink)
badgolferman
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 1999 Camry exterior door handle assembly

Sharx35 wrote:

>I've noticed that the "mountings" (that part surrounding the lift-up
>handles) on the outside of my 99 Camry's exterior doors appear to be
>coming loose from their inside-the-door panel mountings when I lift
>up the handle to open the doors (from the outside). The body shop
>insists that someone probably tried to break into the car but this is
>unlikely as the vehicle, when not being used, has been parked in a
>locked garage, in recent years. Anyone else noticed this? The vehicle
>has 173,000 kilometres on it...about 102,000 miles.


I have had to replace those handles before due to the lift-up part
breaking. It's not that hard to remove the inside door panel and
tighten down the screws holding the whole assembly in place. I'm sure
you can find a YouTube video for it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2013, 08:25 pm   #3 (permalink)
Sharx35
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 1999 Camry exterior door handle assembly



"badgolferman" <REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:xn0il4umcdblpbt000@reader.albasani.net...
> Sharx35 wrote:
>
>>I've noticed that the "mountings" (that part surrounding the
>>lift-up
>>handles) on the outside of my 99 Camry's exterior doors appear to
>>be
>>coming loose from their inside-the-door panel mountings when I
>>lift
>>up the handle to open the doors (from the outside). The body shop
>>insists that someone probably tried to break into the car but
>>this is
>>unlikely as the vehicle, when not being used, has been parked in
>>a
>>locked garage, in recent years. Anyone else noticed this? The
>>vehicle
>>has 173,000 kilometres on it...about 102,000 miles.

>
> I have had to replace those handles before due to the lift-up
> part
> breaking. It's not that hard to remove the inside door panel and
> tighten down the screws holding the whole assembly in place. I'm
> sure
> you can find a YouTube video for it.


It's just screws holding it in place? The body shop gave me a huge
song and dance about
elaborate welding being required to "reseat" the door handle
assembly so that it lay flush with the door exterior.



  Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2013, 10:57 pm   #4 (permalink)
Geoff Welsh
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 1999 Camry exterior door handle assembly

Sharx35 wrote:
>
>
> "badgolferman" <REMOVETHISbadgolferman@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:xn0il4umcdblpbt000@reader.albasani.net...
>> Sharx35 wrote:
>>
>>> I've noticed that the "mountings" (that part surrounding the lift-up
>>> handles) on the outside of my 99 Camry's exterior doors appear to be
>>> coming loose from their inside-the-door panel mountings when I lift
>>> up the handle to open the doors (from the outside). The body shop
>>> insists that someone probably tried to break into the car but this is
>>> unlikely as the vehicle, when not being used, has been parked in a
>>> locked garage, in recent years. Anyone else noticed this? The vehicle
>>> has 173,000 kilometres on it...about 102,000 miles.

>>
>> I have had to replace those handles before due to the lift-up part
>> breaking. It's not that hard to remove the inside door panel and
>> tighten down the screws holding the whole assembly in place. I'm sure
>> you can find a YouTube video for it.

>
> It's just screws holding it in place? The body shop gave me a huge song
> and dance about
> elaborate welding being required to "reseat" the door handle assembly so
> that it lay flush with the door exterior.
>


their screwed on, and usually replaced at a repair shop, not a body
shop. They're also made of crappy metal so you may try to tighten them
and find that threads have stripped, in which case just by a whole
handle off eBay.

GW
  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:59 pm.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.