idle speeds for the '99 Camry

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Mar 2010, 06:01 pm   #1 (permalink)
Michael
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default idle speeds for the '99 Camry

What are normal idle speeds for the '99 Camry, when cold, and when
warm?
  Reply With Quote
Old 15 Mar 2010, 10:29 pm   #2 (permalink)
Michael
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: idle speeds for the '99 Camry

On Mar 15, 8:27*pm, Leftie <N...@Thanks.net> wrote:
> Michael wrote:
> > What are normal idle speeds for the '99 Camry, when cold, and when
> > warm?

>
> * * Four or V-6? The four should cold idle at 1300-1500 RPM. When warm
> it should idle at about 1000 RPM in Neutral, and about 850 in Drive.



Ah, it's a 4. It seems to idle cold 1600-1800 RPM. What to do to
fix?
  Reply With Quote
Old 15 Mar 2010, 11:27 pm   #3 (permalink)
Leftie
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: idle speeds for the '99 Camry

Michael wrote:
> What are normal idle speeds for the '99 Camry, when cold, and when
> warm?



Four or V-6? The four should cold idle at 1300-1500 RPM. When warm
it should idle at about 1000 RPM in Neutral, and about 850 in Drive.
  Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2010, 07:39 am   #4 (permalink)
ransley
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: idle speeds for the '99 Camry

On Mar 15, 6:01*pm, Michael <mrdarr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What are normal idle speeds for the '99 Camry, when cold, and when
> warm?


Mine going back to 84 have always stayed about 600-700 warm 7-800
cold, When its cold oil is thickest and thats when rpm needs to stay
low as on startup oil cant circulate, its to thick at extreme temps.
To high an rpm and the oil bypass valve will open and circulate dirty
oil. Ive seen motors ruined from being raced at high rpm in the first
few minutes of startup from starvation. Its not as bad these days with
0-30 and 5-30 synthetics, but back in the 70s when 15-30 was commonly
used it was a big issue. If mine dont idle at near 6-700 warm I have
them fixed. The Idle air Control?
  Reply With Quote
Old 17 Mar 2010, 12:52 am   #5 (permalink)
Leftie
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: idle speeds for the '99 Camry

Michael wrote:
> On Mar 15, 8:27 pm, Leftie <N...@Thanks.net> wrote:
>> Michael wrote:
>>> What are normal idle speeds for the '99 Camry, when cold, and when
>>> warm?

>> Four or V-6? The four should cold idle at 1300-1500 RPM. When warm
>> it should idle at about 1000 RPM in Neutral, and about 850 in Drive.

>
>
> Ah, it's a 4. It seems to idle cold 1600-1800 RPM. What to do to
> fix?



If it's cold out I wouldn't worry about it, as long as it drops back
to normal when warm. If you don't like that 'lurch' when shifting into
Drive, then do it with your foot off (but still above!) the brake pedal.
This will let the car move forward and absorb the extra jolt instead of
transmitting it through the body.
  Reply With Quote
Old 17 Mar 2010, 07:24 am   #6 (permalink)
ransley
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: idle speeds for the '99 Camry

On Mar 17, 12:52*am, Leftie <N...@Thanks.net> wrote:
> Michael wrote:
> > On Mar 15, 8:27 pm, Leftie <N...@Thanks.net> wrote:
> >> Michael wrote:
> >>> What are normal idle speeds for the '99 Camry, when cold, and when
> >>> warm?
> >> * * Four or V-6? The four should cold idle at 1300-1500 RPM. When warm
> >> it should idle at about 1000 RPM in Neutral, and about 850 in Drive.

>
> > Ah, it's a 4. *It seems to idle cold 1600-1800 RPM. *What to do to
> > fix?

>
> * * If it's cold out I wouldn't worry about it, as long as it drops back
> to normal when warm. If you don't like that 'lurch' when shifting into
> Drive, then do it with your foot off (but still above!) the brake pedal.
> This will let the car move forward and absorb the extra jolt instead of
> transmitting it through the body.


1800 at -20 oil will most likey open the bypass valve, its equal to 60
mph, would you take a frozen motor will oil as thick as molases and
immediatly drive 60 mph, many do, I dont and my motors last. High rpm
for the first few minutes of operation is bad at -20 it can take a
minute to curculate oil, think about the piston-cilinder walls, google
Cold startup oil starvation.
  Reply With Quote
Old 17 Mar 2010, 10:46 am   #7 (permalink)
Michael
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: idle speeds for the '99 Camry

On Mar 17, 5:24*am, ransley <Mark_Rans...@Yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Mar 17, 12:52*am, Leftie <N...@Thanks.net> wrote:
>
>
>
> > Michael wrote:
> > > On Mar 15, 8:27 pm, Leftie <N...@Thanks.net> wrote:
> > >> Michael wrote:
> > >>> What are normal idle speeds for the '99 Camry, when cold, and when
> > >>> warm?
> > >> * * Four or V-6? The four should cold idle at 1300-1500 RPM. When warm
> > >> it should idle at about 1000 RPM in Neutral, and about 850 in Drive.

>
> > > Ah, it's a 4. *It seems to idle cold 1600-1800 RPM. *What to do to
> > > fix?

>
> > * * If it's cold out I wouldn't worry about it, as long as it dropsback
> > to normal when warm. If you don't like that 'lurch' when shifting into
> > Drive, then do it with your foot off (but still above!) the brake pedal..
> > This will let the car move forward and absorb the extra jolt instead of
> > transmitting it through the body.

>
> 1800 at -20 oil will most likey open the bypass valve, its equal to 60
> mph, would you take a frozen motor will oil as thick as molases and
> immediatly drive 60 mph, many do, I dont and my motors last. High rpm
> for the first few minutes of operation is bad at -20 it can take a
> minute to curculate oil, think about the piston-cilinder walls, google
> Cold startup oil starvation.



Idles at ~600 when warm. We live in sunny CA where the coldest it
gets is maybe 40F in the morning. Will see what I can do to drop the
cold idle...
  Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2010, 03:28 am   #8 (permalink)
Sharx35
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: idle speeds for the '99 Camry



"ransley" <Mark_Ransley@Yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:0b8b8f6a-91f8-4869-8986-86337c0fdf22@15g2000yqi.googlegroups.com...
> On Mar 17, 12:52 am, Leftie <N...@Thanks.net> wrote:
>> Michael wrote:
>> > On Mar 15, 8:27 pm, Leftie <N...@Thanks.net> wrote:
>> >> Michael wrote:
>> >>> What are normal idle speeds for the '99 Camry, when cold, and when
>> >>> warm?
>> >> Four or V-6? The four should cold idle at 1300-1500 RPM. When warm
>> >> it should idle at about 1000 RPM in Neutral, and about 850 in Drive.

>>
>> > Ah, it's a 4. It seems to idle cold 1600-1800 RPM. What to do to
>> > fix?

>>
>> If it's cold out I wouldn't worry about it, as long as it drops back
>> to normal when warm. If you don't like that 'lurch' when shifting into
>> Drive, then do it with your foot off (but still above!) the brake pedal.
>> This will let the car move forward and absorb the extra jolt instead of
>> transmitting it through the body.

>
> 1800 at -20 oil will most likey open the bypass valve, its equal to 60
> mph, would you take a frozen motor will oil as thick as molases and
> immediatly drive 60 mph, many do, I dont and my motors last. High rpm
> for the first few minutes of operation is bad at -20 it can take a
> minute to curculate oil, think about the piston-cilinder walls, google
> Cold startup oil starvation.


Yet another reason to stop cheaping out and to use synthetic oil. Instantly
circulates no matter how cold.



  Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2018, 12:33 pm   #9 (permalink)
jossytech4u@gmail.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: idle speeds for the '99 Camry

On Tuesday, March 16, 2010 at 12:01:25 AM UTC+1, Michael wrote:
> What are normal idle speeds for the '99 Camry, when cold, and when
> warm?


What is normal for v4 engine, mine stand on 1000
  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:40 am.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.