Question about Previa and Camry motor

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Sep 2004, 06:35 pm   #1 (permalink)
outbound
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Question about Previa and Camry motor

I was once told by a Previa owner that the Previa motor is the same as
the Camry that the rings are gold and that the engine is considered to
be "bullet proof and generally can go for 200-300 miles can anyone
verify this?
Thanks I have 94 Previa for sale or trade if anyone is interested
it's posted on alt.autos.toyota.
  Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2004, 07:13 pm   #2 (permalink)
Ray O
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Question about Previa and Camry motor


"outbound" <natl@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:7414bec2.0409281535.2f9316fe@posting.google.c om...
>I was once told by a Previa owner that the Previa motor is the same as
> the Camry


Incorrect - the Previa motor is not the same as the Camry.

>that the rings are gold


Incorrect - the engine rings are not gold. Maybe your friend was referring
to the "gold package" emblems with the authentic gold-tone emblem?

and that the engine is considered to
> be "bullet proof and generally can go for 200-300 miles can anyone
> verify this?


Between lease, purchase, and company vehicles, I probably drove a dozen or
so Previas, and every single one lasted well over 300 miles!

> Thanks I have 94 Previa for sale or trade if anyone is interested



We got rid of our 93 Previa a year and a half ago year with 95,000 miles,
the only non-maintenance repair was a starter.
All our friends had shiny new vehicles, and after driving the same van for
10 years, the Mrs. was beginning to want one too. I offered to wax the
Previa but she had her heart set on wonna dem Sequoias and I was tired of
being celibate so we got the Sequoia.

The Sequoia made it past the 300 mile mark and is now going on 24,000
trouble-free miles. 0 repairs, only oil changes and tire rotations so far.
My only complaint with the Sequoia is that it is so sure-footed that it
takes all of the fun out of driving in the snow. No more drifting around
corners on snowy streets or rocking through snowbanks, even in 2WD ;(

Ray O


  Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2004, 07:45 pm   #3 (permalink)
ma_twain
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Question about Previa and Camry motor

Ray O wrote:

> "outbound" <natl@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:7414bec2.0409281535.2f9316fe@posting.google.c om...
>
>>I was once told by a Previa owner that the Previa motor is the same as
>>the Camry
>>

>
> Incorrect - the Previa motor is not the same as the Camry.
>
>
>>that the rings are gold
>>

>
> Incorrect - the engine rings are not gold. Maybe your friend was referring
> to the "gold package" emblems with the authentic gold-tone emblem?
>
> and that the engine is considered to
>
>>be "bullet proof and generally can go for 200-300 miles can anyone
>>verify this?
>>

>
> Between lease, purchase, and company vehicles, I probably drove a dozen or
> so Previas, and every single one lasted well over 300 miles!
>
>
>>Thanks I have 94 Previa for sale or trade if anyone is interested
>>

>
>
> We got rid of our 93 Previa a year and a half ago year with 95,000 miles,
> the only non-maintenance repair was a starter.
> All our friends had shiny new vehicles, and after driving the same van for
> 10 years, the Mrs. was beginning to want one too. I offered to wax the
> Previa but she had her heart set on wonna dem Sequoias and I was tired of
> being celibate so we got the Sequoia.
>
> The Sequoia made it past the 300 mile mark and is now going on 24,000
> trouble-free miles. 0 repairs, only oil changes and tire rotations so far.
> My only complaint with the Sequoia is that it is so sure-footed that it
> takes all of the fun out of driving in the snow. No more drifting around
> corners on snowy streets or rocking through snowbanks, even in 2WD ;(
>
> Ray O
>
>
>


If you want the drift - increase the speed or use worn out tires :-)

  Reply With Quote
Old 29 Sep 2004, 10:26 am   #4 (permalink)
Ray O
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Question about Previa and Camry motor


"ma_twain" <ma_twain@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:415A05A5.2070906@yahoo.com...
>>
>>

>
> If you want the drift - increase the speed or use worn out tires :-)
>


Thanks for the advice! I'll get my grinder and start working on the excess
tread on the tires!


--
Ray O
correct the return address punctuation to reply


  Reply With Quote
Old 29 Sep 2004, 07:30 pm   #5 (permalink)
ma_twain
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Question about Previa and Camry motor

Ray O wrote:

> "ma_twain" <ma_twain@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:415A05A5.2070906@yahoo.com...
>
>>>

>>If you want the drift - increase the speed or use worn out tires :-)
>>
>>

>
> Thanks for the advice! I'll get my grinder and start working on the excess
> tread on the tires!
>
>
>


Does your Sequoia have the vehicle stability system? That can take all
the fun out of trying to drift - even with worn out tires.

  Reply With Quote
Old 29 Sep 2004, 10:44 pm   #6 (permalink)
Bruce L. Bergman
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Question about Previa and Camry motor

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 20:30:22 -0400, ma_twain <ma_twain@yahoo.com>
wrote:
>Ray O wrote:
>> "ma_twain" <ma_twain@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> news:415A05A5.2070906@yahoo.com...


>>>If you want the drift - increase the speed or use worn out tires :-)

>>
>> Thanks for the advice! I'll get my grinder and start working on the excess
>> tread on the tires!

>
>Does your Sequoia have the vehicle stability system? That can take all
>the fun out of trying to drift - even with worn out tires.


Two thoughts: If you want to get the tread down on the tires,
you'll be far better off to find a tire store that sells to racers -
they have automatic tire shaving machinery that can take the tread
down to exactly where you want it, and do it evenly.

Seems there are a lot of race series, autocross and slalom events
that call for "DOT-rated Street Legal Tires" but if you drive really
hard on brand-new tires the tread rips chunks off. Get them shaved
down halfway, and they work a lot better on the performance edge.

And if you want even more excitement, there should be an easy way to
put an On/Off switch on the stability system. Find out which fuse you
need to pull to kill it, and wire up a switch. Then you can go out
and play going sideways in the snow, without the computer trying to
rain on your parade.

--<< Bruce >>--

--
Bruce L. Bergman, Woodland Hills (Los Angeles) CA - Desktop
Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545
Spamtrapped address: Remove the python and the invalid, and use a net.
  Reply With Quote
Old 30 Sep 2004, 11:33 am   #7 (permalink)
Ray O
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Question about Previa and Camry motor


"ma_twain" <ma_twain@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:415B539E.3020903@yahoo.com...
> Ray O wrote:
>
>> "ma_twain" <ma_twain@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> news:415A05A5.2070906@yahoo.com...
>>
>>>>
>>>If you want the drift - increase the speed or use worn out tires :-)
>>>
>>>

>>
>> Thanks for the advice! I'll get my grinder and start working on the
>> excess tread on the tires!
>>
>>
>>

>
> Does your Sequoia have the vehicle stability system? That can take all the
> fun out of trying to drift - even with worn out tires.
>

Yup, it does, although the only time I've ever been able to activate it is
in a parking lot with the steering wheel cranked hard, in 2WD, on fresh
snow, and the throttle floored, and then only for a moment.

As a former Toyota employee, I probably had over 50 different company
vehicles. Being able to change vehicles every 3-6 months according to
anticipated needs was a nice benefit. Sporty cars in nice weather, vans
when vacations are coming up, 4WD and AWD in winter, etc. The Sequoia is
the most sure-footed vehicle I have ever driven on slippery and unpaved
roads, even better than previous generation Land Cruisers. I haven't driven
a current generation Crusher so I can't compare with the Sequoia with it.
After the Sequoia and crusher, the next most sure-footed vehicle for bad
conditions was the All-Trac Camry.

Bummer having to pay for rides again!

--
Ray O
correct the return address punctuation to reply


  Reply With Quote
Old 30 Sep 2004, 11:44 am   #8 (permalink)
Ray O
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Question about Previa and Camry motor


"Bruce L. Bergman" <blPYTHONbergman@earthlink.invalid> wrote in message
news:3ovml01q5icuhb0u1indhsujj3hos5obpl@4ax.com...

>>Does your Sequoia have the vehicle stability system? That can take all
>>the fun out of trying to drift - even with worn out tires.

>
> Two thoughts: If you want to get the tread down on the tires,
> you'll be far better off to find a tire store that sells to racers -
> they have automatic tire shaving machinery that can take the tread
> down to exactly where you want it, and do it evenly.
>
> Seems there are a lot of race series, autocross and slalom events
> that call for "DOT-rated Street Legal Tires" but if you drive really
> hard on brand-new tires the tread rips chunks off. Get them shaved
> down halfway, and they work a lot better on the performance edge.
>
> And if you want even more excitement, there should be an easy way to
> put an On/Off switch on the stability system. Find out which fuse you
> need to pull to kill it, and wire up a switch. Then you can go out
> and play going sideways in the snow, without the computer trying to
> rain on your parade.
>
> --<< Bruce >>--
>

Bruce,

Thanks for the advice, but I think I'll pass. Just a wild guess, but I
suspect that my wife would not be a happy camper if I swapped tires or did
something to make her new ride start sliding around in the snow. Even
though she is originally from Maine, she does not have a sense of humor when
there is snow on the roads. Besides, I only get to drive the Sequoia on
family trips and camping/climbing trips when I'm hauling a full load.

For thrills, I'll just drive my RWD car that needs new tires and has a
stability control defeat switch!

--
Ray O
correct the return address punctuation to reply


  Reply With Quote
Old 09 Oct 2004, 12:13 pm   #9 (permalink)
Viperkiller
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Question about Previa and Camry motor

On 28 Sep 2004 16:35:28 -0700, natl@hotmail.com (outbound) wrote:

>I was once told by a Previa owner that the Previa motor is the same as
>the Camry that the rings are gold and that the engine is considered to
>be "bullet proof and generally can go for 200-300 miles can anyone
>verify this?
>Thanks I have 94 Previa for sale or trade if anyone is interested
>it's posted on alt.autos.toyota.



1) The Previa uses a 2.4L engine while the Camry's of the same year
used 2.2L engines so they are different. What he probably meant was
that it was based from the Camry's engine -- that's true.

2) Manufacturers never use gold for rings because they're too soft
and won't last. He probably meant that they're like gold and last
quite a long time. That's true. I have personally known people over
200k and 300k miles on them. Just make sure you maintain it properly.
  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:10 am.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.