95 Dome light & antenna

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Oct 2004, 02:57 pm   #1 (permalink)
William W. Plummer
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default 95 Dome light & antenna

Can anyone tell me how to replace the dome light in a 95 Camry. I
can't see how to get it apart! Prying the entire assembly out of the
ceiling doesn't feel right.

And, what's the trick for removing the antenna mast. I heard it was
something like holding in the AM/FM button when the radio is turned on.
But that doesn't work.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07 Oct 2004, 06:44 pm   #2 (permalink)
badgolferman
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 95 Dome light & antenna

William W. Plummer wrote:
> Can anyone tell me how to replace the dome light in a 95 Camry. I
> can't see how to get it apart! Prying the entire assembly out of the
> ceiling doesn't feel right.
>


I have a 94 but suspect it is similar. Unfortunately the only way I was
able to do it was to pry the clear plastic away from the housing. A small
straight screwdriver should do the trick. You will probably leave a dent in
the plastic but at least it will be easy to get it open next time.

> And, what's the trick for removing the antenna mast. I heard it was
> something like holding in the AM/FM button when the radio is turned
> on. But that doesn't work.


If your antenna mast is on the rear quarter panel like mine then you have to
remove the carpeted trim in the trunk where the antenna is. Then you
disconnect the antenna cable and if I remember right the nut that holds it
in is the one on the outside. A pair of visegrips with a towel to protect
the chrome should do the trick.


  Reply With Quote
Old 09 Oct 2004, 02:03 am   #3 (permalink)
ali
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 95 Dome light & antenna

If I assume correctly that the mast is bent or broken, use a thin pair of
long nose pliers or a similar to remove the locking nut around the base of
the mast, turn power on to the radio to extend the mast to the max. and then
pull the broken/ bent mast out..fitting a new mast is a reversal of this
procedure.
Ali.
"William W. Plummer" <William.Plummer@alum.mit.edu> wrote in message
news:vch9d.207053$D%.130020@attbi_s51...
> Can anyone tell me how to replace the dome light in a 95 Camry. I
> can't see how to get it apart! Prying the entire assembly out of the
> ceiling doesn't feel right.
>
> And, what's the trick for removing the antenna mast. I heard it was
> something like holding in the AM/FM button when the radio is turned on.
> But that doesn't work.



  Reply With Quote
Old 09 Oct 2004, 07:02 pm   #4 (permalink)
William W. Plummer
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 95 Dome light & antenna

ali wrote:
> If I assume correctly that the mast is bent or broken, use a thin pair of
> long nose pliers or a similar to remove the locking nut around the base of
> the mast, turn power on to the radio to extend the mast to the max. and then
> pull the broken/ bent mast out..fitting a new mast is a reversal of this
> procedure.
> Ali.
> "William W. Plummer" <William.Plummer@alum.mit.edu> wrote in message
> news:vch9d.207053$D%.130020@attbi_s51...
>
>>Can anyone tell me how to replace the dome light in a 95 Camry. I
>>can't see how to get it apart! Prying the entire assembly out of the
>>ceiling doesn't feel right.
>>
>>And, what's the trick for removing the antenna mast. I heard it was
>>something like holding in the AM/FM button when the radio is turned on.
>> But that doesn't work.


Thanks for the advice. Is there a proceedure to force the antenna
mechanism to expell the mast? I seem to recall something about holding
in the AM-FM button while turning on the radio power.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10 Oct 2004, 04:26 am   #5 (permalink)
ali
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 95 Dome light & antenna

i suggest you try that, if not brute force and ignorance!! I have removed &
replaced the mast on my nissan ok and i think they all work in a generally
similar manner, a bit fiddly to get the new mast in place but as soonas it
takes up on the gear train inside you are away laughing, the only problem
could be if there is a broken part of the nylon inner core stuck inside the
unit in which case the motor unit will have to be stripped down.
"William W. Plummer" <William.Plummer@alum.mit.edu> wrote in message
news:r__9d.219647$D%.82207@attbi_s51...
> ali wrote:
>> If I assume correctly that the mast is bent or broken, use a thin pair of
>> long nose pliers or a similar to remove the locking nut around the base
>> of
>> the mast, turn power on to the radio to extend the mast to the max. and
>> then
>> pull the broken/ bent mast out..fitting a new mast is a reversal of this
>> procedure.
>> Ali.
>> "William W. Plummer" <William.Plummer@alum.mit.edu> wrote in message
>> news:vch9d.207053$D%.130020@attbi_s51...
>>
>>>Can anyone tell me how to replace the dome light in a 95 Camry. I
>>>can't see how to get it apart! Prying the entire assembly out of the
>>>ceiling doesn't feel right.
>>>
>>>And, what's the trick for removing the antenna mast. I heard it was
>>>something like holding in the AM/FM button when the radio is turned on.
>>> But that doesn't work.

>
> Thanks for the advice. Is there a proceedure to force the antenna
> mechanism to expell the mast? I seem to recall something about holding
> in the AM-FM button while turning on the radio power.



  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:36 pm.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.