Headlight alignment info needed - 2002 Camry

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Oct 2004, 09:22 pm   #1 (permalink)
Car Guy
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Headlight alignment info needed - 2002 Camry

I find my left headlight is lower then the right. Can someone tell me how
to adjust it so that they are level?

thanks


  Reply With Quote
Old 11 Oct 2004, 11:44 pm   #2 (permalink)
Ray O
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Headlight alignment info needed - 2002 Camry



"Car Guy" <ac222@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:-JCdnRhnaNoO3fbcRVn-ig@rogers.com...
>I find my left headlight is lower then the right. Can someone tell me how
>to adjust it so that they are level?
>
> thanks

With the car on level ground, preferably with the headlights pointing to a
"target" like a garage door or wall, turn the headlight vertical adjusting
screw on whichever side you're trying to adjust. The vertical adjustment
screw is usually oriented vertically and the horizontal adjustment screw is
usually oriented horizontally, sticking out from the back of the headlight
assy
--
Ray O
correct the return address punctuation to reply


  Reply With Quote
Old 12 Oct 2004, 08:41 am   #3 (permalink)
ROBMURR
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Headlight alignment info needed - 2002 Camry

supposed to be that way so you dont
blind oncoming drivers.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12 Oct 2004, 04:02 pm   #4 (permalink)
Car Guy
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Headlight alignment info needed - 2002 Camry

I just had a look and do not see any screws that govern the
horizontal/vertical movement

can someone send me a diagram that will show me what to look for please? my
email is ac222@hotmail.com

"Ray O" <rokigawa@tristarassociatesDOTcom> wrote in message
news:d6741$416b62df$180ffc74$20116@msgid.meganewss ervers.com...
>
>
> "Car Guy" <ac222@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:-JCdnRhnaNoO3fbcRVn-ig@rogers.com...
>>I find my left headlight is lower then the right. Can someone tell me how
>>to adjust it so that they are level?
>>
>> thanks

> With the car on level ground, preferably with the headlights pointing to a
> "target" like a garage door or wall, turn the headlight vertical adjusting
> screw on whichever side you're trying to adjust. The vertical adjustment
> screw is usually oriented vertically and the horizontal adjustment screw
> is usually oriented horizontally, sticking out from the back of the
> headlight assy
> --
> Ray O
> correct the return address punctuation to reply
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 12 Oct 2004, 06:05 pm   #5 (permalink)
Daniel M. Dreifus
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Headlight alignment info needed - 2002 Camry

"Car Guy" <ac222@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<-JCdnRhnaNoO3fbcRVn-ig@rogers.com>...
> I find my left headlight is lower then the right. Can someone tell me how
> to adjust it so that they are level?


I seem to remember it goes like this, which I liked better than the
$80 headlight adjustment I paid for at the dealer:

Park twenty five feet from a vertical wall, on a level surface. My
local elementary school parking lot had a concrete block wall with
mortar lines about one foot apart, so I didn't have to make any marks
on the wall. Made the marks on a small sheet of plywood in my garage,
and could easily see the correct height by the mortar joints in the
wall. You're not going to have accuracy down to the last sixteenth of
an inch, but can align the upper portion of the beam cutoff pretty
closely. If it is under the horizontal centerline of the headlamp
height, you're not going to be creating glare for other motorists.
Measure the distance from the ground to the center of each headlight.
Duplicate this measurement on the wall and draw a horizontal line two
inches below it.
Measure the centerline of the car, and the distance of each headlight
from centerline, and put a vertical mark on the wall at the headlight
centerline.
Best to have the trunk empty, half tank of gas and no passengers.
Use a ratchet wrench to turn the adjusting screws near the headlights
under the hood. You have to turn them quite a number of times to
effect any noticeable adjustment.
Test drive on a dark night, making sure the headlight pattern is
properly centered in your lane, and not shining into other car
windshields.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12 Oct 2004, 06:08 pm   #6 (permalink)
Ray O
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Headlight alignment info needed - 2002 Camry


"Car Guy" <ac222@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:I4KdnRrrx8jH2_HcRVn-qA@rogers.com...
>I just had a look and do not see any screws that govern the
>horizontal/vertical movement
>
> can someone send me a diagram that will show me what to look for please?
> my email is ac222@hotmail.com
>



Sorry, in my previous post, I made some assumptions even though I know that
assuming is not a good thing.

I don't have access to any kind of diagram and I have not specifically
looked for a headlight adjustment screw in a 2002 Camry but I have never
come across a modern vehicle without some means to adjust the headlights so
I assumed that the '02 Camry has adjustment screws. Can someone out there
confirm or deny?

I assumed you were opening the hood to look for the adjustment screws but
maybe that's an erroneous assumption. In most modern vehicles, you need to
open the hood to find the headlight adjustment screws. They are not
accessible from the front of the car next to the bulb like in the old round
and rectangular headlights.

I'll try some hints with more specific instructions...
In general, to find the adjusting screws for a vehicle with aerodynamic
headlights,
1) If the vehicle is running, stop on a level surface about 3 or 4 feet away
from a wall (a closed garage door works well).
2) Shut off engine, put automatic transmission in park or manual
transmission in gear, set parking brake.
3) Turn on your headlights
4) Open the hood
5) Stand in front of the vehicle
6) Move in front of the headlight you're trying to adjust and look down at
top of the headlight housing.
7) Still looking down at the top of the headlight housing, you should see
the top of a screw. That screw is the vertical (up and down) adjustment
screw. Turn the screw one way and the headlight will move up, turn it the
other way, it will move down.
8) Once you have found the vertical adjustment screw, stand to the side of
the headlight so that it shines on the wall you parked in front of.
9) As you turn the screw, keep track of how many turns you have made and
whether you are turning clockwise or counter-clockwise and whether brightest
spot on the wall (known as a hot spot) moves up or down. You want the hot
spot for the left and right side to be no higher than straight ahead and
definitely not pointing up so that you headlights don't shine in oncoming
driver's eyes.
10) Still looking down at the top of the headlight housing, look behind the
headlight housing and you will see another screw in a horizontal position
(sideways) sticking out from the left or right side of the housing. That
screw is the horizontal adjustment and controls whether the headlight shines
left, right, or straight ahead. You want both headlights to be pointing
straight ahead, and not towards the left if you're in an area that drives on
the right side of the road or to the right if you're in an area that drives
on the left side of the road. In either case, straight ahead is best.
11) Close the hood, make sure it latches securely, and sit in the driver's
seat and see if the headlights look like they're pointed straight ahead. If
they do, you're done. If they don't go back to Step 4 above and start over.

Good luck!
--
Ray O
correct the return address punctuation to reply


  Reply With Quote
Old 12 Oct 2004, 06:12 pm   #7 (permalink)
Car Guy
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Headlight alignment info needed - 2002 Camry

Hi Ray,

I opened the hood and looked and did not see anything. I will have to look
again. A picture of what to look for would be worth 1000 words at this
point.

Thanks
"Ray O" <rokigawa@tristarassociatesDOTcom> wrote in message
news:f5bc$416c6408$44a4a10d$13603@msgid.meganewsse rvers.com...
>
> "Car Guy" <ac222@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:I4KdnRrrx8jH2_HcRVn-qA@rogers.com...
>>I just had a look and do not see any screws that govern the
>>horizontal/vertical movement
>>
>> can someone send me a diagram that will show me what to look for please?
>> my email is ac222@hotmail.com
>>

>
>
> Sorry, in my previous post, I made some assumptions even though I know
> that assuming is not a good thing.
>
> I don't have access to any kind of diagram and I have not specifically
> looked for a headlight adjustment screw in a 2002 Camry but I have never
> come across a modern vehicle without some means to adjust the headlights
> so I assumed that the '02 Camry has adjustment screws. Can someone out
> there confirm or deny?
>
> I assumed you were opening the hood to look for the adjustment screws but
> maybe that's an erroneous assumption. In most modern vehicles, you need
> to open the hood to find the headlight adjustment screws. They are not
> accessible from the front of the car next to the bulb like in the old
> round and rectangular headlights.
>
> I'll try some hints with more specific instructions...
> In general, to find the adjusting screws for a vehicle with aerodynamic
> headlights,
> 1) If the vehicle is running, stop on a level surface about 3 or 4 feet
> away from a wall (a closed garage door works well).
> 2) Shut off engine, put automatic transmission in park or manual
> transmission in gear, set parking brake.
> 3) Turn on your headlights
> 4) Open the hood
> 5) Stand in front of the vehicle
> 6) Move in front of the headlight you're trying to adjust and look down at
> top of the headlight housing.
> 7) Still looking down at the top of the headlight housing, you should see
> the top of a screw. That screw is the vertical (up and down) adjustment
> screw. Turn the screw one way and the headlight will move up, turn it the
> other way, it will move down.
> 8) Once you have found the vertical adjustment screw, stand to the side of
> the headlight so that it shines on the wall you parked in front of.
> 9) As you turn the screw, keep track of how many turns you have made and
> whether you are turning clockwise or counter-clockwise and whether
> brightest spot on the wall (known as a hot spot) moves up or down. You
> want the hot spot for the left and right side to be no higher than
> straight ahead and definitely not pointing up so that you headlights don't
> shine in oncoming driver's eyes.
> 10) Still looking down at the top of the headlight housing, look behind
> the headlight housing and you will see another screw in a horizontal
> position (sideways) sticking out from the left or right side of the
> housing. That screw is the horizontal adjustment and controls whether the
> headlight shines left, right, or straight ahead. You want both headlights
> to be pointing straight ahead, and not towards the left if you're in an
> area that drives on the right side of the road or to the right if you're
> in an area that drives on the left side of the road. In either case,
> straight ahead is best.
> 11) Close the hood, make sure it latches securely, and sit in the driver's
> seat and see if the headlights look like they're pointed straight ahead.
> If they do, you're done. If they don't go back to Step 4 above and start
> over.
>
> Good luck!
> --
> Ray O
> correct the return address punctuation to reply
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 12 Oct 2004, 09:17 pm   #8 (permalink)
ma_twain
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Headlight alignment info needed - 2002 Camry

You may want to take it to a shop. Since you are having problems
finding the headlight aiming screws, I have to ask, do you know the
headlight alignment specifications? Perhaps the left(driver's) headlight
is aimed alittle low so it does not blind oncoming traffic - asssuming
you drive on the right side fo the road.

Car Guy wrote:

> Hi Ray,
>
> I opened the hood and looked and did not see anything. I will have to look
> again. A picture of what to look for would be worth 1000 words at this
> point.
>
> Thanks
> "Ray O" <rokigawa@tristarassociatesDOTcom> wrote in message
> news:f5bc$416c6408$44a4a10d$13603@msgid.meganewsse rvers.com...
>
>>"Car Guy" <ac222@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>news:I4KdnRrrx8jH2_HcRVn-qA@rogers.com...
>>
>>>I just had a look and do not see any screws that govern the
>>>horizontal/vertical movement
>>>
>>>can someone send me a diagram that will show me what to look for please?
>>>my email is ac222@hotmail.com
>>>
>>>

>>
>>Sorry, in my previous post, I made some assumptions even though I know
>>that assuming is not a good thing.
>>
>>I don't have access to any kind of diagram and I have not specifically
>>looked for a headlight adjustment screw in a 2002 Camry but I have never
>>come across a modern vehicle without some means to adjust the headlights
>>so I assumed that the '02 Camry has adjustment screws. Can someone out
>>there confirm or deny?
>>
>>I assumed you were opening the hood to look for the adjustment screws but
>>maybe that's an erroneous assumption. In most modern vehicles, you need
>>to open the hood to find the headlight adjustment screws. They are not
>>accessible from the front of the car next to the bulb like in the old
>>round and rectangular headlights.
>>
>>I'll try some hints with more specific instructions...
>>In general, to find the adjusting screws for a vehicle with aerodynamic
>>headlights,
>>1) If the vehicle is running, stop on a level surface about 3 or 4 feet
>>away from a wall (a closed garage door works well).
>>2) Shut off engine, put automatic transmission in park or manual
>>transmission in gear, set parking brake.
>>3) Turn on your headlights
>>4) Open the hood
>>5) Stand in front of the vehicle
>>6) Move in front of the headlight you're trying to adjust and look down at
>>top of the headlight housing.
>>7) Still looking down at the top of the headlight housing, you should see
>>the top of a screw. That screw is the vertical (up and down) adjustment
>>screw. Turn the screw one way and the headlight will move up, turn it the
>>other way, it will move down.
>>8) Once you have found the vertical adjustment screw, stand to the side of
>>the headlight so that it shines on the wall you parked in front of.
>>9) As you turn the screw, keep track of how many turns you have made and
>>whether you are turning clockwise or counter-clockwise and whether
>>brightest spot on the wall (known as a hot spot) moves up or down. You
>>want the hot spot for the left and right side to be no higher than
>>straight ahead and definitely not pointing up so that you headlights don't
>>shine in oncoming driver's eyes.
>>10) Still looking down at the top of the headlight housing, look behind
>>the headlight housing and you will see another screw in a horizontal
>>position (sideways) sticking out from the left or right side of the
>>housing. That screw is the horizontal adjustment and controls whether the
>>headlight shines left, right, or straight ahead. You want both headlights
>>to be pointing straight ahead, and not towards the left if you're in an
>>area that drives on the right side of the road or to the right if you're
>>in an area that drives on the left side of the road. In either case,
>>straight ahead is best.
>>11) Close the hood, make sure it latches securely, and sit in the driver's
>>seat and see if the headlights look like they're pointed straight ahead.
>>If they do, you're done. If they don't go back to Step 4 above and start
>>over.
>>
>>Good luck!
>>--
>>Ray O
>>correct the return address punctuation to reply
>>
>>

>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 13 Oct 2004, 10:35 am   #9 (permalink)
Chicken
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Headlight alignment info needed - 2002 Camry

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 22:22:35 -0400, "Car Guy" <ac222@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I find my left headlight is lower then the right. Can someone tell me how
>to adjust it so that they are level?
>
>thanks
>

What I was taught was that the left light points 50 ft. in front of
the the middle of the car, and that the right points 75ft straight
ahead <to pick up Deer running up out of the ditch >.
  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:52 am.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.