88 LeBaron vs 98 Camry

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Oct 2004, 08:12 pm   #1 (permalink)
Ken
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default 88 LeBaron vs 98 Camry

Here is a comparion for the 2 cars I still have.

-1988 LeBaron GTS 2.2 Turbo -1998 Camry 2.2L 4 Cyclinder
-Bought it in 1989 with 6K Miles -Bought it in 2001 with 32K
miles
-Has 250K miles and running -Has 120K miles and running
-No fluid leak -No fluid leak
-Replaced 1 water pump -Replaced 1 water pump at
60K miles with timing belt
-Replaced 1 time belt
-All dash lights still work -2 Dash lights went
out, Speedometer and fan speed switch
(Dealer
won't fix under my bumper to bumper warranty)
-Original 3 speed transmission -Original 4 speed
transmission, buzzing when driving in very wet road.
(Dealer
won't check because the road was dry)
-Lots of wind and engine noise -Very quite
-Car roll a lot during sharp turns -Handle much better
than the LeBaron
-Brakes have no problems -Have brake problem since
day one, replaced 2 sets of rear drums
-Dealer
won't test drive the car without charging me, because the
brake
problem appear after a long drive (10 miles) on highway and braking
on exit
ramp.
-No ABS -Has ABS
-Replaced Steering Rack -Steering is still good.
-Wheels are good -Found out all four
wheels are not round a year later, needs to replaced them all,
ride
much better now

Well, I have better luck and service with the LeBaron for the past 15 years.
The Toyota is still a more dependable car and I usually take it for long
trips. But I have a problem with the 2 Toyota Dealers I dealt with. My next
car will be a Honda.

Kenny








  Reply With Quote
Old 29 Oct 2004, 08:41 am   #2 (permalink)
Joe AutoDrill
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 88 LeBaron vs 98 Camry

> Well, I have better luck and service with the LeBaron for the past 15
years.
> The Toyota is still a more dependable car and I usually take it for long
> trips. But I have a problem with the 2 Toyota Dealers I dealt with. My

next
> car will be a Honda.


Have fun with the Honda. About the same reliability as the Toyota. 2%
better or worse depnding on the stats you read.

If you want reliability, get a Hyundai. I HATE to say it, but their stats
are the top rated.
--


Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
http://www.autodrill.com
http://www.multi-spindle-heads.com

V8013



  Reply With Quote
Old 29 Oct 2004, 10:43 am   #3 (permalink)
EL FORY
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 88 LeBaron vs 98 Camry

HYUNDAI??????????????

no way!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--
EL FORY - "I still have the sun to kiss your shadow"



"Joe AutoDrill" <spam.news.spam.individual.net@youthelate.com> wrote in
message news:2uevksF28v6rjU1@uni-berlin.de...
> > Well, I have better luck and service with the LeBaron for the past 15

> years.
> > The Toyota is still a more dependable car and I usually take it for long
> > trips. But I have a problem with the 2 Toyota Dealers I dealt with. My

> next
> > car will be a Honda.

>
> Have fun with the Honda. About the same reliability as the Toyota. 2%
> better or worse depnding on the stats you read.
>
> If you want reliability, get a Hyundai. I HATE to say it, but their stats
> are the top rated.
> --
>
>
> Regards,
> Joe Agro, Jr.
> http://www.autodrill.com
> http://www.multi-spindle-heads.com
>
> V8013
>
>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 29 Oct 2004, 02:53 pm   #4 (permalink)
Joe AutoDrill
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 88 LeBaron vs 98 Camry

Check the stats... My gut reaction too. In fact, my gut reaction (probably
based on the 80's cars they made) would still probably keep me from buying
one, but they do have the best records right now.

--


Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
http://www.autodrill.com
http://www.multi-spindle-heads.com

V8013


"EL FORY" <no@email.com> wrote in message
news:4stgd.21$ia4.5020@okeanos.csu.net...
> HYUNDAI??????????????
>
> no way!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> --
> EL FORY - "I still have the sun to kiss your shadow"
>
>
>
> "Joe AutoDrill" <spam.news.spam.individual.net@youthelate.com> wrote in
> message news:2uevksF28v6rjU1@uni-berlin.de...
> > > Well, I have better luck and service with the LeBaron for the past 15

> > years.
> > > The Toyota is still a more dependable car and I usually take it for

long
> > > trips. But I have a problem with the 2 Toyota Dealers I dealt with. My

> > next
> > > car will be a Honda.

> >
> > Have fun with the Honda. About the same reliability as the Toyota. 2%
> > better or worse depnding on the stats you read.
> >
> > If you want reliability, get a Hyundai. I HATE to say it, but their

stats
> > are the top rated.
> > --
> >
> >
> > Regards,
> > Joe Agro, Jr.
> > http://www.autodrill.com
> > http://www.multi-spindle-heads.com
> >
> > V8013
> >
> >
> >

>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 29 Oct 2004, 04:50 pm   #5 (permalink)
Matt Whiting
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 88 LeBaron vs 98 Camry

Ken wrote:

> Here is a comparion for the 2 cars I still have.
>
> -1988 LeBaron GTS 2.2 Turbo -1998 Camry 2.2L 4 Cyclinder
> -Bought it in 1989 with 6K Miles -Bought it in 2001 with 32K
> miles
> -Has 250K miles and running -Has 120K miles and running
> -No fluid leak -No fluid leak
> -Replaced 1 water pump -Replaced 1 water pump at
> 60K miles with timing belt
> -Replaced 1 time belt
> -All dash lights still work -2 Dash lights went
> out, Speedometer and fan speed switch
> (Dealer
> won't fix under my bumper to bumper warranty)
> -Original 3 speed transmission -Original 4 speed
> transmission, buzzing when driving in very wet road.
> (Dealer
> won't check because the road was dry)
> -Lots of wind and engine noise -Very quite
> -Car roll a lot during sharp turns -Handle much better
> than the LeBaron
> -Brakes have no problems -Have brake problem since
> day one, replaced 2 sets of rear drums
> -Dealer
> won't test drive the car without charging me, because the
> brake
> problem appear after a long drive (10 miles) on highway and braking
> on exit
> ramp.
> -No ABS -Has ABS
> -Replaced Steering Rack -Steering is still good.
> -Wheels are good -Found out all four
> wheels are not round a year later, needs to replaced them all,
> ride
> much better now
>
> Well, I have better luck and service with the LeBaron for the past 15 years.
> The Toyota is still a more dependable car and I usually take it for long
> trips. But I have a problem with the 2 Toyota Dealers I dealt with. My next
> car will be a Honda.
>
> Kenny


Good luck. The single worst car I've owned was a 1984 Honda Accord I
purchased new.


Matt

  Reply With Quote
Old 29 Oct 2004, 05:25 pm   #6 (permalink)
EL FORY
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 88 LeBaron vs 98 Camry

See, buy one now, and it can be as good as a Stealth plane, but what about
in 5, 7, or 10 years??

I've seen 1990's Camrys that run and feel like new, that's 14 years !!.

Again, I'm stuck with Toyotas; I've never had a Honda, but it seems that
they're very reliable too.
I've had 2 VW's ['85 Golf and '90 Jetta], and even though there were 5 years
apart, they both were very bad cars; specially the electrical system and
suspension.
Ford's are out of the map; I won't waste my time talking about them.

My Brother in law has had 3 Toyota pickup trucks, my brother has a Corolla,
my dad has 2 Camrys, and I have a 2001 4Runner and a '96 Camry; No major
problems whatsoever on all of those cars.

In conclusion, if something works for you, stick with it!!!

--
EL FORY - "I still have the sun to kiss your shadow"



"Joe AutoDrill" <spam.news.spam.individual.net@youthelate.com> wrote in
message news:2ufldqF2a4fs6U1@uni-berlin.de...
> Check the stats... My gut reaction too. In fact, my gut reaction

(probably
> based on the 80's cars they made) would still probably keep me from buying
> one, but they do have the best records right now.
>
> --
>
>
> Regards,
> Joe Agro, Jr.
> http://www.autodrill.com
> http://www.multi-spindle-heads.com
>
> V8013
>
>
> "EL FORY" <no@email.com> wrote in message
> news:4stgd.21$ia4.5020@okeanos.csu.net...
> > HYUNDAI??????????????
> >
> > no way!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> >
> > --
> > EL FORY - "I still have the sun to kiss your shadow"
> >
> >
> >
> > "Joe AutoDrill" <spam.news.spam.individual.net@youthelate.com> wrote in
> > message news:2uevksF28v6rjU1@uni-berlin.de...
> > > > Well, I have better luck and service with the LeBaron for the past

15
> > > years.
> > > > The Toyota is still a more dependable car and I usually take it for

> long
> > > > trips. But I have a problem with the 2 Toyota Dealers I dealt with.

My
> > > next
> > > > car will be a Honda.
> > >
> > > Have fun with the Honda. About the same reliability as the Toyota.

2%
> > > better or worse depnding on the stats you read.
> > >
> > > If you want reliability, get a Hyundai. I HATE to say it, but their

> stats
> > > are the top rated.
> > > --
> > >
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Joe Agro, Jr.
> > > http://www.autodrill.com
> > > http://www.multi-spindle-heads.com
> > >
> > > V8013
> > >
> > >
> > >

> >
> >

>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 29 Oct 2004, 11:05 pm   #7 (permalink)
nospam.clare.nce@sny.der.on.ca
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 88 LeBaron vs 98 Camry

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 17:50:42 -0400, Matt Whiting
<whiting@chilitech.net> wrote:

>Ken wrote:
>
>> Here is a comparion for the 2 cars I still have.
>>
>> -1988 LeBaron GTS 2.2 Turbo -1998 Camry 2.2L 4 Cyclinder
>> -Bought it in 1989 with 6K Miles -Bought it in 2001 with 32K
>> miles
>> -Has 250K miles and running -Has 120K miles and running
>> -No fluid leak -No fluid leak
>> -Replaced 1 water pump -Replaced 1 water pump at
>> 60K miles with timing belt
>> -Replaced 1 time belt
>> -All dash lights still work -2 Dash lights went
>> out, Speedometer and fan speed switch
>> (Dealer
>> won't fix under my bumper to bumper warranty)
>> -Original 3 speed transmission -Original 4 speed
>> transmission, buzzing when driving in very wet road.
>> (Dealer
>> won't check because the road was dry)
>> -Lots of wind and engine noise -Very quite
>> -Car roll a lot during sharp turns -Handle much better
>> than the LeBaron
>> -Brakes have no problems -Have brake problem since
>> day one, replaced 2 sets of rear drums
>> -Dealer
>> won't test drive the car without charging me, because the
>> brake
>> problem appear after a long drive (10 miles) on highway and braking
>> on exit
>> ramp.
>> -No ABS -Has ABS
>> -Replaced Steering Rack -Steering is still good.
>> -Wheels are good -Found out all four
>> wheels are not round a year later, needs to replaced them all,
>> ride
>> much better now
>>
>> Well, I have better luck and service with the LeBaron for the past 15 years.
>> The Toyota is still a more dependable car and I usually take it for long
>> trips. But I have a problem with the 2 Toyota Dealers I dealt with. My next
>> car will be a Honda.
>>
>> Kenny

>
>Good luck. The single worst car I've owned was a 1984 Honda Accord I
>purchased new.
>
>
>Matt

And the worst vehicle I ever owned was the only brand new vehicle I
ever owned - a 1976 Dodge Ramcharger SE. And I've owned some REAL
junk, according to what others say. My 1972 Firenza (Vauxhaul) was
only half as much trouble as that dodge. The 1967 Peugot came awfully
close.

Nothing made today and sold in Canada can be as bad as most vehicles
were in the late seventies to mid eighties. Honda went from extremely
poor to very, very good in the last 15 years. They have pretty well
caught up to Toyota. Nissan is getting close, as is Mazda.

The Koreans have snuck in almost un-noticed, after the Hyundai Pony
and Sonata fiascos, the current crop is VERY well designed and built -
much better than ANYTHING built in the mid eighties.
The Kia (owned by the same "mother" company) is also an exceptionally
well designed and excecuted vehicle.

Some of the local dealers leave a lot to be desired, but that can be
said of Toyota, Nissan, Mazda, Ford GM, Chrysler, Jag, Volvo - you
name it.

Meanwhile, Mitsubishi languishes in the shadows - building some of the
worst cars to be imported from Japan - and still better than the vast
majority built by anyone in the eighties.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01 Nov 2004, 06:00 pm   #8 (permalink)
Bill 2
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 88 LeBaron vs 98 Camry


"Joe AutoDrill" <spam.news.spam.individual.net@youthelate.com> wrote in
message news:2uevksF28v6rjU1@uni-berlin.de...
> > Well, I have better luck and service with the LeBaron for the past 15

> years.
> > The Toyota is still a more dependable car and I usually take it for long
> > trips. But I have a problem with the 2 Toyota Dealers I dealt with. My

> next
> > car will be a Honda.

>
> Have fun with the Honda. About the same reliability as the Toyota. 2%
> better or worse depnding on the stats you read.
>
> If you want reliability, get a Hyundai. I HATE to say it, but their stats
> are the top rated.


.. . .for initial build quality, which is good if you keep the car for a
year, but it's the long term that counts, so it will be a couple of years to
know how good modern Hyundais are in the long term. Now granted the modern
Hyundai is a lot better than the Pony of days gone by, but I don't know if
I'd call it exceptional quite yet.


  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:03 pm.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.