2 Starters later - still grinding noise at startup

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Nov 2004, 04:40 pm   #1 (permalink)
Poster Man
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default 2 Starters later - still grinding noise at startup

I have a 6cylinder '92 Toyota Camry LE. I just had a used engine put
in it (original had 236,000 before it gave up the ghost). Used engine
supposedly has about 95,000. I started having an occasional grinding
noise upon turning key - would happen once, then maybe not again for
the next 15 times or so, then would happen one more time, then not
again. I had the starter replaced. Still did it. I had the starter
replaced again. Just picked it up today - still doing it. Mechanic
said the flywheel looked ok - anybody have thoughts?

Thanks,
PosterMan
  Reply With Quote
Old 08 Nov 2004, 08:11 pm   #2 (permalink)
qslim
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 2 Starters later - still grinding noise at startup

Well, it has to be one of the things you mentioned. Did the tech look at
the entire perimiter of the flywheel, or did he just look at one part of
the ring gear thru the starter hole?? If you know the starter is correct
and working properly (most probably the case, as you replaced it twice),
then the problem is either with the mounting of the starter or the
flywheel. Is the engine EXACTLY the same as the original?? Maybe you have
the correct starter for your car, but not for new engine. Otherwise, make
sure the entire ring gear has been inspected for dead spots. Do this by
removing the starter and having someone manually turn the engine one
revolution whilst inspecting the ring gear through the starter hole.

  Reply With Quote
Old 09 Nov 2004, 09:11 am   #3 (permalink)
m Ransley
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 2 Starters later - still grinding noise at startup

Did he use a rebuilt or new unit, I went through 3 in 2 weeks once. Or
look good at flywheel while it is engaging

  Reply With Quote
Old 09 Nov 2004, 12:43 pm   #4 (permalink)
Poster Man
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 2 Starters later - still grinding noise at startup

He used a rebuilt (Napa). He said when they put used engine in, they
checked the flywheel carefully and it was fine. He is wondering if it
could possibly be ignition switch starting to wear some.

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 09:11:51 -0600, ransley@webtv.net (m Ransley)
wrote:

>Did he use a rebuilt or new unit, I went through 3 in 2 weeks once. Or
>look good at flywheel while it is engaging


  Reply With Quote
Old 09 Nov 2004, 12:46 pm   #5 (permalink)
Poster Man
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 2 Starters later - still grinding noise at startup

Yes, engine is the same (originally the used engine place sent him a
Lexus engine - that,needless to say, didn't fit). So I think this
time we did get the exact engine - I know he gave them the VIN number
of of my car - how they screwed up by sending a Lexus Engine the first
time is beyond me. I read the notes you guys posted to him and he
said yes, the flywheel is fine (checked carefully when putting new
engine in). He is pondering whether it might possibly be ignition
switch as well.

Thanks again for all your help!


On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 21:11:59 -0500, "qslim" <Suckers@suckers.com>
wrote:

>Well, it has to be one of the things you mentioned. Did the tech look at
>the entire perimiter of the flywheel, or did he just look at one part of
>the ring gear thru the starter hole?? If you know the starter is correct
>and working properly (most probably the case, as you replaced it twice),
>then the problem is either with the mounting of the starter or the
>flywheel. Is the engine EXACTLY the same as the original?? Maybe you have
>the correct starter for your car, but not for new engine. Otherwise, make
>sure the entire ring gear has been inspected for dead spots. Do this by
>removing the starter and having someone manually turn the engine one
>revolution whilst inspecting the ring gear through the starter hole.


  Reply With Quote
Old 09 Nov 2004, 01:35 pm   #6 (permalink)
m Ransley
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 2 Starters later - still grinding noise at startup

Ignition switch on the steering column? I thought the noise was from
the starter. A new genuine Toyota will work. Alot of rebuilts are not
rebuilt correctly.

  Reply With Quote
Old 09 Nov 2004, 01:54 pm   #7 (permalink)
qslim
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 2 Starters later - still grinding noise at startup

yeah, I suppose that an area of high resistance in the circuit would rob
the necessary current for the starter pinion to fully engage the wire.
I've seen that problem a few times, but the symptom was pretty much
constant. Perhaps a votage drop test is in order...
Lemee know what your guy finds, now I'm curious.

  Reply With Quote
Old 09 Nov 2004, 02:36 pm   #8 (permalink)
Poster Man
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 2 Starters later - still grinding noise at startup

Well it is from the starter. I'm not a mechanic so I'm not sure what
the ignition switch might have to do with it , other than the
suggestion that it isn't getting enough voltage perhaps. I can only
guess what a new Toyota starter would run me. whew. I'll check that
out - I'm sure it is gold plated. Maybe I'll call a Toyota svc
manager and see if they have any insights on this, although I'm sure
I'll hear the old refrain that I should bring it in and let them check
it out. $$$$



On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 13:35:30 -0600, ransley@webtv.net (m Ransley)
wrote:

>Ignition switch on the steering column? I thought the noise was from
>the starter. A new genuine Toyota will work. Alot of rebuilts are not
>rebuilt correctly.


  Reply With Quote
Old 09 Nov 2004, 08:28 pm   #9 (permalink)
Dick Byrd
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 2 Starters later - still grinding noise at startup

You have some bad teeth on the ring gear. Difficult to fix.
Dick

"Poster Man" <mark@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:1099953600.vMKt4DNIYXk1JtEk+chVYA@teranews...
>I have a 6cylinder '92 Toyota Camry LE. I just had a used engine put
> in it (original had 236,000 before it gave up the ghost). Used engine
> supposedly has about 95,000. I started having an occasional grinding
> noise upon turning key - would happen once, then maybe not again for
> the next 15 times or so, then would happen one more time, then not
> again. I had the starter replaced. Still did it. I had the starter
> replaced again. Just picked it up today - still doing it. Mechanic
> said the flywheel looked ok - anybody have thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
> PosterMan



  Reply With Quote
Old 09 Nov 2004, 09:12 pm   #10 (permalink)
W.T. MC GLYNN
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 2 Starters later - still grinding noise at startup

Just a guess.
Sometimes the starter has to be shimmed
to make sure the starter and fly wheel interface correctly.
Is the fly wheel 100 % true ?
Have them check the run-out on it.
Good Luck.

  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:21 am.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.