2004 camry standard

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Nov 2004, 09:06 am   #1 (permalink)
francis styles
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default 2004 camry standard

My 2004 Camry Standard came with power locks but no remote locking.
Toyota say the parts are $137 and the fitting about $300. The fitting
costs seem very high. All four doors are locked simultaneously by the
switch on the drivers door and so it would seem to be simple to install
the ECU in the same circuit. Since all other Camry versions come with
remote locking, presumably the cable loom is already there.

Can anyone advise?

  Reply With Quote
Old 14 Nov 2004, 03:16 am   #2 (permalink)
Viperkiller
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 2004 camry standard

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 15:06:00 GMT, francis styles <grammont@gte.net>
wrote:

>My 2004 Camry Standard came with power locks but no remote locking.
>Toyota say the parts are $137 and the fitting about $300. The fitting
>costs seem very high. All four doors are locked simultaneously by the
>switch on the drivers door and so it would seem to be simple to install
>the ECU in the same circuit. Since all other Camry versions come with
>remote locking, presumably the cable loom is already there.
>
>Can anyone advise?


The parts prices seem inline but $300 for labor is exorbitant. Are
you somewhat mechanically inclined? If so, you can install it
yourself.

My brother and I installed the alarm system in his wife's 2004 RAV4.
The dealer wanted $180. In 3 hours, we installed everything
ourselves. It took us both this long because we were very careful not
to scratch or break anything; something the dealer mechanics won't do.

If they have to do it for you, negotiate on the labor price. Call
other dealers if you have to. I would highly suggest you stick to the
factory Toyota system as opposed to aftermarket ones.
  Reply With Quote
Old 14 Nov 2004, 01:48 pm   #3 (permalink)
NoSpamForMe
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 2004 camry standard

Is the remote (un)locking system still available for a 1995 Camry LE ? I
don't need the alarm stuff, just the functionality which locks/unlocks the
doors and blinks the lights, etc. from the little remote keychain unit.

Any experiences with it, good or bad ? Would like to self-install it.

I know the car is 9 years old, but only 88,000 miles and still runs/looks
great. Plan to keep it as long as possible but my wife would like the
remote unlock for when she gets out of work in the evening and walks out
alone to the car in parking lot (reasonable request).


  Reply With Quote
Old 14 Nov 2004, 06:32 pm   #4 (permalink)
William W. Plummer
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 2004 camry standard

NoSpamForMe wrote:
> Is the remote (un)locking system still available for a 1995 Camry LE ? I
> don't need the alarm stuff, just the functionality which locks/unlocks the
> doors and blinks the lights, etc. from the little remote keychain unit.
>
> Any experiences with it, good or bad ? Would like to self-install it.
>
> I know the car is 9 years old, but only 88,000 miles and still runs/looks
> great. Plan to keep it as long as possible but my wife would like the
> remote unlock for when she gets out of work in the evening and walks out
> alone to the car in parking lot (reasonable request).
>
>

I bought my '95 Camry at the end of '96. The dealer sold me a LoJack
add-on fir about $450. In fact, all I really wanted was the remote
unlock feature. I got tired of the siren going off and installed a
minature toggle switch in the brown lead that totally disables the
siren. The light-blink feature was not installed.

The "Valet Mode" switch is a bit of an annoyance. Frequently, the cuff
on my pants pulls the switch into non-valet mode. This means the
ignition gets locked out but I'm not aware that anything has gone wrong
because the siren is disabled. I took the car back to Toyota because it
wouldn't start and they sold me a new $450 alternator. Of course this
didn't fix the problem.
  Reply With Quote
Old 14 Nov 2004, 11:34 pm   #5 (permalink)
aqua
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 2004 camry standard

William W. Plummer wrote:
|| NoSpamForMe wrote:
||| Is the remote (un)locking system still available for a 1995 Camry
||| LE ? I don't need the alarm stuff, just the functionality which
||| locks/unlocks the doors and blinks the lights, etc. from the little
||| remote keychain unit.
|||
||| Any experiences with it, good or bad ? Would like to self-install
||| it.
|||
||| I know the car is 9 years old, but only 88,000 miles and still
||| runs/looks great. Plan to keep it as long as possible but my wife
||| would like the remote unlock for when she gets out of work in the
||| evening and walks out alone to the car in parking lot (reasonable
||| request).
|||
|||
|| I bought my '95 Camry at the end of '96. The dealer sold me a LoJack
|| add-on fir about $450. In fact, all I really wanted was the remote
|| unlock feature. I got tired of the siren going off and installed a
|| minature toggle switch in the brown lead that totally disables the
|| siren. The light-blink feature was not installed.
||
|| The "Valet Mode" switch is a bit of an annoyance. Frequently, the
|| cuff on my pants pulls the switch into non-valet mode. This means
|| the ignition gets locked out but I'm not aware that anything has
|| gone wrong because the siren is disabled. I took the car back to
|| Toyota because it wouldn't start and they sold me a new $450
|| alternator. Of course this didn't fix the problem.

I'm sure that they twisted your arm into buying that new alternator!!


  Reply With Quote
Old 16 Nov 2004, 01:58 am   #6 (permalink)
Viperkiller
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 2004 camry standard

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 19:48:15 GMT, "NoSpamForMe"
<KeepYourSpam@not.here.net> wrote:

>Is the remote (un)locking system still available for a 1995 Camry LE ? I
>don't need the alarm stuff, just the functionality which locks/unlocks the
>doors and blinks the lights, etc. from the little remote keychain unit.
>
>Any experiences with it, good or bad ? Would like to self-install it.
>
>I know the car is 9 years old, but only 88,000 miles and still runs/looks
>great. Plan to keep it as long as possible but my wife would like the
>remote unlock for when she gets out of work in the evening and walks out
>alone to the car in parking lot (reasonable request).
>

Unfortuantely, the dealers usually only carries the accessories for 5
years. Unless a dealer has an old stock handy, your only choice is
aftermarket. I don't like aftermarket myself. If you really want to
do it for your wife, look for ones that seem to be heavy duty,
especially the remotes. They're fairly simple so the good ones should
be fairly reliable enough for how much longer you'll keep the car.
  Reply With Quote
Old 16 Nov 2004, 02:00 am   #7 (permalink)
Viperkiller
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: 2004 camry standard

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 05:34:15 GMT, "aqua" <velvet@tank.com> wrote:

>William W. Plummer wrote:
>|| NoSpamForMe wrote:
>||| Is the remote (un)locking system still available for a 1995 Camry
>||| LE ? I don't need the alarm stuff, just the functionality which
>||| locks/unlocks the doors and blinks the lights, etc. from the little
>||| remote keychain unit.
>|||
>||| Any experiences with it, good or bad ? Would like to self-install
>||| it.
>|||
>||| I know the car is 9 years old, but only 88,000 miles and still
>||| runs/looks great. Plan to keep it as long as possible but my wife
>||| would like the remote unlock for when she gets out of work in the
>||| evening and walks out alone to the car in parking lot (reasonable
>||| request).
>|||
>|||
>|| I bought my '95 Camry at the end of '96. The dealer sold me a LoJack
>|| add-on fir about $450. In fact, all I really wanted was the remote
>|| unlock feature. I got tired of the siren going off and installed a
>|| minature toggle switch in the brown lead that totally disables the
>|| siren. The light-blink feature was not installed.
>||
>|| The "Valet Mode" switch is a bit of an annoyance. Frequently, the
>|| cuff on my pants pulls the switch into non-valet mode. This means
>|| the ignition gets locked out but I'm not aware that anything has
>|| gone wrong because the siren is disabled. I took the car back to
>|| Toyota because it wouldn't start and they sold me a new $450
>|| alternator. Of course this didn't fix the problem.
>
>I'm sure that they twisted your arm into buying that new alternator!!
>

Poor diagnosis on the dealer's part though, wouldn't you say?
  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:32 pm.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.