Leather : Manufacturer's or Dealer's confusion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Dec 2004, 10:40 pm   #1 (permalink)
Norris Watkins
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Leather : Manufacturer's or Dealer's confusion

I m thinking of Buying a Toyota Camry :
I was told that LE model does not come with leather from the manufacturer.

But the dealer says that they have LE models with leather. And that they
have done the leather themselves with the exact same leather Manufacturer
uses.

1. Is there anything bad with these leather work ( Will it be less in
quality compared to that of the manufacturer )
2. Will I end up with paying more price for it, since the seats were once
made with fabric, and then done again with leather.
3. Since this leather work is done by the dealer, how will I calculate the
right price ( Invoice and MSRP ). Both Edmunds and msn only shows prices for
the manufacturer models.
4. In general is it advised to stick with the options that came directly
from the manufacturer.

Thanks a lot for reading




  Reply With Quote
Old 08 Dec 2004, 11:06 pm   #2 (permalink)
Ray O
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Leather : Manufacturer's or Dealer's confusion


"Norris Watkins" <norris_watkins@hotmail.com> wrote in message
newsBQtd.50571$Ch2.12183@bignews5.bellsouth.net. ..
>I m thinking of Buying a Toyota Camry :
> I was told that LE model does not come with leather from the manufacturer.
>

According to Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A. web site, the SE and XLE have leather
available, the standard and LE do not.

> But the dealer says that they have LE models with leather. And that they
> have done the leather themselves with the exact same leather Manufacturer
> uses.
>
> 1. Is there anything bad with these leather work ( Will it be less in
> quality compared to that of the manufacturer )


Hard to say what the quality will be. Maybe great, maybe terrible. The
manufacturer's warranty will not cover non-Toyota accessories and options so
you will be at the mercy of the dealer if a problem develops. Also, another
dealer will not be able to cover any material or workmanship problems with
the leather.

> 2. Will I end up with paying more price for it, since the seats were once
> made with fabric, and then done again with leather.


Compare prices from the factory and from the dealer.

> 3. Since this leather work is done by the dealer, how will I calculate the
> right price ( Invoice and MSRP ). Both Edmunds and msn only shows prices
> for the manufacturer models.


Check the premium for leather in the SE or XLE models and apply the same
premium to yours.

> 4. In general is it advised to stick with the options that came directly
> from the manufacturer.


Absolutely! Getting warranty coverage for non-genuine accessories is a big
hassle, especially because there is no easy way to predict the quality of
the accessories beforehand.
--
Ray O
correct the return address punctuation to reply


  Reply With Quote
Old 09 Dec 2004, 07:10 am   #3 (permalink)
nospampls2002@yahoo.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Leather : Manufacturer's or Dealer's confusion

Interesting.
That explains why the original owner had the dealer install "Classic
Soft Leather" trim.
Dealer counter parts person told me the aftermarket leather can be
better quality than original.
This brand was good quality in 1994 and they're still in business
today, so you might inquire about having that installed.
Yes, you do pay a premium for the installation, but done correctly it
is indistinguishable from factory leather - includes door panel trim
(however does not include steering wheel).
Recommended for leather, which they generally don't tell you - take
care of it. Check leatherique.com. to protect from deterioration,
especially from prolonged exposure to sun.

  Reply With Quote
Old 09 Dec 2004, 09:03 am   #4 (permalink)
D.D. Palmer
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Leather : Manufacturer's or Dealer's confusion

We had afterfactory leather in a 1993 Nissan Altima and it was fine. I
wouldn't be afraid to do it.


"Norris Watkins" <norris_watkins@hotmail.com> wrote in message
newsBQtd.50571$Ch2.12183@bignews5.bellsouth.net. ..
>I m thinking of Buying a Toyota Camry :
> I was told that LE model does not come with leather from the manufacturer.
>
> But the dealer says that they have LE models with leather. And that they
> have done the leather themselves with the exact same leather Manufacturer
> uses.
>
> 1. Is there anything bad with these leather work ( Will it be less in
> quality compared to that of the manufacturer )
> 2. Will I end up with paying more price for it, since the seats were once
> made with fabric, and then done again with leather.
> 3. Since this leather work is done by the dealer, how will I calculate the
> right price ( Invoice and MSRP ). Both Edmunds and msn only shows prices
> for the manufacturer models.
> 4. In general is it advised to stick with the options that came directly
> from the manufacturer.
>
> Thanks a lot for reading
>
>
>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 09 Dec 2004, 12:26 pm   #5 (permalink)
Norris Watkins
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Leather : Manufacturer's or Dealer's confusion


"D.D. Palmer" <ddpalmer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:IOCdneRxjr7e9CXcRVn-oA@comcast.com...
> We had afterfactory leather in a 1993 Nissan Altima and it was fine. I
> wouldn't be afraid to do it.


Thanks everybody who responded:
( Special Thanks to Ray for the detailed reply earlier )
I came across a friend who has had a Camry with dealer's leather. He says
quality wise he is perfectly satisfied.
But the question is, if I m paying more for it, because the dealer is doing
it.
Will it cost less if I get it done outside ?



>
>
> "Norris Watkins" <norris_watkins@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> newsBQtd.50571$Ch2.12183@bignews5.bellsouth.net. ..
>>I m thinking of Buying a Toyota Camry :
>> I was told that LE model does not come with leather from the
>> manufacturer.
>>
>> But the dealer says that they have LE models with leather. And that they
>> have done the leather themselves with the exact same leather Manufacturer
>> uses.
>>
>> 1. Is there anything bad with these leather work ( Will it be less in
>> quality compared to that of the manufacturer )
>> 2. Will I end up with paying more price for it, since the seats were once
>> made with fabric, and then done again with leather.
>> 3. Since this leather work is done by the dealer, how will I calculate
>> the right price ( Invoice and MSRP ). Both Edmunds and msn only shows
>> prices for the manufacturer models.
>> 4. In general is it advised to stick with the options that came directly
>> from the manufacturer.
>>
>> Thanks a lot for reading
>>
>>
>>
>>

>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 09 Dec 2004, 02:10 pm   #6 (permalink)
cks
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Leather : Manufacturer's or Dealer's confusion

Or you can get same equipped SE with leather for less.



"Norris Watkins" <norris_watkins@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:BJ0ud.64868$fY.21618@bignews3.bellsouth.net.. .
>
> "D.D. Palmer" <ddpalmer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:IOCdneRxjr7e9CXcRVn-oA@comcast.com...
> > We had afterfactory leather in a 1993 Nissan Altima and it was fine. I
> > wouldn't be afraid to do it.

>
> Thanks everybody who responded:
> ( Special Thanks to Ray for the detailed reply earlier )
> I came across a friend who has had a Camry with dealer's leather. He says
> quality wise he is perfectly satisfied.
> But the question is, if I m paying more for it, because the dealer is

doing
> it.
> Will it cost less if I get it done outside ?
>
>
>
> >
> >
> > "Norris Watkins" <norris_watkins@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > newsBQtd.50571$Ch2.12183@bignews5.bellsouth.net. ..
> >>I m thinking of Buying a Toyota Camry :
> >> I was told that LE model does not come with leather from the
> >> manufacturer.
> >>
> >> But the dealer says that they have LE models with leather. And that

they
> >> have done the leather themselves with the exact same leather

Manufacturer
> >> uses.
> >>
> >> 1. Is there anything bad with these leather work ( Will it be less in
> >> quality compared to that of the manufacturer )
> >> 2. Will I end up with paying more price for it, since the seats were

once
> >> made with fabric, and then done again with leather.
> >> 3. Since this leather work is done by the dealer, how will I calculate
> >> the right price ( Invoice and MSRP ). Both Edmunds and msn only shows
> >> prices for the manufacturer models.
> >> 4. In general is it advised to stick with the options that came

directly
> >> from the manufacturer.
> >>
> >> Thanks a lot for reading
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>

> >
> >

>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 09 Dec 2004, 04:12 pm   #7 (permalink)
Beans
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Leather : Manufacturer's or Dealer's confusion

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 23:40:10 -0500, "Norris Watkins"
<norris_watkins@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I m thinking of Buying a Toyota Camry :
>I was told that LE model does not come with leather from the manufacturer.
>
>But the dealer says that they have LE models with leather. And that they

If you get a Toyota from SouthEast Toyota (the distributor, not the
dealer), the leather is the same as the manufacturer.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09 Dec 2004, 04:46 pm   #8 (permalink)
Mark A
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Leather : Manufacturer's or Dealer's confusion

> Thanks everybody who responded:
> ( Special Thanks to Ray for the detailed reply earlier )
> I came across a friend who has had a Camry with dealer's leather. He says
> quality wise he is perfectly satisfied.
> But the question is, if I m paying more for it, because the dealer is

doing
> it.
> Will it cost less if I get it done outside ?
>

The dealer does not install leather. Trust me. The dealer has it done at a
local shop. Same applies to window tinting.

I don't know if you can get it done for less, even though the dealer marks
up the cost and makes a profit on it (the dealer may get a quantity discount
that you cannot get). But if you could find out who does the work for the
dealer, then you could certainly ask.

If the regional distributor installs the leather (as opposed to the
manufacturer or dealer), then that may, or may not, be different. They "may"
have enough volume to do it in house, or they may farm it out.


  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:40 am.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.