source for dash light bulbs?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Dec 2004, 02:44 pm   #1 (permalink)
LeftSpin
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default source for dash light bulbs?

Wow, the dealer wants a ton of money for the light bulbs that illuminate the
A/C button ( the back light bulb ), and for the two bulbs that illuminate
the 3 dials for heat, fan, and air location. I have a 2001 Camry. Anybody
know a cheaper source for these bulbs?

Thanks


  Reply With Quote
Old 14 Dec 2004, 06:45 pm   #2 (permalink)
ROBMURR
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: source for dash light bulbs?

Does he want a ton of money to install the bulbs, they are not easy
to replace. Look in your owners manual for the bulb number, should
be easy to find.
  Reply With Quote
Old 14 Dec 2004, 08:46 pm   #3 (permalink)
HachiRoku
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: source for dash light bulbs?

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 00:45:00 +0000, ROBMURR wrote:

> Does he want a ton of money to install the bulbs, they are not easy
> to replace. Look in your owners manual for the bulb number, should
> be easy to find.


There are two types of bulbs in a Toyota dash: the larger ones, that can
be replaced with either a #168 or #194 (I did my '85 Corolla with Blue
#194s!) and a smaller one; if you ever worked with model cars or model
trains, like the lighting for the street signs on a railraod layout,
called 'wheatgrain' bulbs. These are the ones used for the temp controls
and the middle section of the dash; they are not easily found. I have gone
to junkyards for parts, and when I do I yank them from the dash, because I
have not found a supplier yet!

  Reply With Quote
Old 14 Dec 2004, 10:47 pm   #4 (permalink)
Philip
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: source for dash light bulbs?



"HachiRoku" <Trueno@ae86.GTS> wrote in message
news:MzNvd.12973$sr2.8514@trndny02
> On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 00:45:00 +0000, ROBMURR wrote:
>
>> Does he want a ton of money to install the bulbs, they are not easy
>> to replace. Look in your owners manual for the bulb number, should
>> be easy to find.

>
> There are two types of bulbs in a Toyota dash: the larger ones,
> that can be replaced with either a #168 or #194 (I did my '85
> Corolla with Blue #194s!) and a smaller one; if you ever worked
> with model cars or model trains, like the lighting for the street
> signs on a railraod layout, called 'wheatgrain' bulbs. These are
> the ones used for the temp controls and the middle section of the
> dash; they are not easily found. I have gone to junkyards for
> parts, and when I do I yank them from the dash, because I have not
> found a supplier yet!


You might try a Radio Shack store.


  Reply With Quote
Old 15 Dec 2004, 12:19 am   #5 (permalink)
HachiRoku
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: source for dash light bulbs?

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 04:47:05 +0000, Philip wrote:

>
>
> "HachiRoku" <Trueno@ae86.GTS> wrote in message
> news:MzNvd.12973$sr2.8514@trndny02
>> On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 00:45:00 +0000, ROBMURR wrote:
>>
>>> Does he want a ton of money to install the bulbs, they are not easy
>>> to replace. Look in your owners manual for the bulb number, should
>>> be easy to find.

>>
>> There are two types of bulbs in a Toyota dash: the larger ones,
>> that can be replaced with either a #168 or #194 (I did my '85
>> Corolla with Blue #194s!) and a smaller one; if you ever worked
>> with model cars or model trains, like the lighting for the street
>> signs on a railraod layout, called 'wheatgrain' bulbs. These are
>> the ones used for the temp controls and the middle section of the
>> dash; they are not easily found. I have gone to junkyards for
>> parts, and when I do I yank them from the dash, because I have not
>> found a supplier yet!

>
> You might try a Radio Shack store.



They have them with Looooong leads!
  Reply With Quote
Old 15 Dec 2004, 12:25 am   #6 (permalink)
Philip
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: source for dash light bulbs?



"HachiRoku" <Trueno@ae86.GTS> wrote in message
news:QHQvd.5577$eO5.5432@trndny08
> On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 04:47:05 +0000, Philip wrote:
>
>>
>>
>> "HachiRoku" <Trueno@ae86.GTS> wrote in message
>> news:MzNvd.12973$sr2.8514@trndny02
>>> On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 00:45:00 +0000, ROBMURR wrote:
>>>
>>>> Does he want a ton of money to install the bulbs, they are not
>>>> easy to replace. Look in your owners manual for the bulb number,
>>>> should be easy to find.
>>>
>>> There are two types of bulbs in a Toyota dash: the larger ones,
>>> that can be replaced with either a #168 or #194 (I did my '85
>>> Corolla with Blue #194s!) and a smaller one; if you ever worked
>>> with model cars or model trains, like the lighting for the street
>>> signs on a railraod layout, called 'wheatgrain' bulbs. These are
>>> the ones used for the temp controls and the middle section of the
>>> dash; they are not easily found. I have gone to junkyards for
>>> parts, and when I do I yank them from the dash, because I have not
>>> found a supplier yet!

>>
>> You might try a Radio Shack store.

>
>
> They have them with Looooong leads!


They also have them in bayonet and push-in bases.


  Reply With Quote
Old 15 Dec 2004, 08:00 pm   #7 (permalink)
HachiRoku
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: source for dash light bulbs?

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 06:25:00 +0000, Philip wrote:

>
>
> "HachiRoku" <Trueno@ae86.GTS> wrote in message
> news:QHQvd.5577$eO5.5432@trndny08
>> On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 04:47:05 +0000, Philip wrote:
>>
>>>
>>>
>>> "HachiRoku" <Trueno@ae86.GTS> wrote in message
>>> news:MzNvd.12973$sr2.8514@trndny02
>>>> On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 00:45:00 +0000, ROBMURR wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> Does he want a ton of money to install the bulbs, they are not
>>>>> easy to replace. Look in your owners manual for the bulb number,
>>>>> should be easy to find.
>>>>
>>>> There are two types of bulbs in a Toyota dash: the larger ones,
>>>> that can be replaced with either a #168 or #194 (I did my '85
>>>> Corolla with Blue #194s!) and a smaller one; if you ever worked
>>>> with model cars or model trains, like the lighting for the street
>>>> signs on a railraod layout, called 'wheatgrain' bulbs. These are
>>>> the ones used for the temp controls and the middle section of the
>>>> dash; they are not easily found. I have gone to junkyards for
>>>> parts, and when I do I yank them from the dash, because I have not
>>>> found a supplier yet!
>>>
>>> You might try a Radio Shack store.

>>
>>
>> They have them with Looooong leads!

>
> They also have them in bayonet and push-in bases.



Hmmm....I never have seen the small ones in Rad Shack. I'll check it.
Thanks!

  Reply With Quote
Old 20 Dec 2004, 04:12 pm   #8 (permalink)
LeftSpin
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: source for dash light bulbs?

The part number isn't too hard to look up. The cost is pretty high. $7 for a
single bulb!

"ROBMURR" <robmurr@aol.com> wrote in message
news:20041214194500.06545.00001885@mb-m15.aol.com...
> Does he want a ton of money to install the bulbs, they are not easy
> to replace. Look in your owners manual for the bulb number, should
> be easy to find.



  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:15 am.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.