'94 Camry Transmission

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Dec 2004, 05:56 pm   #1 (permalink)
WisWinters
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default '94 Camry Transmission

I drive a 1994 Camry LE, with 117K miles on it and just recently started to
have a problem with the transmission. I live in WI and since it has become
cold my car will not shift easily from 3rd to 4th gear (or 4th and 5th i
not 100% sure). I can cruise at 65 miles/hr for a couple of miles and the
RPMs will keep increasing going up to 3600 or higher without shifting into
the next gear.
Its not like it hasnt had a chance to shift yet, for I gave it plenty
of enough time and hit 60 mi/hr around 3000 rpms.
I was wondering if this is solely because it is cold and the car has
not warmed up yet or if there is a bigger problem with the transmission.
Any advice or insights would be very much appreciated. -> A.R

  Reply With Quote
Old 14 Dec 2004, 06:29 pm   #2 (permalink)
Sam
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: '94 Camry Transmission

I'm starting to notice the same problem on my 93 Camry(4 cyln). They
delayed shift happens when the engine is cold and usually it starts to shift
normally after normal engine temp is reached. I've changed transmission
fluid and cleaned filter but that didn't cure the delayed transmission
shifts. I very curious to find out what could case this problem.
Sam
"WisWinters" <angelchicaa0019@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:f6768f7b5ae8edf8a5f91318e92d448a@localhost.ta lkaboutautos.com...
>I drive a 1994 Camry LE, with 117K miles on it and just recently started to
> have a problem with the transmission. I live in WI and since it has
> become
> cold my car will not shift easily from 3rd to 4th gear (or 4th and 5th i
> not 100% sure). I can cruise at 65 miles/hr for a couple of miles and the
> RPMs will keep increasing going up to 3600 or higher without shifting into
> the next gear.
> Its not like it hasnt had a chance to shift yet, for I gave it plenty
> of enough time and hit 60 mi/hr around 3000 rpms.
> I was wondering if this is solely because it is cold and the car has
> not warmed up yet or if there is a bigger problem with the transmission.
> Any advice or insights would be very much appreciated. -> A.R
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 14 Dec 2004, 06:41 pm   #3 (permalink)
ROBMURR
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: '94 Camry Transmission

How often has the transmission and
differential been serviced? If the car
is cold it won't go into 4th until the
trans is warm..should go into 3rd ok..


  Reply With Quote
Old 14 Dec 2004, 08:42 pm   #4 (permalink)
HachiRoku
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: '94 Camry Transmission

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 18:56:55 -0500, WisWinters wrote:

> I drive a 1994 Camry LE, with 117K miles on it and just recently started to
> have a problem with the transmission. I live in WI and since it has become
> cold my car will not shift easily from 3rd to 4th gear (or 4th and 5th i
> not 100% sure). I can cruise at 65 miles/hr for a couple of miles and the
> RPMs will keep increasing going up to 3600 or higher without shifting into
> the next gear.
> Its not like it hasnt had a chance to shift yet, for I gave it plenty
> of enough time and hit 60 mi/hr around 3000 rpms.
> I was wondering if this is solely because it is cold and the car has
> not warmed up yet or if there is a bigger problem with the transmission.
> Any advice or insights would be very much appreciated. -> A.R



This is common; I don't know why. My '95 Tercel was the first Auto toy I
ever owned, and it would wait until the engine reached a certain temp
before making the leap into OD. Check the guage; I bet it starts to shift
up when the temp guage hits the same point every time.
  Reply With Quote
Old 14 Dec 2004, 08:49 pm   #5 (permalink)
ROBMURR
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: '94 Camry Transmission

It is designed this way so that the trans
will not try to go to overdrive while cold.
I bet you park outside also. Takes a
few minutes for trans fluid to go from
20 degrees to 200 degrees. You have
4 speeds..1,2,3,4th is your overdrive.
  Reply With Quote
Old 14 Dec 2004, 10:33 pm   #6 (permalink)
WisWinters
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: '94 Camry Transmission

I actually do park in a garage, but when its 5 degrees out Im sure there is
not much u can do.

Thank you all of you! this is very helpful and I am glad to know that this
is fairly normal.

  Reply With Quote
Old 14 Dec 2004, 10:47 pm   #7 (permalink)
Philip
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: '94 Camry Transmission



"ROBMURR" <robmurr@aol.com> wrote in message
news:20041214214953.21945.00002050@mb-m06.aol.com
> It is designed this way so that the trans
> will not try to go to overdrive while cold.
> I bet you park outside also. Takes a
> few minutes for trans fluid to go from
> 20 degrees to 200 degrees. You have
> 4 speeds..1,2,3,4th is your overdrive.


Takes quite a bit longer. Because there is a heat exchanger in the "cool"
side of the radiator, the transmission oil temperature tends to stabilize a
bit lower than engine coolant temperature. The rise and fall of ATF
temperature FOLLOWS that of the engine coolant.

Electronically managed automatics usually prevent OD/lockup until engine
temperature has reached 120 degrees (varies). As you said, the colder the
engine is at cold start up, the longer it takes to reach 120 degrees coolant
temperature.

--

- Philip


  Reply With Quote
Old 15 Dec 2004, 02:36 pm   #8 (permalink)
Johnny Melvin
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: '94 Camry Transmission


"WisWinters" <angelchicaa0019@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:f6768f7b5ae8edf8a5f91318e92d448a@localhost.ta lkaboutautos.com...
> I drive a 1994 Camry LE, with 117K miles on it and just recently started

to
> have a problem with the transmission. I live in WI and since it has

become
> cold my car will not shift easily from 3rd to 4th gear (or 4th and 5th i
> not 100% sure). I can cruise at 65 miles/hr for a couple of miles and the
> RPMs will keep increasing going up to 3600 or higher without shifting into
> the next gear.
> Its not like it hasnt had a chance to shift yet, for I gave it plenty
> of enough time and hit 60 mi/hr around 3000 rpms.
> I was wondering if this is solely because it is cold and the car has
> not warmed up yet or if there is a bigger problem with the transmission.
> Any advice or insights would be very much appreciated. -> A.R
>


I have a 95 4 cyl Auto.

Mine does the same.
I am sure there is a comment to this effect in either the Owners Handbook.
Or the Haynes Manual I have.

Anyway I know I have read it.
AH...... peace of mind.

Johnny UK.


  Reply With Quote
Old 15 Dec 2004, 10:09 pm   #9 (permalink)
kiselink@mindspring.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: '94 Camry Transmission


>Takes quite a bit longer. Because there is a heat exchanger in the "cool"
>side of the radiator, the transmission oil temperature tends to stabilize a
>bit lower than engine coolant temperature. The rise and fall of ATF
>temperature FOLLOWS that of the engine coolant.


Assuming your correct, the poster stated:
>I drive a 1994 Camry LE, with 117K miles on it and just recently started
>to have a problem with the transmission.


Assuming the behavior has changed, then there would seem to be some
sort of problem.
It would seem that either the thermostat is mis-reading the temp or
perhaps a valve opens and circulates cold coolant when it shouldn't.


  Reply With Quote
Old 15 Dec 2004, 10:41 pm   #10 (permalink)
Philip
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: '94 Camry Transmission



<kiselink@mindspring.com> wrote in message
news:lb22s095b380498upbbtbde5bo78hrch9e@4ax.com
>> Takes quite a bit longer. Because there is a heat exchanger in
>> the "cool" side of the radiator, the transmission oil temperature
>> tends to stabilize a bit lower than engine coolant temperature.
>> The rise and fall of ATF temperature FOLLOWS that of the engine
>> coolant.

>
> Assuming your correct, the poster stated:
>> I drive a 1994 Camry LE, with 117K miles on it and just recently
>> started to have a problem with the transmission.

>
> Assuming the behavior has changed, then there would seem to be some
> sort of problem.
> It would seem that either the thermostat is mis-reading the temp or
> perhaps a valve opens and circulates cold coolant when it shouldn't.


Starting out TWO responses with the word "assuming" does not bode well. LOL

It is winter ... which generally means it takes more time/distance for the
engine to surpass the threshold where OD is permitted. "Gee ... I never
noticed that behavior before...." The question is; before what?

A change in actual behavior or perception? Since cars have computers for
both the engine and transmission governance and since temperature has a
profound effect on emissions, the programing of both can/will adjust for
conditions.

A thermostat IS a valve.

--

- Philip


  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:54 am.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.