Camry hesitates warm and idling

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Mar 2005, 09:02 pm   #1 (permalink)
TeriMaki
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Camry hesitates warm and idling

I have a camry 95 about 127k miles on it. Recently had the front
exhaust pipe replaced as it was broken and was leaking.

The front pipe comes with the catalyst.

After that I started to have some trouble ...
Cold start is fine and driving around for 5-10 mts it starts to
hesitates when cars comes to a halt (like a stop sign or signal light)
it also stalls sometimes.

I changed the spark plugs the wires and also cleaned the throtle
body...still the same problem

Any ideas ???

Thanks

  Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2005, 05:37 am   #2 (permalink)
qslim
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Camry hesitates warm and idling

Check to see that your egr valve is closing at idle.

  Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2005, 11:49 am   #3 (permalink)
TeriMaki
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Camry hesitates warm and idling


qslim wrote:
> Check to see that your egr valve is closing at idle.


The mechanic ...
Sawpped the EGR valve with a working one...no difference
Sawpped the Throttle body with a working one...no difference

This morning when I started the car and was looking at the new front
pipe
where it joins the manifold, i saw water dripping (at the time of
warmup only).

This leak stops when the car is warmed up.

Would this exhaust leak at the exhaust join that might be causing this
?

Note this problem of hesitation started after the replacement of the
front pipe.


Any inputs greatly appreciated.

  Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2005, 02:12 pm   #4 (permalink)
Daniel
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Camry hesitates warm and idling

this problem of hesitation started after the replacement of the
front pipe
----------
Seems to indicate a problem with that part.
Not sure what that would be, possibly creating internal back pressure
somehow.
If you had it installed, perhaps they can check.
Was this a genuine Toyota replacement part?
A rough unofficial check for back pressure is to connect a vacuum gauge
to the intake manifold, hold the engine at fixed rpm and see if vacuum
drops with constant throttle - vacuum drop being analagous to pressure
rise.

  Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2005, 03:49 pm   #5 (permalink)
m Ransley
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Camry hesitates warm and idling

If you have a leak-water dripping, the repair shop is responsible . My
O2 sensor is on the manifold , I dont know if this could cause your
issue, but perhaps the wire connection or sensor is broke?

  Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2005, 06:31 pm   #6 (permalink)
qslim
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Camry hesitates warm and idling

Well, an exhaust leak may cause the car to stall by tricking the O2 sensor
into thinking that the mixture is too lean. The computer tries to
compensate by adding more and more fuel, but too much fuel @ idle will
cause a stall. Usually the leak is very audible, but I actually just fixed
one a few weeks ago (that took several days to figure out) that had a
similar issue. The manifold was cracked in such a particular way that it
only sucked in outside air, so it was totally inaudible. Had to use a
smoke machine to find it. Drove me nuts.
To make a long story worse...
Anyway, you should at least have your tech check the work that he just did
if the condition appeared immediately after the repair. Buena suerte.

  Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2005, 07:01 pm   #7 (permalink)
TeriMaki
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Camry hesitates warm and idling

Daniel wrote:
> this problem of hesitation started after the replacement of the
> front pipe
> ----------
> Seems to indicate a problem with that part.
> Not sure what that would be, possibly creating internal back pressure
> somehow.
> If you had it installed, perhaps they can check.
> Was this a genuine Toyota replacement part?
> A rough unofficial check for back pressure is to connect a vacuum

gauge
> to the intake manifold, hold the engine at fixed rpm and see if

vacuum
> drops with constant throttle - vacuum drop being analagous to

pressure
> rise.

No, it was NOT a genuine Toyota part.
The mechanic got a generic brand for 350$
The original from Toyota was for 650$.

I will have them try the above test.
Thanks

  Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2005, 10:58 pm   #8 (permalink)
Jason James
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Camry hesitates warm and idling


"TeriMaki" <teri_maki@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1110247268.403944.36850@f14g2000cwb.googlegro ups.com...
> I have a camry 95 about 127k miles on it. Recently had the front
> exhaust pipe replaced as it was broken and was leaking.
>
> The front pipe comes with the catalyst.
>
> After that I started to have some trouble ...
> Cold start is fine and driving around for 5-10 mts it starts to
> hesitates when cars comes to a halt (like a stop sign or signal light)
> it also stalls sometimes.
>
> I changed the spark plugs the wires and also cleaned the throtle
> body...still the same problem
>
> Any ideas ???
>
> Thanks


As the car didn't have the problem before when the exhaust was leaking, a
leak now (which you cant hear) doesnt sound like the problem. The O2 sensor
lives in the exhaust manifold just above the exhaust flange. Maybe its
cactus or its wiring is broken, thru misadventure and the car is operating
too rich once it heats up?

Jason


  Reply With Quote
Old 13 Mar 2005, 08:02 am   #9 (permalink)
TeriMaki
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Camry hesitates warm and idling

> As the car didn't have the problem before when the exhaust was
leaking, a
> leak now (which you cant hear) doesnt sound like the problem. The O2

sensor
> lives in the exhaust manifold just above the exhaust flange. Maybe

its
> cactus or its wiring is broken, thru misadventure and the car is

operating
> too rich once it heats up?
>
> Jason



Thanks for all your input...After 3 weeks of going back and forth with
the mechanic...the problem is now fixed.

It was a bad ignition coil that was causing this problem.

The mechanic had already tried the O2 sensor and he also fixed the leak
that was at the junction of the manifold and the front pipe...but did
not work.

After more research...here and other sites I asked him to try the
ignition coil and it worked.

Thanks again.

  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:39 pm.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.