No power to antenna on my 94 Camry

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Mar 2005, 11:02 pm   #1 (permalink)
kimp
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default No power to antenna on my 94 Camry

I have a 94 Camry XLE. I replaced the broken antenna with one I
purchased from a salvage yard. The old one was broken off when
another driver in the family (no not me) took it through the car wash
with the antenna up and it broke off. Now there is no power to the
replacement. I want to make sure it is not a fuse issue, but canít
seem to locate any information on the fuse location for the power
antenna. Does anyone know which fuse controls the power antenna or
any other issue I should look into before returning the antenna?
Thank you for any input you can give me on this issue.

--
Posted using the http://www.autoforumz.com interface, at author's request
Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Camry-powe...ict107232.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=500158
  Reply With Quote
Old 13 Mar 2005, 08:07 am   #2 (permalink)
kiselink@mindspring.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: No power to antenna on my 94 Camry

I would be surprised if its a fuse issue. Inside the annenna mast is
a plastic line with lots of teeth. When the radio is turned on/off, a
motor starts up and a gear turns. The gear pulls on the teeth which
makes the plastic line go in/out which makes antenna go up or down.
_________________________
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ||||||||
O <- gear.

The plastic breaks after a time - I have replaced my antenna mast
twice. (You only replace the mast).

To diagnos the problem, have someone turn on /off the radio while
someone is near the antenna (or open the trunk). Listen to see if a
motor kicks on for a few seconds.

To get at and replace the mast you do the following:

There is a nut (of sorts) on the exterior of the car where the mast
stickout through the car body. It doesnt look like a nut but it is.

The upulstory (no i caint spill) needs to be removed on the right side
of the trunk near where you think the antenna sucks into.

There is a thing there that receives the line/teeth as it pulls down
the antenna. It has to be opened up because some of the line/teeth
are in there. Once that broken piece is removed, all you do is turn
on the radio and feed the new line/teeth in. It apparently sell
adjusts and figures out when to shut itself off once the antenna is
all the way up or down.




On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 05:02:02 -0000, kimp
<UseLinkToEmail@AutoForumz.com> wrote:

>I have a 94 Camry XLE. I replaced the broken antenna with one I
>purchased from a salvage yard. The old one was broken off when
>another driver in the family (no not me) took it through the car wash
>with the antenna up and it broke off. Now there is no power to the
>replacement. I want to make sure it is not a fuse issue, but canít
>seem to locate any information on the fuse location for the power
>antenna. Does anyone know which fuse controls the power antenna or
>any other issue I should look into before returning the antenna?
>Thank you for any input you can give me on this issue.


  Reply With Quote
Old 13 Mar 2005, 10:55 am   #3 (permalink)
0_Qed
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default :-) Re: No power to antenna on my 94 Camry

kimp wrote:
> I have a 94 Camry XLE.


....snip...

I have the Toy 94 USA OEM shop manuals ... still trying to fathom same.
:-)

................
Havent located your fuses yet ...
but
ran across a "note" suggesting =NOT= to =directly= run
the antenna up/down for more than three(3) seconds ...
.... burns out some coils in the antenna assembly ...

Me? I'd use one(1) second bat volts.

................
Access the plug connectors to the antenna assembly ... rite trunk rear
....
USA passenger side ... disconnect.


..............
From the body wiring harness 'side' of the nine(9) pin connector ...
.... the half_plug remaining attached to the cbl harness ...
the open 'pins' are per_manual ID'd as ;
..
.. lock-tab
.. [1] [2] [empty] [3] [4]
.. [5] [6] [7] [8] [9]
..
.. ... "looking" into the above connector.
.. ... lock_tab on "top/up" ,
.. ... top mid row pin "position" occupied by the lock tab
..
.. stands to "reason" the half_plug pins on the antenna are reverse
numbered. :-)


Antenna on the bench ... =short=/=quick= test of motor operation .
A !!=short_quick=!! application of bat voltage to test the assembly's
motor
as follows ;
.. stands to "reason" the half_plug pins on the antenna are reverse
numbered. :-)
.. stands to "reason" the half_plug pins on the antenna are reverse
numbered. :-)
.. stands to "reason" the half_plug pins on the antenna are reverse
numbered. :-)
at the risk of repetition ...
..
.. (+)_bat to [1]
.. (-) bat to [4] ... antenna up

.. (-)_bat to [1]
.. (+) bat to [4] ... antenna down

"This" aughta proof out the antenna assly pin IDs ...
and shouldnt hurt if 'reversed" ...

.....................................
From the body wiring harness 'side' of the nine(9) pin connector ...
.... the half_plug remaining attached to the cbl harness ...
..
.. ign sw in ACC/ON ... pin [5] aughta show bat volts , meter/testlight
TO grnd
..
.. ign sw ACC/ON, rad/cas ON ... pin [6] = bat volts
..
.. ign sw ACC/ON , rad OFF, cas ON ... pin [8] NOT= bat volts
..
.. ign sw ACC/ON , rad ON, cas OFF ... pin [8] = bat volts
..
.. ign sw ON ... pin [9] = bat volts
..
.. "which" above aughta show good/bad fuse(s) , wheresomeever "they" are
..

hth,
Ed
  Reply With Quote
Old 13 Mar 2005, 01:12 pm   #4 (permalink)
kimp
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: Re: No power to antenna on my 94 Camry

"kiselink" wrote:
> I would be surprised if its a fuse issue. Inside the annenna
> mast is
> a plastic line with lots of teeth. When the radio is turned
> on/off, a
> motor starts up and a gear turns. The gear pulls on the teeth
> which
> makes the plastic line go in/out which makes antenna go up or
> down.
> _________________________
> |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ||||||||
> O <- gear.
>
> The plastic breaks after a time - I have replaced my antenna
> mast
> twice. (You only replace the mast).
>
> To diagnos the problem, have someone turn on /off the radio
> while
> someone is near the antenna (or open the trunk). Listen to see
> if a
> motor kicks on for a few seconds.
>
> To get at and replace the mast you do the following:
>
> There is a nut (of sorts) on the exterior of the car where the
> mast
> stickout through the car body. It doesnt look like a nut but
> it is.
>
> The upulstory (no i caint spill) needs to be removed on the
> right side
> of the trunk near where you think the antenna sucks into.
>
> There is a thing there that receives the line/teeth as it
> pulls down
> the antenna. It has to be opened up because some of the
> line/teeth
> are in there. Once that broken piece is removed, all you do
> is turn
> on the radio and feed the new line/teeth in. It apparently
> sell
> adjusts and figures out when to shut itself off once the
> antenna is
> all the way up or down.
>
>
>
>
> On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 05:02:02 -0000, kimp
> <UseLinkToEmail@AutoForumz.com> wrote:
>
> >I have a 94 Camry XLE. I replaced the broken antenna with

> one I
> >purchased from a salvage yard. The old one was broken off

> when
> >another driver in the family (no not me) took it through the

> car wash
> >with the antenna up and it broke off. Now there is no power

> to the
> >replacement. I want to make sure it is not a fuse issue, but

> canít
> >seem to locate any information on the fuse location for the

> power
> >antenna. Does anyone know which fuse controls the power

> antenna or
> >any other issue I should look into before returning the

> antenna?
> >Thank you for any input you can give me on this issue.


I didnít make this clear, but there is no power to the antenna. When
the radio is turned on, there is no response at all from the antenna.
Thatís why I think there is a fuse (or something like that) issue.

--
Posted using the http://www.autoforumz.com interface, at author's request
Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Camry-powe...ict107232.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=500544
  Reply With Quote
Old 17 Mar 2005, 08:19 pm   #5 (permalink)
kiselink@mindspring.com
Guest
  • Posts: n/a
  • User Status:


Default Re: No power to antenna on my 94 Camry


>I didnít make this clear, but there is no power to the antenna. When
>the radio is turned on, there is no response at all from the antenna.
>Thatís why I think there is a fuse (or something like that) issue.


Maybe you made it clear...maybe I didnt read it to carefully.

Here is what my V6 95 Camry Factory Service Manual says (not my
favorite manual).

For the audio system:

Diagram of a Camry Sedan:
Item 1: "Antenna Motor - Antenna Motor Control Relay"
Located just behind the right rear wheel.
Item 2: The diagram shows the fuse box above the left front wheel.
Nothing is written.

Diagram of a Camry Station Wagon (has both antenna motor and window
embedded antenna).
Item 2: "Junction Block No. 2 - DOME fuse"
Located under the hood above the left front tire. No other fuses are
mentioned. <<so the first diagram is incomplete!>>


Under troubleshooting, there are separate components (among others)
identified.

Radio - Radio not operating when power switch turned to ON. Says
check if RADIO fuse is OK - yes - check if DOME fuse is OK ......
non-fuse stuff. <<So sounds like there are two fuses in the fuse box
above the left wheel. >>

Attenna - <<no mention of any fuses>>
Does it extend - Yes - ....
No - Inspect antenna motor - NG - Antenana motor faulty
OK-Inspect antenna moteor control relay (Relay Circuit) - OK - Relay
faulty
NG -Is power related to the antenna being niput to the antenna montor
control relay - Yes- Relay circuit faulty
No - Check continuity between antenna motorl control relay and radio -
NG - wire hanrness faulty
Ok - Radio side faulty


Now for the reality check. My camry has two boxes just infront of the
left front tire. In the one box is a fuse that says RADIO. In the
other box there is a fuse that says DOME.

Hope that helps! If you need exploded details, let me know but I
gave you the ones as you defined your problem.

Good luck!

  Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:36 pm.

Attribution:
Autoblog
Powered by Yahoo Answers



ToyotaLexusForum.com is an unofficial community for car enthusiasts. ToyotaLexusForum.com is not affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation in any way.
Toyota Motor Corporation does not sponsor, support, or endorse ToyotaLexusForum.com in any way.
Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.